GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up the Acadia a month ago, and nice to see a forum for our trucks.. Unfortunately, I don't have rear heated seats in the Acadia and I was curious to see if anyone has installed heated seats in the second row (I have captain's chairs)? I figure the kit from GM would work with a little modification of the rear doors or rear center console for the buttons. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Sounds plausable to do. I have not seen the kit from GM, but I have seen some generic heaters put in the front seats of other vehicles and it wasn't that hard at all according to the owners. They only needed a power source, the rest was with the kit. Are there any empty fuses (i.e. customer access circuits) in the box?

Can you update your sig with Acadia's options. Maybe there is an empty wire in the harness under the console that you can tap in to.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
bob808 said:
Just picked up the Acadia a month ago, and nice to see a forum for our trucks.. Unfortunately, I don't have rear heated seats in the Acadia and I was curious to see if anyone has installed heated seats in the second row (I have captain's chairs)? I figure the kit from GM would work with a little modification of the rear doors or rear center console for the buttons. Any thoughts?
You would be the first to make that attempt; something that might help is an http://www.alldatadiy.com/ account. You can sign up online or buy it at AutoZone; this might be helpful with schematics for the power requirements for the front heated seats. Keep us informed if you move forward with this project; also we like pics on this forum

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'd suggest using the console as the switch location- too difficult to fish wires in doors. You may already have a harness there that you could use to run your wire alongside- just make sure it is protected with some good nylon split loom and the wire is of sufficient gauge (diameter) and quality (I like to use automotive grade SXL (best) or GXL (better) wire from here on my projects). Don't use the cheap stuff from Autozone, etc. You can also read good info on automotive wiring here. They sell TXL, SXL, and GXL, usually in a 10-20 foot minimum.

The fuse box is a good idea- the trick is to find switched (key on) power there and see what type of draw your heaters need (amps). If there is an unused space, you could use that or add a quality inline fuse. I would avoid using a battery feed since if they were accidentally left on, this could run down the battery.

jsimms has good advice for looking at diagrams. If you want to, you can also buy the factory service manual. There is a link on the Problems-FAQ board as a sticky.

Good luck & keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The kit I was looking at was the one from GM that was made for the front seats. I believe it was $300 or so.. I could then use the buttons in the kit and just mount them somewhere else. Wiring wise, I have not looked into yet but there are some good ideas you all made. This might be a project of mine in the next few months, we'll see.

·
Registered
284 Posts
By coincidence our neighbour with an 08 Acadia had the dealer install second row heated seats prior to the delivery of the vehicle!

He says they work just fine.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
copperbeech said:
By coincidence our neighbour with an 08 Acadia had the dealer install second row heated seats prior to the delivery of the vehicle!

He says they work just fine.
Oh; is your neighbor a member here? They should be :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Do the smart-slide seats present special problems with a project like this?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I think if the wire had enough slack, was safely routed, and was properly encased this should not be a problem. I don't move our second row much, but it seems like the range of travel is about the same as the front seats.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Do you have an estimate on cost?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I think if the wire had enough slack, was safely routed, and was properly encased this should not be a problem. I don't move our second row much, but it seems like the range of travel is about the same as the front seats.
It's the "safely routed" part that I'm having a hard time visualizing.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'd wrap it in some small diameter split loom & secure it with an insulated hold down at the center of travel for the seat. I'd then secure it to the seat frame from the inside. I'm thinking there is wiring to the center console, so I'd piggyback the power feed on that and then run the wires from the switches out & under it. The trick may be getting these wires safely routed to where they would not be stepped on or hit by the seat tracks. He may have to run them through some hard shell material like PVC if this is the best (lesser of two evils) routing method. One other alternative would be to run them under the floor via grommets or a bulkhead connector, but I'm not big on drilling holes in the floor.

This is another situation where it's hard to do an Internet design. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts