GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow what a day :( My wife was taking our oldest son to baseball practice this morning and was rear ended by an older Jeep Cherokee :banghead:. The driver of the Cherokee was talking on his cell (he is 18) and my wife watched as he plowed into the back of her. She was stopped at a stop light at an intersection and just before he struck her my wife let off the brakes and the Acadia rolled slightly. The force of the impact pushed the Acadia into the middle of the intersection. Luckily there was no cross traffic or the outcome could have been a lot worse. The rear bumper took the majority of the impact as well as the rear hatch. I am quite thankful no one was seriously injured. The other driver fully insured :D and the police cited him as he was at fault. We'll take the Acadia to our dealer on Monday to see what needs to happen next. These pics are when I arrived after being woke up from 3 hours of sleep (I almost forgot to get fully dressed in my haste to get to the scene!!) I will keep everyone informed as to what happens. Our Acadia did well and I am thankful everyone was OK
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
First reaction...NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :'(

I am SO SORRY to hear, that just sucks. Makes my recent fender bender nothing compared to that. I'm so glad everyone is ok and that there was no cross traffic. Hope everything goes ok with the insurance and that it's as good as new quick. Keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
Glad to hear no one was hurt. What a mess! I'm sorry about that. Hope they can fix as good as new!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident jsimms. Glad to hear your family is ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,091 Posts
jsimms: You've already had a bad enough day, so I don't want to make it any worse. That your wife and son came out of the rear-ending OK is very good news. So today we can appreciate that. Getting rear-ended is often associated with whiplash injuries. The odd thing is, the injury isn't always noticeable at the time of the accident. Many years ago my wife and I were rear-ended in my 1965 MGB. I thought immediately of being whiplashed, but didn't feel any discomfort and went to bed that night feeling very lucky. The next morning my neck hurt and for 6 months I was taking 2 aspirins every 4 hours to ease the pain and I still have the occasional flareup. So keep track of everyone for the next few days, checking whether anyone has developed any problems that the accident may have caused, just to be safe.

And don't sign any legal quit-claims, either. The other guy's insurance company may want you to declare that nobody suffered any injury. My wife was in her fifth month of pregnancy when we were rear-ended, and her doctor strongly advised her to not sign anything until after the baby's birth and when both my wife and the baby were determined to not have suffered any problems traceable to the accident. Fortunately, they both came out of it all OK.

Here's hoping the damage to your Acadia is the only pain in the neck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,716 Posts
BOBBO said:
jsimms: You've already had a bad enough day, so I don't want to make it any worse. That your wife and son came out of the rear-ending OK is very good news. So today we can appreciate that. Getting rear-ended is often associated with whiplash injuries. The odd thing is, the injury isn't always noticeable at the time of the accident. Many years ago my wife and I were rear-ended in my 1965 MGB. I thought immediately of being whiplashed, but didn't feel any discomfort and went to bed that night feeling very lucky. The next morning my neck hurt and for 6 months I was taking 2 aspirins every 4 hours to ease the pain and I still have the occasional flareup. So keep track of everyone for the next few days, checking whether anyone has developed any problems that the accident may have caused, just to be safe.

And don't sign any legal quit-claims, either. The other guy's insurance company may want you to declare that nobody suffered any injury. My wife was in her fifth month of pregnancy when we were rear-ended, and her doctor strongly advised her to not sign anything until after the baby's birth and when both my wife and the baby were determined to not have suffered any problems traceable to the accident. Fortunately, they both came out of it all OK.

Here's hoping the damage to your Acadia is the only pain in the neck.
That is really good advice BOBBO. :thumb: I was in a accident when I was 16 and have neck pain ever since, now I'm 35!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
jsimms said:
These pics are when I arrived after being woke up from 3 hours of sleep (I almost forgot to get fully dressed in my haste to get to the scene!!)
Glad to here everyone was ok, cell phone usage while driving should invoke an immediate license suspension. What's even scarier is when you see some texting while driving! Come on people get a clue... the phone call or text message can wait till you get to your destination or pullover and take care of your business. Ok, I will get off of my soapbox now. On a lighter note, glad you remembered to get fully dressed; otherwise you may have gotten a citation of your own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
That's so true! My son was counting days until he could talk on his cell phone while driving (in Texas you have to wait 6 months before you are allowed.) We told him that if he wanted to drive, he WOULD NOT be using the cell phone while driving. I personally think texting is over taking drunk driving as the most dangerous. At least you know if you are out late you might expect a drunk driver and you look out for it. Texters can swerve into you at any time. It's almost a joke in our house when we see some one driving poorly, must be on the cell phone. :eek:hno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
6Sixathome said:
BOBBO said:
jsimms: You've already had a bad enough day, so I don't want to make it any worse. That your wife and son came out of the rear-ending OK is very good news. So today we can appreciate that. Getting rear-ended is often associated with whiplash injuries. The odd thing is, the injury isn't always noticeable at the time of the accident. Many years ago my wife and I were rear-ended in my 1965 MGB. I thought immediately of being whiplashed, but didn't feel any discomfort and went to bed that night feeling very lucky. The next morning my neck hurt and for 6 months I was taking 2 aspirins every 4 hours to ease the pain and I still have the occasional flareup. So keep track of everyone for the next few days, checking whether anyone has developed any problems that the accident may have caused, just to be safe.

And don't sign any legal quit-claims, either. The other guy's insurance company may want you to declare that nobody suffered any injury. My wife was in her fifth month of pregnancy when we were rear-ended, and her doctor strongly advised her to not sign anything until after the baby's birth and when both my wife and the baby were determined to not have suffered any problems traceable to the accident. Fortunately, they both came out of it all OK.

Here's hoping the damage to your Acadia is the only pain in the neck.
That is really good advice BOBBO. :thumb: I was in a accident when I was 16 and have neck pain ever since, now I'm 35!

Same here. Was rear ended sitting at a red light when I was 18. The girl was reaching down to get a spilled soda. 35 now as well and still dealing with the pain. Pick up something wrong and thats all it takes to get it going.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate everyone's support, wife and son seem to be doing well. I will update everyone after tomorrow when I see what the dealership says; luckily we have a good dealership that wants to take care of everything. Oh yeah the officer said he was doing around 40 mph when he hit and by his own admission he never hit the brakes! I can just imagine how bad it could have been if someone was in front of my wife.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
jsimms,
I glad to hear everyone is ok. A friend of mine was waiting in line to make a left turn when a 18 wheel failed to stop. His 2008 GMC pickup with was pushed forward into the car in front of him. Air bags deployed and the trailer hitch was almost touching the rear differential because he was hit so hard,but he walked away.
It looks like a hatch,tailight and bumper. The problem is going to be matching that color. I wonder if they will just paint the hatch or try to blend the paint into the 1/4 panels. I thought the chrome trim on the bumper was metal but it looks like it was plastic. I know you purchased it used but it looks like there was body work on the right side of the hatch where the paint came off. This might be the time to get into a 2009. Just a thought.

Bobby
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. While it always makes me sad to see my vehicle or anyone else's mangled up from an accident, I am happy to hear that there was no human "damage" from the accident. Do be weary of Bobbo's advice though. I've been in accidents in the past where the pain didn't show up for at least a month or two (severely bruised ribs and in another instance, whiplash).

Hope all goes well with your Acadia and you get it back into tip top shape in no time. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Sorry to hear about it. Glad to know that everyone was okay!
Hope that your Acadia gets totally fixed without other "unseen" problems due to the impact.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Ditto that all appear to be OK, could certainly have been much worse. FWIW, either the Acadia is really sturdy or it was <20 MPH @ contact IMO- watch a crash test into a fixed object @ 10 MPH sometime to get an idea of what gets crushed. If the Jeep had ABS (older?) there would not be any/as much rubber on the road and this could be misleading to the crash investigator.

Mrs. Blue 1.0 & I were rear-ended in a 1980 RX-7 in S. FL by a similar aged kid in a rental car. I made the mistake of turning my head when I heard the tires sliding & got whiplashed in the neck by the headrest. Felt it big time the following day. My dad got hit by a Culligan water truck the same way & they bought him a new Buick.

I hope the other insurance company treats you fairly. We had a terrible time with the rental company that owned the car that hit us, the woman rep was a wicked witch, and neither of us claimed any injury/filed suit although we could have.

BOBBO said:
...Many years ago my wife and I were rear-ended in my 1965 MGB.
When the fleet was much smaller, I had taken the '65 Corvair to return a video we had rented. I was stopped behind another car & saw headlights behind coming so fast I knew they were not going to be able to stop. I "threaded the needle" around the car in front of us and pulled into a parking lot as the other car ran off the road and slid on the shoulder. The Corvair got it a few years later on the same road when Mr. & Mrs. old couple (lost) pulled out & stopped in both lanes on my side of a divided highway- missed them & hit a stop sign. Had to chase 'em down but did so & got paid for the damage by their insurance company.

It sucks getting hit in a classic car since most companies won't consider the actual value of the car. Fortunately, the Acadia won't have this problem. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kram said:
Sorry to hear about it. Glad to know that everyone was okay!
Hope that your Acadia gets totally fixed without other "unseen" problems due to the impact.
That worries me as well; just talked to our insurance provider (State Farm) and basically we'll drop off the Acadia tomorrow and pay our deductible and then the insurance company will go after the other guy's insurance. This is the quickest way to get it fixed and guarantees that I can have the vehicle fixed by our dealer. Now if I can get the dealer to loan me an 09 and things will be much better :thumb:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Ditto that all appear to be OK, could certainly have been much worse. FWIW, either the Acadia is really sturdy or it was <20 MPH @ contact IMO- watch a crash test into a fixed object @ 10 MPH sometime to get an idea of what gets crushed. If the Jeep had ABS (older?) there would not be any/as much rubber on the road and this could be misleading to the crash investigator.

Mrs. Blue 1.0 & I were rear-ended in a 1980 RX-7 in S. FL by a similar aged kid in a rental car. I made the mistake of turning my head when I heard the tires sliding & got whiplashed in the neck by the headrest. Felt it big time the following day. My dad got hit by a Culligan water truck the same way & they bought him a new Buick.

I hope the other insurance company treats you fairly. We had a terrible time with the rental company that owned the car that hit us, the woman rep was a wicked witch, and neither of us claimed any injury/filed suit although we could have.

BOBBO said:
...Many years ago my wife and I were rear-ended in my 1965 MGB.
When the fleet was much smaller, I had taken the '65 Corvair to return a video we had rented. I was stopped behind another car & saw headlights behind coming so fast I knew they were not going to be able to stop. I "threaded the needle" around the car in front of us and pulled into a parking lot as the other car ran off the road and slid on the shoulder. The Corvair got it a few years later on the same road when Mr. & Mrs. old couple (lost) pulled out & stopped in both lanes on my side of a divided highway- missed them & hit a stop sign. Had to chase 'em down but did so & got paid for the damage by their insurance company.

It sucks getting hit in a classic car since most companies won't consider the actual value of the car. Fortunately, the Acadia won't have this problem. :)
The officer estimated his speed to be between 30-40; he stated he was traveling 15 when he hit, but I'm not sure that is accurate. I don't think there was any tire marks and my wife didn't say anything about screaching tires. So it's possible he slowed down enough to not completely destroy the vehicle, but a witness testified that this guy was in and out of traffic and not paying much attention. This was his second collision since Nov 08 so I'm thinking Arizona may at least suspend his license.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
Wow Jason, sorry to hear about the wreck, but happy to see everyone is OK so far. You hate to see collisions caused by inattentiveness, especially an inexperienced teenager blabbing on a cellphone. I hope it all works out OK.


Oh, and congrats on Freak Status. :cheers: I'm not around here a lot on the weekends.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks; I hope they fix her correctly and don't take any shortcuts; I'm not sure they realize how picky I will be about the repairs
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
Sorry to hear about the incident. Glad the family is okay. Good luck with the repairs, hope it goes well.
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top