GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Acadia and want to replace the rear u-joint, but don’t want to replace the whole driveshaft. Has anyone found a u-joint that will work?

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Are you aware the AWD Acadia has a torque tube (part 1) instead of a driveshaft? There aren't any replaceable U-joints in it. The torque tube is connected to the differential (part 7) with a viscous coupler (part 5). Diagram courtesy of GMPartsDirect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. I’m aware of the torque tube. There’s a conventional U joint in the end of drive shaft (prop shaft) that attaches to the torque tube.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry. That’s the best pic I can get without removing the prop shaft. At the bottom of the pic, the aluminum is the torque tube. The rusty flange and U joint, is the rear end of the prop shaft.

The U joint in the prop shaft isn’t considered “a replacement part.“ (they want to sell the entire prop shaft assembly). I don’t think there’s anything special about the U joint; it’s just a matter of figuring out the right size.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Sorry. That’s the best pic I can get without removing the prop shaft. At the bottom of the pic, the aluminum is the torque tube. The rusty flange and U joint, is the rear end of the prop shaft.

The U joint in the prop shaft isn’t considered “a replacement part.“ (they want to sell the entire prop shaft assembly). I don’t think there’s anything special about the U joint; it’s just a matter of figuring out the right size.
Judging from your pic, the prop shaft is in just as bad a shape as the u-joint. I would replace the entire assembly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
divotdug
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing