GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the rear hatch always being dirty and the rest of the Acadia being clean annoy anybody else? :angryfire:
Even if the roads are clear the rear is always dirty. I know that it is probably due to the four exhaust pipes on the back, but is there any thing that you can do about this? ??? Thanks

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I think this issue is related to the new aerodynamic designs and will be the same on almost all newer vehicles like this one.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's just the shape of SUV's in general with the flat back/rear hatch. The rears of all the SUV's i've owned (Ford Explorer, Jeep Liberty, Honda Pilot and now Acadia) always got dirty a lot quicker then the rest of the vehicle.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes i noticed it from day one, but there is a very large dead air space behind the acadia watch when it is cold the exhaust is visible in the rear window. I wish they would come up with a spoiler to get rid of the dead space and maybe the mileage would get better as well.

·
Registered
339 Posts
garco 57 said:
Yes i noticed it from day one, but there is a very large dead air space behind the acadia watch when it is cold the exhaust is visible in the rear window. I wish they would come up with a spoiler to get rid of the dead space and maybe the mileage would get better as well.
I noticed the same thing the other day. You could see the exhaust circulating out the back window.

·
Registered
71 Posts
MT Acadia said:
Does the rear hatch always being dirty and the rest of the Acadia being clean annoy anybody else? :angryfire:
Even if the roads are clear the rear is always dirty. I know that it is probably due to the four exhaust pipes on the back, but is there any thing that you can do about this? ??? Thanks
Stop driving it...

·
Registered
683 Posts
garco 57 said:
I've been under the impression(think I read it somewhere) that the spoiler on the Acadia is actually the culprit here...

Oh, and as far as the mileage is concerned, the Acadia has the exact same drag coeffecient at the Corvette.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I took off this morning and saw steam and vapor rising from beneath the rear hatch ... glad to see this posting as I had not noticed it before on my Honda Pilot or other suv's. I can see why the hatch gets more dirty from the way the air is curled up behind the car. I will bet snow and salty road grime will really accumulate on the back hatch area.

·
Registered
339 Posts
imgntht said:
Oh, and as far as the mileage is concerned, the Acadia has the exact same drag coeffecient at the Corvette.
Are you sure about that? I thought I'd read an article just recently that said a Corvette has a cD of .31 and the Acadia a .34 or something similar to that. I could be crazy though.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Kloogee and imgntht: This drag stuff was all discussed in a posting titled: 11 minute video walk - through under General Discussions. Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do the folks w rear splash guard have same 'dirty' issue ?

For this reason...I was about to pull the trigger on:
GM PART # 17801949
CATEGORY: Splash Guards

If it does not help, then forget it !

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rufio said:
It's just the shape of SUV's in general with the flat back/rear hatch. The rears of all the SUV's i've owned (Ford Explorer, Jeep Liberty, Honda Pilot and now Acadia) always got dirty a lot quicker then the rest of the vehicle.
Agreed. Similar experiences here with a few Blazers, Envoys and now the Acadia.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the splash guards on the front and the rear, and it does not help.
I will just have to rinse off the back when I get home at night.

Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
Once the aftermarket starts offering more products for the Acadia, an after market rear spoiler will help. I had the same issue on my TrailBlazer and Envoys. A trick that does help a little bit is to put Rain-X on the rear glass as this helps keep some of the dirt/debri from sticking.

But...essentially it's the aerodynamics of driving a brick, air turbulence just takes road grit and moves it to the only area of the vehicle with no wind resistance.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
sloewy60 said:
Once the aftermarket starts offering more products for the Acadia, an after market rear spoiler will help. I had the same issue on my TrailBlazer and Envoys. A trick that does help a little bit is to put Rain-X on the rear glass as this helps keep some of the dirt/debri from sticking.

But...essentially it's the aerodynamics of driving a brick, air turbulence just takes road grit and moves it to the only area of the vehicle with no wind resistance.
I don't think that the description of a "brick" describes the aerodynamics of the Acadia. If you read the thread above, you will see that saying the aerodynamics of a Corvette would be more accurate.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just drove 6 mile home for lunch and 6 miles back in a small snow storm with the streets covered in salt - I did not have to used my windshield wipers once but I had to run my reaar wiper almost every mile. Pretty normal for an SUV vehicle.

·
Registered
683 Posts
sloewy60 said:

I could be wrong about this...but I don't see any aftermarket companies wasting time making rear spoilers for the Acadia, unless they are knock-offs of the factory spoiler. Hey you could always get the Subie WRX STi wing added up top...just watch the clearance in underpasses and bridges! ;D

·
Registered
683 Posts
Kloogee said:
Are you sure about that? I thought I'd read an article just recently that said a Corvette has a cD of .31 and the Acadia a .34 or something similar to that. I could be crazy though.
I think you are right. I found the article that I read, it was US News. However the quote from originally taken from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/2008-GMC-Acadia/Exterior/. In doing some quick yahoo searches on the Vette, it looks like it achieves close to .28-.29 depending on year. The Acadia did show results of .34. Regardless, for a nearly 5,000lb vehicle that is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The spoilers people are talking about aren't like the ones on a WRX, they actually pull air from the top of the vehicle and push it over the rear glass. But the way the spoiler on the back of the Acadia is designed I don't know what they will design to keep the class clean. My parents Suburban had an after market Lund spoiler and it worked great but the Suburban doesn't have the same stock spoiler as the Acadia.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts