GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone opened the rear lift gate in the garage with the garage door open? We rented a minivan with similar rear lift gate once and made the mistake of lifting the gate inside the garage while the garage door was up (in the open position) and the rear lift gate hit the garage door dinging it. I've seen several minivans with that trademark ding in the same area.

Does anyone know if the Acadia lift gate is high enough to hit a standard garage door? ???

·
Registered
185 Posts
it certainly is high enough to hit some garage doors for sure.

The nice thing though is, it will stop and hold at a lower height. Manually of course :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
I opened mine in my garage, and it was close, but it did not hit the open garage door. Guess it all depends on how high your door is.

·
Registered
44 Posts
:poke: Hey...thanks for the reminder..... :banghead:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:thumb: Thanks all! I wasn't sure if it would be a problem since I like to pull into the garage instead of backing in to lessen the amount of exhaust fumes that enter the house. I know I should pull it out of the garage when warming it up, but what's the use of remote start if you're going to get in it and move it anyway? ;)

You're very welcome for the forewarning! I'd hate to see someone make that mistake on their new Acadia!

So...how many of you are tired of hearing people call it an AR-cadia???? :eek:hno:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Mine hit the garage door last night. I am thinking about turning it off as I often pull in the garage before I pull out the groceries. Especially when it rains. It was nice that when it bumped the door it reversed back down though. If you want I can give you the exact height of the rear hatch when open? I'll go measure now, and then post it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Looks like it is around 86 inches from the ground to the highest point, which is the wiper arm. To be exact I would have to have quite the pair of calipers so my estimate is just that, but within an inch.

Dan

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Dan-M, I appreciate you taking the extra time to measure it. I'll have to go measure the garage up to the opened door. I just know that if it's too high eventually I'll end up making the mistake of hitting the door :eek:. I just can't get over the fear of damaging the back door that way!

Now if I could finally make up my mind on the color. SOOOOO indecisive! I am leaning toward Summit White. I really want to see the blue gold though. My husband wants the Carbon, but actually wishes it was true black. One of these days I'll make up my mind!

·
Registered
121 Posts
OK...so at the risk of going off topic...but building on boxermom question of color...Blue Gold is a VERY dynamic color...which means, like a lake, it really takes on the appearance of the sky. If you live in an area that is very cloudy, there are going to be lots of days where your Acadia looks gray. In a bright sunny area, you'll see LOTS of colors and it changes as you walk around the vehicle getting different viewing angles. Choose accordingly!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm planning on swinging by a dealership that has the blue gold in stock tomorrow. I hope it's sunny tomorrow. Around here there are plenty of sunny days and our share of cloudy days too! I'll just have to see if it grabs me like the white one did! :thumb:

·
Registered
683 Posts
boxermom said:
So...how many of you are tired of hearing people call it an AR-cadia???? :eek:hno:
Here's one for you...we were picking up our Acadia at the dealership last Saturday and were using my wife's GM points on her credit card to apply towards the purchase. The salesman had to call in to this automated GM service center to redeem the card earnings and follow the voice prompts. He had it on speaker phone so we could hear what was going on. Well anyway, the girl on the GMC phone service called it an AR-CADIA. My wife looked at me and thought we had been calling it wrong all this time...It's nice to know even the company that makes it doesn't even refer to it correctly... :eek:hno:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha! Now that's funny - even someone from GM calling it the wrong name. My husband has a bad habit of referring to it as the AR-cadia. It annoys the heck out of me. One of the videos on this forum has a man speaking about the Acadia and I'm pretty sure he was saying arcadia all along. The name isn't very catch IMO, but I still can't wait to have one of my own ;D

·
Registered
88 Posts
acadia7j100001 said:
OK...so at the risk of going off topic...but building on boxermom question of color...Blue Gold is a VERY dynamic color...which means, like a lake, it really takes on the appearance of the sky. If you live in an area that is very cloudy, there are going to be lots of days where your Acadia looks gray. In a bright sunny area, you'll see LOTS of colors and it changes as you walk around the vehicle getting different viewing angles. Choose accordingly!
Thanks acadia7j100001! I ordered the blue-gold but am still uncertain if I'll like it. I have yet to actually see a blue-gold on the road. My dealership has a few on the lot but the way they have it positioned it always looks gray. :( I hope you are right and I'll love the color. Six (hopefully) weeks to go! :blob:

Louise

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have already dinged my rear up doing exactly what your worried about. I find if I pull all the way in to the garage that I can open the liftgate without bumping the door....figured that out after the ding. Interestingly the bump took off the top coat, leaving the grey undercoat exposed. The thing that worries me is I noticed that once chipped, the top coat flaked off easy like old nail polish (ok maybe only the girls will understand that analogy), but it was too easy. A minor brush with my circular saws plastic case also left a scratch on the front hood. My other cars were never this delicate when it came to paint. So I'm a little curious about my paint job. Does it take a while, and repeated sun exposure to completely bond the paint, or should I be concerned about thejob done on my Acadia? I've covered the ding with GMC coverup paint and am babying the finish of my new car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LWisni5735 - I was thinking about asking the dealer to drive the acadia around the lot for me, but thought he'd look at me like a moron for asking him to! :-\

dinny - I highly suggest posting your issue as a new topic. Maybe you'll find someone with similar issues who has some suggestions. In this topic it will be hidden and will not be noticed unless someone is reading the posts about the back door. Just a suggestion!

·
Registered
88 Posts
boxermom said:
LWisni5735 - I was thinking about asking the dealer to drive the acadia around the lot for me, but thought he'd look at me like a moron for asking him to! :-\
:rofl: I've thought about doing that too! I can just see him ::)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe I can convince the hubby to go to the dealership with me tomorrow and ask them if he can test drive the blue-gold they have on the lot even though it's an SLE. Then I'll just stay there and watch him drive it. ;D

Indecisive - my middle name!

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
So...how many of you are tired of hearing people call it an AR-cadia?
According to my stats, "GMC Arcadia" is still the #2 search term that people search for when they find this forum ;) I was smart enough to include it in my keywords.

"GMC Acadia Reviews" is #1, btw...

·
Registered
4 Posts
ok, so with the auto/power lift gate, can you stop it from lifting all the way up so it won't hit? We bought a 2010 Acadia yesterday, and pulled it into the garage. I grabbed it last night just before it smacked into the low garage door that we have and it kind of "clunnked" and then stopped and reversed. I tried that one more time and instead of reversing it stopped at stayed at the height that I held it at. No damage to the mechanism - still goes up and down well. Any chance that this is an ok thing to do? How else can you prevent it from going all the way up?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
docuw said:
ok, so with the auto/power lift gate, can you stop it from lifting all the way up so it won't hit? We bought a 2010 Acadia yesterday, and pulled it into the garage. I grabbed it last night just before it smacked into the low garage door that we have and it kind of "clunnked" and then stopped and reversed. I tried that one more time and instead of reversing it stopped at stayed at the height that I held it at. No damage to the mechanism - still goes up and down well. Any chance that this is an ok thing to do? How else can you prevent it from going all the way up?
I would just turn off the power lift tailgate and use it manually; this way you don't run the risk of damaging anything

1 - 20 of 28 Posts