GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Acadia sitting in my garage right now. :blob: I haven't bought it yet, but I convinced the dealer to let me drive it home to make sure it would fit in my garage. I have a 3 car garage and there are posts right where the front doors open. I am able to get the Acadia in and open the doors, but it is tight. I have the posts wrapped in padding just in case a door ever gets opened into one of them. This Acadia has the power mirrors, so that is really helpful in fitting it in. Once it gets dark I am going to take it for a spin, crank up the stereo to hear the Bose speakers and see how good I can see with the HID headlights. I HID on my current car and we live in a rural area, so they are very helpful for night driving.

So, here are my questions....

1. Is this a good price?

Red SLT-2 with Nav, Sunroof, DVD, 19" wheels, HID headlamps, Trailering package, Heads up display. According to Edmonds Invoice is $43,196 (including Destination Charge). Dealer is offering at $43,185 plus rebates of $500 customer cash, $500 Conquest bonus, $750 purchase bonus cash.

2. Are there any accessories that you recommend I try to get at cost when I purchase?

3. Should I just wait and get a 2009?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
skyhawk- I know 2008 vs 2009 has been debated on other threads, but here are my concerns with waiting for a 2009....

The price may go up
I may not be able to get any rebates
There really aren't any of the new options that I would get (well.... I probably would get the Bluetooth)

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The 07 had many problems. Not unexpected since it was a new model and bugs are expected. The 08 had fewer problems but some still was present. The main reason, not that there are others is the new engine with its increase in horsepower which the car needs, but the fact that the engine works better with the transmission. This is huge. More so than has been posted on this forum. The transmission in the 07s and 08s will down the road have maintenance problems due to excessive wear and tear on them. This comes straight from an auto engineer working at GM. The 09 will not have this problem. Also, the sunroofs leak on many of the 07s and 08s. I personally would not get a sunroof for that and other reasons. The 09s will have much fewer bugs and other problems. But the main reason, is the transmission repairs that folks will be facing down the road who bought 07s and 08s. Based on what he told me, I would not purchase one at any price. Why take a chance. Any money you think you are saving now will be needed for those repairs down the road. Not to mention, the link on the engine from the transmission. That is a big unknown that GM hopes doesn't happen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the additional info Skyhawk. I just did my nighttime test drive and put some fuel in it. I really enjoyed the drive and LOVE the headlights. I also LOVE the back-up camera. I can't believe how well I could see at night. I have a long dark driveway that I back out of and it is usually impossible to see behind the vehicle. The back-up camera was wonderful.

I noticed that it seems sluggish up hills, but I am used to a car that has quite a bit of "get up and go". The extra HP and better transmission in the 2009 should help with that a bit.

The HUD makes me sick to my stomach/dizzy. I am one of those people that can't read in a car, look backwards, etc. So, if I order a 2009 I will save the money and not order HUD.

And since I just read that the MPG for the AWD is rated at 1 MPG better in the 2009, that is another reason to wait.

I think I have just convinced myself to wait for the 2009.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The price of the 2009, unless you are willing to wait for up to a year for the same incentives, will likely cost you $1000+ more. But even with that, I would probably wait too. I paid more for my 08 in lieu of getting an 07.

I wonder how you would have liked it if the dealer had put the May 08 transmission update into the car. You might want to consider telling the dealer the 08 was sluggish, and if they put that transmission update into the car, and let you drive it again, you might consider it.

On the other hand, you will get better mpg with the 09, so it just might be better in the long run to go with the 09.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I say buy the '08 and send that pesky HUD to me :D. I suspect the NAV/Camera unit may cause you some trouble also, so to be safe you could send it also.

For that amount of money and your issue with the HUD/DVD (another thread), you would indeed be better off ordering a 2009 with exactly what you want. It will be less than what you tested, and be better healthwise for you & your family.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OL_Shopper - I really want the HUD and I thought it was really cool to see the XM radio info on there, but I just couldn't get over the nautious feeling in my stomach. The same thing happens to me if there is a sticker or something on the windshield. For some reason my brain gets confused when it is trying to focus on two different things. It is hard to explain to people that have never had this happen.

I am really leaning towards the 09 now. Even though the base may cost me more and the incentives might not be there I can save some money by not getting a couple of the options that I don't really need/want (HUD and maybe the 19" wheels). So I think it may be a wash.

It is going to be really hard to return this baby to the dealer today though. I loved driving it this last 24 hours!

·
Registered
152 Posts
GAR said:
The price of the 2009, unless you are willing to wait for up to a year for the same incentives, will likely cost you $1000+ more. But even with that, I would probably wait too. I paid more for my 08 in lieu of getting an 07.

I wonder how you would have liked it if the dealer had put the May 08 transmission update into the car. You might want to consider telling the dealer the 08 was sluggish, and if they put that transmission update into the car, and let you drive it again, you might consider it.

On the other hand, you will get better mpg with the 09, so it just might be better in the long run to go with the 09.
I agree. If you need the rebates then go with the 2008 as rebates on the 2009 will be slim to none. If that is not
an issue and you are prepared to wait a bit then go for the 2009. I wouldn't get too hung up over a 1 mpg
increase in the 09 over the 08 as your mileage will vary depending on your driving habits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts