GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 2018 SLE-2 with about 32k miles on the clock. It's been mostly problem free for the two years I've had her (I bought it with 50 miles on it) but of late, I have had a few issues. My rear lift gate seal began to leak during heavy rain, and I didn't think much of it as my area is prone to very heavy rain. It also happened during the winter when some ice buildup happened, so I attributed it to ice clogging any drain and the water finding its way in by the path of least resistance. The "Shift to Park" issue also began happening in March, right around when my area shut down due to COVID-19.

I took her into the dealership two weeks ago as it is still under warranty, thankfully. They hooked me up with a loaner 2020 Denali and I fell in love, until I looked at the sticker and saw that it was nearly double what I paid for my Acadia. It was in the shop for one day only and they said that they fixed the water leak issue as well as replaced a wire harness or hanger (I don't recall the exact words) for the shift to park issue.

Fast forward to this week. I noticed while (hand) washing my car yesterday that my center high mounted taillight is no longer flush with the top trim. The dealership determined that the water was leaking through there and allegedly replaced the seals. It sticks out enough that I can fit a credit card or driver's license in there and there is visible gunk around the site too. Today, I was at the hardware store and my car had the shift to park issue occur again.

I don't know what could be causing this, or how I should approach this with the dealership. I have already decided that I will never purchase another vehicle from them again, as they have had some very shady policies and their service department has not been anything to write home about--last time I was in for an oil change with an appointment, it took them over three hours to get it back to me. Factor in their desire to upsell me a new cabin air filter at 7500 miles and recommend a transmission flush at 15k miles, and I know better than that. I'm beyond frustrated with this place and if this issue isn't fixed this time around, I'm ready to contact GMC about it.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
You need to try another dealer. My dealer's service advisor is pretty good about not trying to up sell me on things not yet needed. You have to remember that most service advisors work on some sort of commission plan and additional sales factor into their review. They are just doing their job. Nothing to fret over. Just say no. They are used to it.

The bad news is you will most likely experience the shift to park error again. The replaced wiring harness only corrected the issue for about a month on my '18 before the dealer went ahead and replaced the shifter assembly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey all,

I have a 2018 SLE-2 with about 32k miles on the clock. It's been mostly problem free for the two years I've had her (I bought it with 50 miles on it) but of late, I have had a few issues. My rear lift gate seal began to leak during heavy rain, and I didn't think much of it as my area is prone to very heavy rain. It also happened during the winter when some ice buildup happened, so I attributed it to ice clogging any drain and the water finding its way in by the path of least resistance. The "Shift to Park" issue also began happening in March, right around when my area shut down due to COVID-19.

I took her into the dealership two weeks ago as it is still under warranty, thankfully. They hooked me up with a loaner 2020 Denali and I fell in love, until I looked at the sticker and saw that it was nearly double what I paid for my Acadia. It was in the shop for one day only and they said that they fixed the water leak issue as well as replaced a wire harness or hanger (I don't recall the exact words) for the shift to park issue.

Fast forward to this week. I noticed while (hand) washing my car yesterday that my center high mounted taillight is no longer flush with the top trim. The dealership determined that the water was leaking through there and allegedly replaced the seals. It sticks out enough that I can fit a credit card or driver's license in there and there is visible gunk around the site too. Today, I was at the hardware store and my car had the shift to park issue occur again.

I don't know what could be causing this, or how I should approach this with the dealership. I have already decided that I will never purchase another vehicle from them again, as they have had some very shady policies and their service department has not been anything to write home about--last time I was in for an oil change with an appointment, it took them over three hours to get it back to me. Factor in their desire to upsell me a new cabin air filter at 7500 miles and recommend a transmission flush at 15k miles, and I know better than that. I'm beyond frustrated with this place and if this issue isn't fixed this time around, I'm ready to contact GMC about it.
Greetings! What City, State and name of GMC Dealership attempted to fix your Acadia? Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2017 with both these issues. Dealer completely replaced the third brake light setup to fix leak - still leaks. Also shift to park - I just know when I see it to press the release under the knob (what you have to press to shift out of P) a bunch of times while in P (and error showing) and that clears it. For me I got tired of chasing these issues with the dealer and have resigned to dealing with them. Not ideal for what I think is a nice car, but I also got tired of the whole dealer drop off hassle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why isn’t the Park issue a recall? I have a 2019 Acadia with 10,000 miles on it. I was told the part was back ordered, take the car home and they will call me when it comes in. In the meantime my battery got fried - dead cell. They agreed to replace the shift assembly but not the battery. Well one hour after I picked up the car, I couldn’t get the car started - dead battery. Two toddlers in the car. Very hot day. Why can’t they do a recall. Service dept told me to take it up with GM. Really?
Marci

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Not a safety issue? Really? Toddlers in a hot car that won’t start bc the battery is drained bc the car doesn’t recognize it is in park? In my book that’s a safety issue. But maybe not for a man
Have had the issue twice on my '18. Have yet to have a dead battery. All it takes is a quick snap of the shifter trigger to clear the message and turn off the car.

A safety issue is leaving your toddlers in a hot car....don't do that......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts