GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been getting an intermittent howl in the area of the drivers side, rear wheel. Seems to start over 50 mph all the way up to 70 or more. The howl gets louder when the brakes are applied. No pulsation in the pedal, and only a slight vibration while in the drivers seat. When sitting in the 2nd row behind the driver, the howl sounds like it is coming through the wheel well under you. It is not road related.

Dealer said I have flat spots on my tires. ::) Had the tire shop rotate the Michelins, and check the balance on them. Problem came back, so that rules out the flat spots. Brakes are fine too. Driving this morning, and the howl starts up right away. I head to the dealer. Howling all the way if going over 50, and louder if hitting the brakes from that speed.

Talk to the service writer, and ask for a technician to ride with me. Problem was noted in previous visit, so the tech and I go for a ride. Head out to the highway. Nothing. Smooth as glass, no noise. I am furious, but the tech and I get a good laugh. :banghead: We loop back to the dealer and take a different road, and it happens. It starts howling. We pull over, and he takes the wheel. He gets it to howl as well. He also notices that when swerving left and then right, the howl will come and go. Possible bearing?? ???

71k on this '07 Acadia with AWD. Hoping this one is covered, since my AC is on the fritz too. :eek:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Bearings is what came to mind from the beginning

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If a bearing, is it covered under the 100k powertrain warranty. Just had the car in for a trans seal leak that was covered, thankfully.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I don't think bearings are covered, unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone 3G S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, finally got the Acadia into the shop.....tech said my caliper on the drivers side rear was sticking. Brake area was very hot, strong metal-to-metal smell(friction). Had another dealer check the brakes back in March for this issue, but they found nothing wrong. :confused: Watching this repair closely. If it comes back, probably the bearing. Its been well over a week, and no howl.

AC was another story.... :eek:hno:

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
dc65nova,

I am glad that you are not experiencing the howl issue any longer.

In the future, don't hesitate to contact me with questions and/or concerns.

Michelle, GMC Customer Service

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our favorite car lost out to repairs. Car developed a second oil leak. Repaired in late 2010 for 1st oil leak. This latest leak was leaving oil on garage floor and burnt oil smell at front of car. Took it into dealer- they said it needed a head gasket. Couple of days later, may need cylinder heads. Excessive cam play. Replaced heads after having car 10 days. Leak appeared to be fixed. Also had cruise control issue, that they thought could be from oil leak. Not following that logic. Never confirmmed if cruise was fixed. Car still had burnt oil smell, about a week after repair(under warranty at 90k miles). Then I noticed oil again. Still leaking!

Traded car in for Honda Crv. Sorry, but the problems got to be too much. This 07 Acadia was in the shop more than any other car we have owned. Loved the car, but reliability was questionable and would not improve as warranty expired in the next month. Did not see this car making 150k without huge bills coming. Worst design I have ever seen for headlight replacement.

I have been a GM guy for many yrs, even driving a Chevy while working for the Blue Oval, but this car soured me on our future purchase. Looked at Equinox, but questioned if we sould get more if the same. Good luck to the rest of you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been getting an intermittent howl in the area of the drivers side, rear wheel. Seems to start over 50 mph all the way up to 70 or more. The howl gets louder when the brakes are applied. No pulsation in the pedal, and only a slight vibration while in the drivers seat. When sitting in the 2nd row behind the driver, the howl sounds like it is coming through the wheel well under you. It is not road related.

Dealer said I have flat spots on my tires. ::) Had the tire shop rotate the Michelins, and check the balance on them. Problem came back, so that rules out the flat spots. Brakes are fine too. Driving this morning, and the howl starts up right away. I head to the dealer. Howling all the way if going over 50, and louder if hitting the brakes from that speed.

Talk to the service writer, and ask for a technician to ride with me. Problem was noted in previous visit, so the tech and I go for a ride. Head out to the highway. Nothing. Smooth as glass, no noise. I am furious, but the tech and I get a good laugh. :banghead: We loop back to the dealer and take a different road, and it happens. It starts howling. We pull over, and he takes the wheel. He gets it to howl as well. He also notices that when swerving left and then right, the howl will come and go. Possible bearing?? ???

71k on this '07 Acadia with AWD. Hoping this one is covered, since my AC is on the fritz too. :eek:
I'm having the exact same problem with my 2014 GMC Acadia, did you finally figure out what the problem was? Our dealer is telling us our diff bearings are bad and they want to replace the entire diff.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem with my 2014 GMC Acadia, did you finally figure out what the problem was? Our dealer is telling us our diff bearings are bad and they want to replace the entire diff.
Thanks
I'm also having the same issue with my 2017. It's the wife's car, so I have to rely on her reports of hearing it. I've heard it a couple of times when I was driving it. 1st time I heard it-- windows were up, it was fairly loud, and it sounded like a car behind me with loud exhaust, but no car behind me. Have you taken it to the dealer, if so, what did they find and what did they do to fix it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts