GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per my owners manual:

"The Rear Seat Audio (RSA)] allows rear seat passengers to listen to and control any of the music sources: radio, CDs, DVDs, or other auxilary sources. However, the rear seat passengers can only control the music sources the front seat passengers are not listening to (except on some radios where dual control is allowed). For example, a rear seat passenger can listen to and control a CD through the headphones, while the driver listens to the radio through the front speakers."

Apparently my car has this "feature" allowing rear passengers (aka my kids) to take control of the radio band I'm listening to. Anyone know how - or if this can be disabled?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have not found a way to disable it, however, my experience shows that the rear passengers cannot control your band if they switch the rear control to another band/input, or shut their power off. I also know that when they turn their power on, they can receive with their headsets and the rear speakers are disabled and only the front speakers play.

So we can listen to the FM radio while the kids listen to XM on their headsets. If the kids switch to FM, then they will hear what we are listening to, and if they then change the FM channel, we all will hear the change.

So the only thing that has worked for me, is to tell the kids in the rear not to switch to the band we are using.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was in my Acadia this past weekend playing around with the rear audio controls. I found it to be quite flexible. The rear seat using the headphones can listen to the DVD, or any audio source (AM, FM, XM, AUX) independently of the front passengers, haven't tried a CD but imagine it would work similarly. I was not able to control the front audio at all through the rear seat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not found a way to disable it, however, my experience shows that the rear passengers cannot control your band if they switch the rear control to another band/input, or shut their power off. I also know that when they turn their power on, they can receive with their headsets and the rear speakers are disabled and only the front speakers play.

So we can listen to the FM radio while the kids listen to XM on their headsets. If the kids switch to FM, then they will hear what we are listening to, and if they then change the FM channel, we all will hear the change.

So the only thing that has worked for me, is to tell the kids in the rear not to switch to the band we are using.
Yours sounds like it functions the same way mine does - my solution has been pretty much what your doing - ie to tell the kids not to change to the band we are listening to. Invariably though, they inadvertently change my station (they have there headphones on and aren't really paying attention to whats coming through the speakers).

Thing of it is, I rented an Acadia back in the early summer - where the rear seat passengers could not override the main radio. They were free to channel surf as much as they wanted on the bands we were not listening to - but could not change the station if they switched to our input band. I liked that setup much better ...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
sbutner said:
Yours sounds like it functions the same way mine does - my solution has been pretty much what your doing - ie to tell the kids not to change to the band we are listening to. Invariably though, they inadvertently change my station (they have there headphones on and aren't really paying attention to whats coming through the speakers).

Thing of it is, I rented an Acadia back in the early summer - where the rear seat passengers could not override the main radio. They were free to channel surf as much as they wanted on the bands we were not listening to - but could not change the station if they switched to our input band. I liked that setup much better ...
I would like that better too, but it sounds like it functions a bit different from model to model. The thing I found out after the fact was that although the base SLT comes with a 6 disc CD changer, when I upgraded to DVD, I ended up with only a 1 disc CD. I would have still done it had I known ahead of time, but for sure, each system is a bit different in the way it functions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts