GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about the ladies on this forum. Are the rear backup sensors sufficient, or is the rear camera absolutely necessary? Also, would bigger mirrors help? I hope GM seriously finds ways to make it easier to backup up...My wife has warmed up to the idea of an Acadia/Outlook, so when I'm ready to test drive (considering buying in 18 months) I hope this issue would be worked out. GM should just offer the camera as a stand-alone option.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I am 5 feet 1. I don't have a problem backing up as long as I am paying attention. I don't think visibility is that bad, but of course I've driven convertables before and they are MUCH worse with the top up. I don't need the camera or larger mirrors, but I think the camera is an option now.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My wife drives our Enclave and I think that has an even smaller rear window than the Acadia. She has had no complaints without having the rear view camera. She drove a boat Expedition prior to this however.

·
Registered
35 Posts
no problems here, i think the backup sensors are very sensitive and they even tend to detect obstacles on the side also which is great for me.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have been thinking about putting the convex lense on the side mirrors to help, but overall I can see just fine. The rear assist is very nice, you just got to make up your mind that it does and will work.

·
Registered
730 Posts
it would be nice if the rear view camera is fitted with a wide angle lens ..something like 0.5x or 0.3x

·
Registered
524 Posts
I use these "Spider Eye's"

They're meant for the upper inside corner of the side mirror, but give better vis on the lower outside. They let me see the entire lane next to the one I am traveling in, as well as increasing the vision near the side of the bumper.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dan,

Where did you get those?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Boltbacker said:
Dan,

Where did you get those?

SCHUCKS! About $6.00 I love them!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Great looks like a trip to Schucks is in order when I get back to WA!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am little too and have no problem backing up. I never felt comfortable backing up my large Envoy Denali (don't have to worry about that now because it is my husbands and he hasn't a problem.) So far my sensors have been helping with sides only and I do appreciate them. My Acadia was sandwiched in between our other vehicles and I had to drive my daughter to band practice so I took the Envoy last night. I don't miss that thing a bit as it still feels like manual steering to me. I love my Acadia. The steering is smooth and easy. It feels like my vehicle. I even have developed a bit of a lead foot with it. Perhaps I should engage the head up display. I just love my new ride!
Kathy

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I've never found it to be a problem backing up my Acadia. I don't have the back-up sensor feature on my Acadia either. I actually don't think the rear visibility is an issue. The mirrors seem sufficient enough for me and if that doesn't work, I just turn and look behind me. I'm 5'7. Maybe shorter people may have issue with it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, I'm 5'4" on a good day ;D and I didn't notice any problems on my extended test drives of either
the Acadia or the Enclave. I've gotten the impression that the visibility issue is more a function of
what you are used to driving, rather than the driver's height.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i'm 5'7'' and just purchased an acadia, i previously had an envoy xl. the mirrors on the acadia are much smaller and do take some time getting use to. while i had no problems backing up in the envoy i find that i do have problems seeing in the acadia. i think the backup camera that is found on the enclave would be a great asset. i understand it will be offered on the 2008 model, hopefully i will be able to add it as an after market option :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dan-M said:
I use these "Spider Eye's"

They're meant for the upper inside corner of the side mirror, but give better vis on the lower outside. They let me see the entire lane next to the one I am traveling in, as well as increasing the vision near the side of the bumper.
I just ordered these online. Unfortunately, Advanced Auto shops in Houston didn't carry them, so a $7.99 product winds up costing my $18. :angryfire: But if these help to prevent an accident, it will be money well spent. Just hope the adhesive holds up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts