GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Purchased paint; 3 day weekend, and not really much planned, this is happening. Will post before and after.
Sometimes it's the little things.
Good to hear !
Love to hear what masking you plan on doing. Maybe pics of the prep work too?
That can be a large amount of time there to prevent over spray. Even underneath the Acadia. . I'd be too OCD to see black over spray on things I didn't want painted.

I'll have to get some paint. The can I have won't do.

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
661 Posts
Please let me know how it goes. I am toying with buying the facia or painting it. I am super interested to see details. Thanks for giving us some much needed insight.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited by Moderator)
Please let me know how it goes. I am toying with buying the facia or painting it. I am super interested to see details. Thanks for giving us some much needed insight.
I did replace my rear lower fascia with a GMC unit in another post, way cheaper than I expected, and only took a short time to exchange.
Today was muffler painting day.
Gettin' ready. Hose and soap/brush to wash mufflers, paint, masking paper and tape, etc., and some water (90F at 4:45 when I started today).

Masked and painted:

Great results IMO:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,428 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Ok, I thought you had done that so I was confused but wow the mufflers look great painted like that. Night and day difference.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Here is the other thread about painting or installing a different black lower fascia - -

Black Out +2017 Rear Bumper "Silver-gray&quot...
Thanks brother, getting old really sucks sometimes!!! I think I am going to order the lower rear one for the front and the back. I blacked out both the front and rear emblems and love the look. Thinking about doing the “ACADIA” & “SLT” in black as well. The black against the silver looks really nice. I‘ll post some pics when I am done.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I did replace my rear lower fascia with a GMC unit in another post, way cheaper than I expected, and only took a short time to exchange.
Gettin' ready. Hose and soap/brush to wash mufflers, paint, masking paper and tape, etc., and some water (90F at 4:45 when I started today).
Great results IMO:
Thanks for taking the time to take pictures. I think I have some brown paper like that in storage.

Job complete. That looks "like it should". Now there is no bright shiny blobs to draw attention to them.

Looks great with the black lower fascia.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Ok, I thought you had done that so I was confused but wow the mufflers look great painted like that. Night and day difference.
No . i just planted the "seed" a few posts ( Post # 16 ) earlier with some photo touched pics.
It got Grantv all motivated because we both talked about this months ago.

His turned out really great. . !

·
Registered
661 Posts
No . i just planted the "seed" a few posts ( Post # 16 ) earlier with some photo touched pics.

Yeah I love the look. I think I may have to do this myself. I think GM missed the mark on a few subtle details on this truck that would have made all the difference like this. No natter, we all keep finding ways to make our look unique.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks brother, getting old really sucks sometimes!!! I think I am going to order the lower rear one for the front and the back. I blacked out both the front and rear emblems and love the look. Thinking about doing the “ACADIA” & “SLT” in black as well. The black against the silver looks really nice. I‘ll post some pics when I am done.
Blacked emblems there would look good also, do post.
I also blacked the front and rear reds, much better.
I've actually considered removing some emblems. I don't mind the tailgate ones, but the SLE up so high is out of place IMO. Just a clumsy placement.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Blacked emblems there would look good also, do post.
I also blacked the front and rear reds, much better.
I've actually considered removing some emblems. I don't mind the tailgate ones, but the SLE up so high is out of place IMO. Just a clumsy placement.
Im going to try and get those done this weekend. Will get the pics up as soon as I am done. The C pillar badges are a little out of place, almost like am after thought. I honestly think they might look better on the rear somewhere, Not sure but something to play around with.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for taking the time to take pictures. I think I have some brown paper like that in storage.

Job complete. That looks "like it should". Now there is no bright shiny blobs to draw attention to them.

Looks great with the black lower fascia.
Thanks JayTee2019, those GM blobs are massive and ugly. One of the pics I took, I noticed that you couldn't see the black mufflers, so had to take more. Wait! That's a good thing! :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

It put a fire under my butt for sure!

Reactions: Jmbjr0930

·
Registered
661 Posts
View attachment 10065
Masked and painted:
View attachment 10066
Great results IMO:
View attachment 10068
I was riding behind my wife today and finally got a good look at the rear from a distance and wow it looks horrible. Especially sitting down lower in her car and you can see the mufflers, the heat shields and all the other clumsily run exhaust piping. I need to get on this painting sooner rather than later. Does the face lift look this bad or did they finally pay attention to detail and square it away.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
The exhaust pipes should definitely get sprayed as well. I did not... yet.
Sorry, re the face lift note; IOW you're asking did GMC fix this in the 2020 model year?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yes, basically asking if they fixed it. I am going to attempt to start the blacking out process this weekend myself. Hopefully it will be as easy as you made it look!!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I looked up some pics of a 20/21 model, same thing from what I can see.
As for how I painted mine...
Drive up rear on ramps
Wash down anywhere to be painted with lightly soapy water, used a brush and rag, hosed off
Used old towels to dry off all nooks and cranny's
While letting that air dry to completion (unlikely anything, but masking after is obviously better anyway), I masked. It was 95F, so everything dried quick and easy, except me
Spray bomb time
Let dry for a bit, check for missing areas, spray as needed
Remove masking, drive off ramps
Edit; IIRC around one hour total

·
Registered
661 Posts
Thanks, adding that to the list for the weekend!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks, adding that to the list for the weekend!
Me too, the pipes part, if I have time.
Show us some pics too. Assuming you're doing the pipes...

21 - 40 of 54 Posts