GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'll probably test driving an Acadia later this week or next, and wanted
to get some opinions on how bad the rear visibility is. Since I currently have
a 06 Torrent, anyone who switched from a Torrent or Nox would be able to give
me a really good idea of the difference.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Depends if you mean can I see behind mewhile I'm driving, or see to back up.

Driving...yes. Backing up....nien, nada, niet, no.

Be carefull backing up. I have a scratch to prove it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks for the input. Looking more and more like I won't be picking one up until
at least after the 2008's come out anyways, so hopefully there will be a backup camera
available by then.

·
Registered
159 Posts
there will be a backup camera on the 2008's and on the Enclaves :thumb:

·
Registered
183 Posts
linuxtwit said:
Looks like I'll probably test driving an Acadia later this week or next, and wanted
to get some opinions on how bad the rear visibility is. Since I currently have
a 06 Torrent, anyone who switched from a Torrent or Nox would be able to give
me a really good idea of the difference.
I haven't driven either one of those, but I do think that the visibility out the back of the Acadia is not one of its better traits.

·
Registered
492 Posts
kjf said:
The ultrasonic backup assist is worth its weight in gold on this vehicle.

Kelly
I'm not comfortable with the backup assist yet. My ford would beep and increase the beeping the closer you got until you get a solid tone. You were there.

The acadia gives you one beep, 2nd beep, & 3rd beep. Then get out & see how close you are.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Definitely in need of a rear view camera. It is available after market but I'm reluctant to do that for fear of what it might do to the rest of the system if you try and link everything together and the problems one might face with the warranty on the Acadia.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Racefla said:
I'm not comfortable with the backup assist yet. My ford would beep and increase the beeping the closer you got until you get a solid tone. You were there.

The acadia gives you one beep, 2nd beep, & 3rd beep. Then get out & see how close you are.
Can you expand on this a bit? We currently have an Expedition so I fully understand how the Ford system behaves. I just naively assumed that the GM would be the same. Are you saying that the GM system does not warn you as you are getting closer and closer to whatever object may be in your way?

Additionally, does anyone know if the rearview camera will be dependent on getting the NAV system? I would like the camera but don't feel the need for NAV.

Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
zman said:
Racefla said:

Can you expand on this a bit? We currently have an Expedition so I fully understand how the Ford system behaves. I just naively assumed that the GM would be the same. Are you saying that the GM system does not warn you as you are getting closer and closer to whatever object may be in your way?

Additionally, does anyone know if the rearview camera will be dependent on getting the NAV system? I would like the camera but don't feel the need for NAV.

Thanks.

You will most likely need the NAV in order to get the rearview camera (when they finally offer it). We just went through this with the wife's Yukon.

·
Registered
492 Posts
zman said:
Racefla said:

Thanks.
From the manual:
How the System Works when Backing:
If the shift lever is in REVERSE (R), URPA
detects objects close to the rear bumper. The
first time an object is detected a single beep will
sound. If an object is detected at a REVERSE (R)
speed between 0 mph (0 km/h) and 5 mph
(8 km/h), the following describes what will occur
based on your distance to a detected object
located behind the vehicle:
• At distances between 40 inches (1 m) and 8 ft
(2.5 m), a single amber light will come on.
• At distances between 23 inches (0.6 m) and
40 inches (1 m), both amber lights will be on.
• At distances between 12 inches (0.3 m) and
23 inches (0.6 m), all three lights (amber/
amber/red) will be on.
• At distances less than 12 inches (0.3 m), a
beeping sound will repeat for a short time and
all three lights (amber/amber/red) will flash.

I just haven't gotten used to this yet after the Ford system.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I assume these lights are on the dash somewhere? If so, why would I want to look at the dash when I am backing up? It seems to me that the audible Ford system would be better.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I dont have an acadia but i have sat in one and i think the lights are on the ceiling so that you can see them when you are looking through the rearview mirror..

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.

That's good. I still think I'd personally prefer an audible system where the frequency of the number of beeps increases the closer you get to the object, but I think I could adapt.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had a mountaineer with Parking Assist....I think the Ford system is better (did I say that??? :eek: ) but it's also one that I had to get used to. I think it's like most things, you need to get accustomed to it.

and I agree, a rearview camera is the best solution.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I have no experience with those products, other than having looked at them before. My concern has been losing the functionality of the existing rear-view mirror.

Kelly

1 - 20 of 29 Posts