GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked for the answer to this question but have had no luck.

I notice that there is a very small area at the top of the mirror that looks as though it is a small window. It does not reflect anything, and I was wondering if this may be a camera? I know my old analog system did not have this. Anyone know what it is?

Thanks in advance, Dan

·
Registered
218 Posts
This is the light sensor to auto dim the rear view mirror for you.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boltbacker said:
Are you sure? I just want to make sure they can't see me at Onstar. ::)

Also my old one dimmed but did not have this. Is it new to the digital system?

·
Registered
218 Posts
LOL it doesn't have anything to do with OnStar, but If your talking about the oval circle in the top middle part of the rear view mirror, it's the light sensor. Doing things you don't want OnStar to know about? LOL

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a compulsive masticater. 8)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Boltbacker said:
. Doing things you don't want OnStar to know about? LOL
no it really is onstars new service called spouce alert and it alerts the spouce that you are cheating on them. IE. watches you kiss them. ;D :p

·
Registered
259 Posts
Dan-M said:
Boltbacker said:
Are you sure? I just want to make sure they can't see me at Onstar. ::)

Also my old one dimmed but did not have this. Is it new to the digital system?
:rofl: Dare I ask you what you're doing in your car that you don't want Onstar to see??? ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
rollin thunder said:
Boltbacker said:
. Doing things you don't want OnStar to know about? LOL
no it really is onstars new service called spouce alert and it alerts the spouce that you are cheating on them. IE. watches you kiss them. ;D :p
And the new service is sponsored by that cheesy show called "Cheaters"!

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
LOL! All kidding aside, I did read that the FBI can activate OnStar mics to eavesdrop on drivers assuming they have a warrant. (source: http://www.newstarget.com/021240.html):

Here's a quote...
This is not the first time the FBI has commandeered built-in microphones as listening devices. In a 2003 lawsuit, it was discovered that the FBI was able to activate the microphones of automotive systems such as OnStar and listen to passenger conversations without the speakers knowing. The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the practice was not legal, but only because the technique prevents the system from being used in an emergency.

Still doesn't sound like it's been shot down completely. SO nobody can see you, but they may be listening. Moral - don't commit crimes if you drive a GM! hehe

·
Registered
218 Posts
I can tell you that OnStar doesn't promote or condone this type of behavior. We are very sensitive to people's privacy. This is something that the FBI is doing without regard to the cell carriers, but I guess a Warrant takes care of this. If you are doinging that are involving the FBI you probably aren't doing things that are the most favorable.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It's a little tiny camera for the new TV show, "drive". :beer:

·
Registered
24 Posts
speaking of mirrors

hey do you guys know if the passenger side outside mirror dims automatically?? I know the driver one does but it doesn't say the passenger one does....i wish that all car manufacturers would make both sides auto dim.....i think that the germans dim both sides?

It is so annoying on a long highway drive and you got that car that keeps following you and then you get that glare in the side mirrors for the next 100 miles.....then you speed up and get away from them only to have another car behind you doing the same thing....sigh :banghead:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts