GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear passenger window will go down nicely with the switch in that door in our '09. It will also go down, and up, with the driver switch. However, it will NOT go up with the local switch on the rear passenger door. Doesn't sound like it's fuse related. Could it be the switch itself? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Gunn said:
The rear passenger window will go down nicely with the switch in that door in our '09. It will also go down, and up, with the driver switch. However, it will NOT go up with the local switch on the rear passenger door. Doesn't sound like it's fuse related. Could it be the switch itself? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,
Hello,

Sorry to hear of the rear passenger window issue in your Acadia. This is very concerning and we're here to assist. Feel free to send us your VIN in a private message and we'll research any potential recalls tied to this. We can also help schedule an appointment for a service visit for you if you haven't already done so.

Kind regards,

William R. (assisting Jessica)
GMC Customer Care

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I didn't get anywhere with online customer service; no recalls to repair it. I'm also now seeing a problem with the front passenger side window not going up consistently with the driver side switch. Which makes us nervous as it seems like it won't go back up. Trying several times will get it to work.

To begin troubleshooting...does anyone know how to remove the rear passenger door inner panel? For this window, it seems this switch is the problem as the driver switch for this window does work consistently.

Tom

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Hello Gunn,

I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing this issue! In your last correspondence with customer service, I see that an agent offered to schedule an appointment for you at your dealership. Were you able to have the vehicle diagnosed? If not, we would be happy to schedule an appointment! Thank you!

Jessica
GMC Customer Care

Gunn said:
Ok, I didn't get anywhere with online customer service; no recalls to repair it. I'm also now seeing a problem with the front passenger side window not going up consistently with the driver side switch. Which makes us nervous as it seems like it won't go back up. Trying several times will get it to work.

To begin troubleshooting...does anyone know how to remove the rear passenger door inner panel? For this window, it seems this switch is the problem as the driver switch for this window does work consistently.

Tom

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GMC Customer Service said:
Hello Gunn,

I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing this issue! In your last correspondence with customer service, I see that an agent offered to schedule an appointment for you at your dealership. Were you able to have the vehicle diagnosed? If not, we would be happy to schedule an appointment! Thank you!

Jessica
GMC Customer Care
I'm not really one to go to the dealer to fix my car issues. I know just to simply diagnose this issue will cost me some serious $$$$. So I usually do it myself. I'm looking for guidance on doing just that. If you can point me to a GMC service manual that I could purchase for this car, that'd be great too.

Tom

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Hi Tom!

I understand. I do apologize that we do not have service manual information available to us.

Jessica
GMC Customer Care

Gunn said:
I'm not really one to go to the dealer to fix my car issues. I know just to simply diagnose this issue will cost me some serious $$$$. So I usually do it myself. I'm looking for guidance on doing just that. If you can point me to a GMC service manual that I could purchase for this car, that'd be great too.

Tom

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: Re: Rear Passenger window won't go up with switch

Probably a dumb question, but I'll put it out there....is the "window lock" on the drivers door controls off?

·
Registered
250 Posts
i have this problem also, albeit intermittent and a bit different. sometimes the rear windows would not go up from the driver control buttons, but if i pushed the 'down' button for a bit then pull it up right away, the windows will go up. the local controls always works. i'd like to know if there are more people here experiencing this problem and what is the fix. my acadia is 2008 (81k km). ty.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Hi preytor!

Our Canadian Customer Service department would be happy to assist in a resolution. The phone number is 800-263-3777, and the hours of operation are M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm and Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST. They will be able to locate a dealership in your area and schedule an appointment for you!

Jessica
GMC Customer Care

preytor said:
i have this problem also, albeit intermittent and a bit different. sometimes the rear windows would not go up from the driver control buttons, but if i pushed the 'down' button for a bit then pull it up right away, the windows will go up. the local controls always works. i'd like to know if there are more people here experiencing this problem and what is the fix. my acadia is 2008 (81k km). ty.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Gunn said:

Tom
This free download which has been posted on the Enclave board may help you. It is the factory service manual for Enclaves, which are very similar to the other lambda (Traverse, Outlook, Acadia) models. I've posted the same information on the other boards and everyone who has downloaded it has said it is fantastic. I was not the one who originally posted it but am just passing along the information.

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=11900.0

The factory service manuals in paperback are available from Helm for $200.00 if you prefer those. Once in a great while they come available on eBay, but not too often.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=helm&Mfg=GMC&Make=GMC&Model=ACAD&Year=2009&Category=1&Keyword=&Module=&selected_media=

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the link to that service manual, that is exactly what I was looking for. It's going to take awhile to download, but...well worth it.

I would love to hear from others with the similar issue...and what it took to fix it. It could be as simple as the switch, but it sounds like it's more complex like a computer screwing up or something. Overall, not impressed with this car. See my other recent post on the stereo buttons backlighting not working, and, well...not something you expect from a 2009 vehicle.

Tom

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks Jessica, next month is my regular maintenance schedule and I will inform the service advisor about this problem and will report back here the finding(s).

Hi preytor!

Our Canadian Customer Service department would be happy to assist in a resolution. The phone number is 800-263-3777, and the hours of operation are M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm and Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST. They will be able to locate a dealership in your area and schedule an appointment for you!

Jessica
GMC Customer Care

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
preytor said:
Thanks Jessica, next month is my regular maintenance schedule and I will inform the service advisor about this problem and will report back here the finding(s).
Hi preytor,

Thanks for reaching back out to Jessica and letting her know that next month is your regular maintenance schedule. Please do report back here so you can share with everyone your findings and let us know how everything went.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting Jessica)
GMC Customer Care

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi preytor,

Thanks for reaching back out to Jessica and letting her know that next month is your regular maintenance schedule. Please do report back here so you can share with everyone your findings and let us know how everything went.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting Jessica)
GMC Customer Care
you are most welcome :)

i have additional info regarding my problem. if the engine is running, i can close the rear passenger windows from the driver controls. but if the engine is not running, the windows won't go up. gunn, is this same case with you?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
preytor said:
you are most welcome :)

i have additional info regarding my problem. if the engine is running, i can close the rear passenger windows from the driver controls. but if the engine is not running, the windows won't go up. gunn, is this same case with you?
No, mine seems to be a problem regardless f the engine running or not.

And I have new and related info. Now, the front passenger window will sometimes get stuck in the down position...the driver control up button will not work. Toggling it back and forth will eventually it to go up, thankfully. But I'm afraid of the day when that won't work and rain is on the way.

So these issues make me think it is not a simple switch problem, but a computer problem. I guess I may just have tk take it in but I'm worried about the cost...

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Gunn said:
No, mine seems to be a problem regardless f the engine running or not.

And I have new and related info. Now, the front passenger window will sometimes get stuck in the down position...the driver control up button will not work. Toggling it back and forth will eventually it to go up, thankfully. But I'm afraid of the day when that won't work and rain is on the way.

So these issues make me think it is not a simple switch problem, but a computer problem. I guess I may just have tk take it in but I'm worried about the cost...
Computer issue, connector issue, or grounding issue... perhaps the switches are getting worn, but not likely. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a similar issue with my '08 Saturn Outlook XE. I bought it a month ago, and it was raining the day we purchased the car, so we didn't try the windows. The next day I found that the passenger side would roll down and up with the passenger controls, but the driver controls would only roll it down and not up. We tinkered with it for a couple days, and then just took it back to the dealer. They found that it was a problem in the controls themselves, so they switched out the driver control panel/module. They did it under warranty because I had just bought the car, otherwise they said the part was around $80, IIRC. Passenger controls is probably cheaper because there are fewer buttons. We haven't had a problem since. Hopefully this helps.

Edit: Looks like the rear passenger controls are only $22. Much better than the front.
www . tonkinonlineparts.com/p/GMC_2009_Acadia/SWITCH-Door-and-End-Gate-Electrical-Door-Window/6279193/25877777.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gunn said:
The rear passenger window will go down nicely with the switch in that door in our '09. It will also go down, and up, with the driver switch. However, it will NOT go up with the local switch on the rear passenger door.
Gunn said:
Now, the front passenger window will sometimes get stuck in the down position...the driver control up button will not work.
More trouble! Now, the front passenger window cannot be controlled from the driver control panel at all. AND, sometimes the driver front window will refuse to go up. Count 'em...that's 4 consistent issues.

But now I've finally done my due diligence and researched the problem more online. It looks like the actual control button is failing. I've found some posts from those that have replaced them and they have found broken bits of plastic under the switches. I'm guessing mine are simply failing slowly...the symptoms seem to support that.

The switches themselves are relatively inexpensive (<$30.00 for a single switch, $<60.00 for the driver switch panel). So I'm going to first purchase and replace the rear passenger window (won't go up from there, only down), and see if that fixes it. If so, I'll then replace the main driver switch panel.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gunn said:

Thanks,
Another followup. I fixed the rear passenger power window! It was indeed the switch. Now that I know its the hardware switch, I am going to replace the driver side master power window control panel, which should fix the front passenger window issue.

I watched this video from 1AAuto to help in removing the rear door panel assembly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XArwAO4m5n0 . The Acadia came off the very same way, easy and straightforward. Except there was no clip holding my wiring plug in place. I had it off in just a few minutes. The old switch came out by gently prying 4 plastic tabs away from the switch. It popped right out.

I purchased the new rear power window switch from http://www.gmpartsdirect.com (part #22895545). Had it delivered in the same week. $28.02 with shipping.

Had it all back together within a half hour and the window goes up and down beautifully...imagine that!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts