GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article about how many children have been injured or killed accidentally by SUVs as parents were backing them up. With the Outlook, Acadia, and Enclave, rear visibility is compromised. The parking sensors help, but when I checked out an Acadia visibility to the back is difficult because of the high sill. A backup camera + sensors is the solution.

Although a backup camera will be offered as an option with the Navigation system, it will be pricey for some on budgets. Plus not all the cars on the dealer's lot (if you plan to pick one vs. ordering it) will have the camera. I was reading an article about the Mazda CX-9, and a backup camera is offered as a dealer-installed option, even without the navigation system. It uses the rear-view mirror inside the vehicle to project the images.

I think GM should offer a similar backup-camera system like this as a dealer-installed option so that buyers can get this safety feature even without the navigation system. It would be a second option to the Navigation system/backup camera factory option. I know I would be willing to pay for it. The Acadia, Enclave, and Outlook are excellent SUVs for families; this option will only further improve their image and GM's commitment towards safety.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree, but at least give us the option to retrofit our 07's that have nav, too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was browsing in Circuit City yesterday and saw a Replacement rearview mirror with camera to mount on the license plate for $199.00 MSRP - you would think they would put it in for $50.00 their cost but they sure don't.

Only reason I am replying to this is because I read the same article yesterday - A doctor with a BMW ran over and killed his own child - very tragic stuff.

Anyway it is available if you have kids !!!

Peace out - I am going to take some pics of my new Charcoal SLT w front moonroof only / side louvers........ :thumb:

·
Registered
681 Posts
The issue with the replacement rear view mirrors with the back up camera is they do not have the Onstar buttons on them, you would lose Onstar (another good safety feature).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Note that in the Mazda CX-9 the rear camera only option is for buyers who didn't get the navigation system/camera, plus it's more affordable for people who are on a tighter budget. It would definitely be a good move for GM since this is a family car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts