GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear overhead factory dvd player lcd screen goes dark only sometimes when restarting vehicle. The sound still is working thru regular speakers or headphones. The only way I have found to restart it is to eject the dvd and reinstall. I thought this was with my home burnt cd's only but it happened with a store bought dvd too. I have seen postings on a blank screen but nothing that seems close to my problem. I had a similar problem in a QX56 but soon realized there was a button to reactivate a screen that had gone into power save mode. Is there a similar button or something like it in the Acadia system? I don't have NAV. Any ideas?

Bobby

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have the DVD without NAV and we have never seen this. It almost sounds like you need to have the software re-flashed or something is wrong.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
We also have DVD w/o nav; my problem with this set up is when the screen is down it's a little difficult to see out behind the vehicle through the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I've heard that from others. I found that the rear view mirror has two adjustment points. One is close to the window and one is close to the mirror. I found by pulling the mirror down as far as it could go, I was able to get almost 100% of the vision out the back. It may also have to do with my seating position.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I think part of my problem is seat postion as well. My driver seats rocks under heavy braking or acceleration; so I am taking her in in about 30 minutes for repair (they are replacing the seat mount bolts). With that said; I am weary of moving the seat to the desired postion to have a better view behind me. After repairs are done (passenger lumbar handle replacement and optional TCM flash) I will move the seat and see if that helps

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have seen this issue with the screen with no picture. It happens most when it's cold. Only happened a couple of times. It happens with ours no matter the position of the screen too. I haven't been to the dealer to ask about this yet. I'll let you know if I get an answer.

·
Registered
427 Posts
biggs4040 said:
I have seen this issue with the screen with no picture. It happens most when it's cold. Only happened a couple of times. I haven't been to the dealer to ask about this yet. I'll let you know if I get an answer.
Had the same thing. Best solution I found was to make sure you flip the screen back up after use. Hasn't reoccurred since.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
biggs4040 said:
I have seen this issue with the screen with no picture. It happens most when it's cold. Only happened a couple of times. It happens with ours no matter the position of the screen too. I haven't been to the dealer to ask about this yet. I'll let you know if I get an answer.
Thanks for the feedback. I just have 500 miles on the Acadia and it has happened about 10 times. We are always going somewhere so I really don't have time to play with it. Plus the two kids yelling "It isn't on!"" doesn't help. It could be a software glitch or i'm missing something. If I come up with anything I will post it.

Bobby

·
Registered
156 Posts
Bobby,
Mine does the same thing, if anyone finds a solution, please post it!

·
Registered
234 Posts
My DVD (no nav) has just started losing the picture more often after re-start as well. I am getting ready to add to my checklist when I go to the dealership. I suspect it may be related to the cold being it just start occurring more often as the temperature have dropped and stayed cold in our parts.

It does work upone pulling out the DVD and re-loading but a pain being you have to go through the hassle of getting back to the chapter/scene my little ones were watching.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just started having the DVD no sound out of the center channel issue and blank screen issue. This only started after the dealership replaced the orginal Nav/DVD head unit because it would not eject the DVD disc. I took my Acadia to the dealership yesterday, they pulled up an internal bulletin on the center channel issue, it said the fix was run an update to the latest sw/firmware. Any bets on if this fixed it???

It did NOT so now back to square 1. At this time GMC is telling the dealership it's not a hw issue with the head unit but a possible issue between it and the rear entertainment center since the work-around is to press the on-button on the rear entertainment center but after doing that the voices only play through the front speakers only and the kids complain they can't hear it regardless. GMC has NO idea what is causing this and it's a joke for them to not have a fix by now since I see that people have had this issue for quite some time.

I'll be sure to post more as I continue to speak with the dealership.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jerlim said:
I just started having the DVD no sound out of the center channel issue and blank screen issue. This only started after the dealership replaced the orginal Nav/DVD head unit because it would not eject the DVD disc. I took my Acadia to the dealership yesterday, they pulled up an internal bulletin on the center channel issue, it said the fix was run an update to the latest sw/firmware. Any bets on if this fixed it???

It did NOT so now back to square 1. At this time GMC is telling the dealership it's not a hw issue with the head unit but a possible issue between it and the rear entertainment center since the work-around is to press the on-button on the rear entertainment center but after doing that the voices only play through the front speakers only and the kids complain they can't hear it regardless. GMC has NO idea what is causing this and it's a joke for them to not have a fix by now since I see that people have had this issue for quite some time.

I'll be sure to post more as I continue to speak with the dealership.
The radio they replaced it with is probably a repaired unit and may have been exchanged for the same defect but when tested it checked ok. Since everything started after the radio repair I would go down that path. Since I posted about the blank screen it hasn't happened again. Why I don't know. The kid use the headphones so I don't know if the center channel is cutting out. I have to wait and see. Good luck. Keep us informed.

Bobby

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DeForger said:
biggs4040 said:
Thanks for the feedback. I just have 500 miles on the Acadia and it has happened about 10 times. We are always going somewhere so I really don't have time to play with it. Plus the two kids yelling "It isn't on!"" doesn't help. It could be a software glitch or i'm missing something. If I come up with anything I will post it.

Bobby
I am at the 1300 mile mark on my Acadia. I have found that the blank dvd screen is only happening with certain dvds. It doesn't matter if it's a copy or store bought dvd. When this occurs if have found the following way to clear it other then removing and reinstalling the dvd. First you hold the power button down until the lock appears on the radio display. Then release the button. Then tap the power button once quickly and it should remove the lock symbol and the dvd screen should start to work where it stopped before. This has work so far for me. I still feel it's some type of firmware problem but this is the only solution I have found so far. Try it with yours and see if it works.

Bobby

·
Registered
156 Posts
DeForger said:
First you hold the power button down until the lock appears on the radio display. Then release the button. Then tap the power button once quickly and it should remove the lock symbol and the dvd screen should start to work where it stopped before.
Bobby
I didn't know holding down the power button would show a lock. What is this function used for normally? But thanks for the tip

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
s2acadia said:
DeForger said:
First you hold the power button down until the lock appears on the radio display. Then release the button. Then tap the power button once quickly and it should remove the lock symbol and the dvd screen should start to work where it stopped before.
Bobby
I didn't know holding down the power button would show a lock. What is this function used for normally? But thanks for the tip
According to the 2009 owners manual (page 3-76) the lock is for the parental control feature. It prevents the rear seat occupants from using the rear seat audio or remote control. This is for vehicles with the rear seat entertainment system.

Bobby

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've had my Acadia for over a year now and I have the same problem. Instead of removing the DVD to get the screen to come back on, just use the supplied controller's power button and that will turn the screen back on. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Swarren7 said:
I've had my Acadia for over a year now and I have the same problem. Instead of removing the DVD to get the screen to come back on, just use the supplied controller's power button and that will turn the screen back on. Hope this helps.
I thought I had tried the remote control power button before but I can't remember for sure. ??? I will try it next time it goes blank. Thanks.

Bobby

1 - 17 of 17 Posts