GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, several folks had posted that their rear AC didn't do anything.

I have the same problem and was wondering what the fix is.

The first time, they claimed that "up to 30 degrees warmer" in the rear is normal.

The second time (different dealer), they said "that's not right" and replaced the rear TXV today. On my drive home tonight from the dealer, I stuck a thermometer in the rear vent and it never dropped below 75F. The temperature on the backseat (2nd thermometer) was 73F. The temperature from the front vents was 45F. Doesn't sound to me like the TXV was the right fix.

For anyone who had problems and got them successfully fixed, what did they do?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone know what the fix is?

My car is back at the dealer today. I was told "well, if it isn't the TXV then we probably can't fix it. You'll have to wait for GM to come up with a fix". About an hour later, they called back and said the new TXV is probably also defective. They ordered a new one today and should hopefully have it tomorrow. If the third TXV doesn't do it, I may begin pursuing a "lemon law" case because the back seat passengers can't survive here without AC.

·
Registered
39 Posts
jseck2 said:
Anyone know what the fix is?

My car is back at the dealer today. I was told "well, if it isn't the TXV then we probably can't fix it. You'll have to wait for GM to come up with a fix". About an hour later, they called back and said the new TXV is probably also defective. They ordered a new one today and should hopefully have it tomorrow. If the third TXV doesn't do it, I may begin pursuing a "lemon law" case because the back seat passengers can't survive here without AC.
So far the dealer just had to "top-up" the rear A/C and it works fine, now. They did it without my asking. I didn't even know the systems were separate!

·
Registered
264 Posts
After looking and crawling around under it they are not seperate. You need to ask them why the freon was low! They found mine was leaking at a bad fitting and i didn't even know it was leaking. We took it in for an oil change and they found the problem. Again you need to have them check for leaks or it will happen again the freon just doesn't leak for no reason.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are 2 evaporators and 2 txv's (one front/one rear) but they share the same condenser and compressor, so the refrigerant is common to both. They are sort of separate since they can be controlled separately but they have some common components.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Picked it up tonight. They replaced the rear evaporator now as well. Unfortunately, I didn't have it long enough to test it out because less than a mile from the dealer's driveway, the dash lit up with the "Service Stabilitrak", "Service Traction Control", ABS light and high temperature on the coolant gauge. We'll see what the find but I've got my little subcompact loaner for another day at least.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just picked it up again. It has a new rear evaporator. A new (3rd) thermal expansion valve. AND STILL NO REAR AC!

After 1/2 hour of driving, the coldest air my two thermometers (stuck in the roof vents) indicated was 75F. (It's about 75F outside today)

I called the dealer back and they will contact GM but I am getting discouraged. I have to give them credit for trying though.

Could someone measure the temp coming out of their vents because I can not accept that this is normal. Next step is to walk in the showroom and measure the temp of one sitting on the lot before I accept mine back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts