GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be nice to see what's behind you when you are in motion -- especially when towing. Coastal eTech has such a product -- the GMX-320 LOCKPICK. It also allows you to watch your DVD's on the Nav display while in motion and unlock the Nav buttons as well.

My Coastal eTech GMX-320 LOCKPICK is on the way. Installation looks pretty easy. The only hitch is if you want the rear camera to be hooked up (to allow viewing your rear camera in Drive). Apparently I need to run a single wire (the "blue wire") all the way to the back of the vehicle on the drivers side. Has anyone done this? If so how did you route the blue wire from the radio to back?

Thanks

GM-320 web page
http://www.coastaletech.com/GMX320.htm

Instructions on hooking up to the Acadia
http://www.coastaletech.com/acadia.htm

Note: In the documentation for the GMX-320, the instructions say the blue wire for the rear camera should be connected to a wire harness under the passenger seat. This is not so for the lambda's. As mentioned in the web site above, the harness is located elsewhere for us..

·
Registered
381 Posts
Clave Man,

Did you ever get your answer? I just bought the lockpick myself.

Update - obviously, I could splice the wire closer to the Nav box vs back at the camera (and use more of the green wire)...

I think this is accurate, or did I miss something in the video...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just contacted my GMC parts dealer.... i found that you can buy a 2008 module for the video camera...Im not sure that you can just put it into a 2007 Acadia and have it work...The P/N is 15806901.. I got the Camera P/n from MMAL... p/n 15806899...that is the stock camera...and the Bracket...15806900... I have to pull the panel off the back of the car to see if there is a connection for the stock module in the 2007 wiring harnes.... here is hoping..

·
Registered
381 Posts
Speaking of the rear camera and lockpick...

Does the "green" wire have to be severed as in the Coastal video or can one just tap-in with another line?

I've got an email querry into Coastal but I'm batting about 0.100 on responses.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jake_99 said:
Clave Man,

Did you ever get your answer? I just bought the lockpick myself.

Update - obviously, I could splice the wire closer to the Nav box vs back at the camera (and use more of the green wire)...

I think this is accurate, or did I miss something in the video...
I thought I would revive this topic since I also just installed my lockpick. All I have left to do is the Rear Camera turn on modification.

As this person stated, I would like to if anyone knows (via service manuals or schematics) where that green wire from the camera module in the rear of the car ends up near the dash/radio. It would make sense to splice it up nearer the dash then have to route a brand new wire all the way to the back. :banghead:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would agree...but running the wire takes 15 minutes...it'll take you longer to search and discover a "more convenient" in-dash solution.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Steve-o said:
Check out this page on coastal e-tech's web site:

http://www.coastaletech.com/GMC_APPLICATIONS.htm

It specifically states that the "camera video input not available for '07 Acadia."

So, if you have an '07, I don't think the camera input on the GMX-320 will work. :banghead:
I think that's why they only offer the GEN 5 model for the 07 model

·
Registered
154 Posts
Jake_99 said:
I would agree...but running the wire takes 15 minutes...it'll take you longer to search and discover a "more convenient" in-dash solution.
I was looking at the wiring schematic for the 2008 Outlook and the only place to get to the switched power for the back-up camera without also turning on the backup lights is located in the right or left rear pillar. Of course, the left-rear pillar is the easiest because you just pop-off the jack cover.

But, this presents an interesting option. If you always want the back-up lights to come on when you activate the rearview camera, then you can just tap into the circuit at the BCM located under the dash. This might be a nice feature if you want to look at your tow at night. Though, I don't know if the lockpick was designed to power both the backup lights and the camera too.

Also, tapping into the circuit at the BCM means the back-up light won't flash when you lock/un-lock the doors. Adding a relay would enable you to automatically switch the back-up lights and camera between Lockpick mode and normal mode.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd like to know how this is going for each of you? I've got the 09 with NAV as well + the Camera (now stnd), I would love to turn on the camera while in drive (mostly to see how truly close the guy is on my A$$ - with the high window in the back) - but my official reason is the towing one...!!

I've seen other solutions to the Nav lock out for a heck of a lot cheaper, they're in sticky - but this seems to be the only option for the camera override?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
This is an interesting thread because I would like to add factory NAV at some point, now with that said I would not like to have the rearview cam in the NAV unit because I have it in the rearview mirror, (I like the factory NAV cause the lights will match). So would a 09' NAV system be set up for rearview cam?, even if it was I wonder if it would even turn on after everything was hooked up? I do not have BLOSE so I wonder if it's a matter of a plug and play thing? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Since you want the nav unit anyway, you have nothing to lose by buying one and plugging it in. The camera signal diversion may well be a reprogramming issue with the Tech2 tool. Seems like since you are not modifying any wiring, the head unit change would not affect the camera.

One no-cost way to find out would be to visit a good sized dealer and see if there is a Tech2 Guru there. They would be able to tell you if the camera output can be (or has to be) reprogrammed. You may be able to find such a person on a forum- try GM Inside News. I am not aware of any GMC dealership techs that post here, although I'm sure there are a couple out of the 9K+ members.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Since you want the nav unit anyway, you have nothing to lose by buying one and plugging it in. The camera signal diversion may well be a reprogramming issue with the Tech2 tool. Seems like since you are not modifying any wiring, the head unit change would not affect the camera.

One no-cost way to find out would be to visit a good sized dealer and see if there is a Tech2 Guru there. They would be able to tell you if the camera output can be (or has to be) reprogrammed. You may be able to find such a person on a forum- try GM Inside News. I am not aware of any GMC dealership techs that post here, although I'm sure there are a couple out of the 9K+ members.
Good info Mr. Blue, My Saturn Dealer is owned by a huge franchise and I'm sure someone there knows Tech2. Now to tell Mrs. 6 that I would like to take her car apart :eek: I guess it's better to ask for her forgivness than to ask for her blessing >:D Somehow she found out about the new WeatherTech floorliners I ordered for the Outlook :-X I think she has connections @ the auto accessories store :eek:hno:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts