GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see a rant thread, and I know this really isn't "off topic", but didn't know where else to put it.

So, here's a few rants I have--

I don't like the fact that the oil dipstick never shows the actual level of oil. It's either wet or dry, there is no inbetween!!! Same goes for the transmission dipstick! I'm so used to the flat dipsticks where you can actually get a gauge on your fluids....I don't like these cable dipsticks at all.

Aside from needing an oil change, the only other error message I get on my vehicle is "service Stabilitrak", which apparently covers all other problems, even ones that don't have anything to do with the Stabilitrak system. I don't know why, I'd think that since it's computerized, it would tell you EXACTLY what the problem is, instead of generalizing it to Stabilitrak.

Small parts - all the little screws, plastic fittings, etc.... are difficult to find. I have yet to find any replacements for these things because nobody knows the names of these parts. And I don't want to spend $50 taking my Acadia into the shop just to have a couple of plastic screws/fittings replaced when I can do it myself.......I just don't know what they are called, and I've looked and used every known descriptive word I can think of, and still comes up empty. Even the shops I've called claim they don't know what these parts are called, because they are just sold under "generic" and "blank" labels.

Tire size - I want some new tires but I can't find any for the size wheels that was made onto this vehicle. Seems NOBODY carries this size, and if they do, they don't keep them in stock! Did I just get a freeking weird experimental model or something??? This is just beyond anything I've ever seen before. And I don't want to have to buy new wheels just so I can get a common sized tire!

Changing headlight bulbs - Seriously!? The entire underside of the wheel area has to be unscrewed and taken off to get to the dang headlight bulb?!!!

:mad:

·
Registered
594 Posts
if that's as bad as it gets I'd say you'll be ok

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
1. Many engine manufacturers use cable dipsticks from time to time. It's your bad if you don't know how to read it.

2. The computer can tell you what is wrong after a warning message is illuminated. That information is stored in on-board memory for reading by the service professionals or those DIY-types who know what they're doing. The proper tools are needed to read the computer information. Those tools are readily available even if you're not an automotive technician.

3. Fasteners are fairly standard. Take the one you need to any shop (mechanical or body), show someone there what you want, and they can go to their small parts bin and retrieve one for you. Fastener kits are available if you want to have a supply on hand at home.

4. Tires aren't hard to find. If the tire dealer carries the brand but doesn't have your size in stock, they can get them fairly rapidly if you call in your choice ahead of time. Many dealers work with local warehouses where the bulk of tires are stored.

4. Headlight 'capsules' have changed the game considerably. I'll give you that one. ;) Acadia is not the only vehicle on which changing headlights is a PITA, though.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Well Since were on a rant I'll chime in....

My 2008 had a host of problems that just blew my mind:

1. -- All the speakers, seriously? we've been making speakers since the 50's and all of my door speakers over a 10 year period died. Pathetic.

2. -- Window control switches, Having to tear the door panel off again after replacing the speakers because the window controls were failing. Cheap unreliable plastic and it's kept inside and water didn't get on the switches. I would have owed up to that if that was the case.

3 -- Actuators on the Blend doors. C'mon -- why are those failing???

4 -- This one burned me the most. The Passenger side Presence sensor on the front passenger seat. GM wouldn't honor this one to replace even though it's a safety module. $1500 CAD to have that stupid thing replaced. You know what f' it !! Just have the passenger side air bag always armed. Who cares if it blows in accident, that's what insurance is for, for gods sake!

5 -- Timing Chain cover -- Why did mine leak? not once but, twice. Oh yeah to fix it simply take the engine out of the car to fix. Stupid!!!!

6 -- Agreed, changing headlights sucks!!! They should have an LED Retrofit for these by now!!

7 -- Radiator?? Dexcool I'm told is corrosive and needs to be flushed every 5 years. Great, I'd do this myself if there was a **** drain plug on the rad but, guess what there isn't. So good luck doing this job without making a mess.

8 -- Sunroofs -- ok I never had one but, those who do complain of leaking. Again sunroofs since the 50's here people, get it right! I'm told these are still leaking on newer models.

9 -- The Nannying -- Ok i get it for most drivers but, if I want power and I know the ground don't be cutting the power and applying the breaks just to try and get up a hill. This annoyed me the most, the constant cutting of power and trying to get the wheels from stopping spinning. HATED THAT

10 -- Then agreed, with the OP about plastic screws and plugs, just give me a complete diagram of all the parts and pieces that make up all the different components and I'll try and find the one I need.

11 -- Window washers!!! Had to replace both of mine because they got so brittle that they broke and wouldn't work anymore.

12 -- oh and on the topic of window washers, i had to replace the rear wiper arm on mine cause I broke it trying to replace the **** blade. Then I modified the Arm so it could stand straight out while I washed the car, just the like the front blades....

13 - Transmissions, luckily mine never had the Waveplate problem but it did have the TECM Problem where the little tiny, itsy bitsy, filaments in the transmission failed and it cost me another $1500 CAD to fix at 203000 kms. I know this is more a wear and tear item but, please my Dad's driving around in his 1978 Buick with 400000 + km's on the original Transmission, my last Pickup truck that I sold to a friend 99' Silverado, 298000 KM's Original Tranny.
Stopping making stuff that fails!!!!

I drove American vehicles for 20 years but, this was my last one. I took a bath on it getting rid of it and will never buy another GM or Domestic product again.

Ok off my rant. Just couldn't resist. Sorry.

·
Registered
438 Posts

I don't like the fact that the oil dipstick never shows the actual level of oil. It's either wet or dry, there is no inbetween!!! Same goes for the transmission dipstick! I'm so used to the flat dipsticks where you can actually get a gauge on your fluids....I don't like these cable dipsticks at all.

Is this on newer models? My 2008 has the flat dipstick. The transmission is also flat and it's very small made of plastic IIRC. Not sure what is the reason for changing to the cable style but my 18 year German car has the cable kind to measure tranny fluid. It has Min and Max marks though for cold and hot fluid temps

Aside from needing an oil change, the only other error message I get on my vehicle is "service Stabilitrak", which apparently covers all other problems, even ones that don't have anything to do with the Stabilitrak system. I don't know why, I'd think that since it's computerized, it would tell you EXACTLY what the problem is, instead of generalizing it to Stabilitrak. Why can't we have a built in scanner and use the infotainment system to get codes? I'm hoping in the future cars have a built in diagnostics.

I hate the message too. It seems like this system has a lot of components in it. If one of them goes bad or stutters bam you get the message. Without proper scan tool you are SOL. Maybe it's another ploy to make you go to the dealer.

Small parts - all the little screws, plastic fittings, etc.... are difficult to find. I have yet to find any replacements for these things because nobody knows the names of these parts. And I don't want to spend $50 taking my Acadia into the shop just to have a couple of plastic screws/fittings replaced when I can do it myself.......I just don't know what they are called, and I've looked and used every known descriptive word I can think of, and still comes up empty. Even the shops I've called claim they don't know what these parts are called, because they are just sold under "generic" and "blank" labels.

Have not really had any trouble finding any parts for mine including fasteners, plastics fittings, etc

Tire size - I want some new tires but I can't find any for the size wheels that was made onto this vehicle. Seems NOBODY carries this size, and if they do, they don't keep them in stock! Did I just get a freeking weird experimental model or something??? This is just beyond anything I've ever seen before. And I don't want to have to buy new wheels just so I can get a common sized tire!

Really, what Model Year/Trim you have? Maybe they just moved to a new tire size that's not used by many. I recall the early years of the Acadia had the same issue where it was difficult to find tires but after 2-3 years problem went away.

Changing headlight bulbs - Seriously!? The entire underside of the wheel area has to be unscrewed and taken off to get to the dang headlight bulb?!!!

Exactly, what were they thinking!! :grin:

Well Since were on a rant I'll chime in....

My 2008 had a host of problems that just blew my mind:
Wow, that is a lot of issues!! Are these over a long time ?

Hope you have better luck on your next ride

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
Chop-chop
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing