GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:angryfire:

OK, call me picky, but after waiting 8 weeks for delivery and after screwing around for over two hours and getting bent over on my trade, we go out to look at our 08 SLT2 and the first thing I notice is they put the friggin' bracket and dealer publicity tag on the front bumper.

Here in Florida we only have rear plates, so why in the hell do dealers feel compelled to drill your front bumper with a nonsense POS license holder? So they can put their POS plastic promo plate on the car?

We ended up walking after no manager on duty appeared to have any desire to discuss calling a GM regional rep and finding a solution...there only response was "Can't do anything about it because it won't be covered by warranty".

This just amazes me...here we are coming out of a BMW and this is our intro to MC customer service.

What to do? Am I being unreasonable to not want a drilled bumper?

Rant off.

·
Registered
812 Posts
we have the same situation here in Indiana (rear plates only ), i made sure i told the the salesguy that i dont wanna see any front bumper plates or any dealer sticker on the vehicle before i ordered one. Sorry about the your situation, the dealer should be liable for it! Have them take it for a fill and repainting of the bumper to a qualified auto repair shop and let them pay for it. Thats the least that they can do.....

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I proudly display my dealer plate, sticker, etc. I recommend them to anyone. However, if you don't want that plate on your front bumper, and you don't want those holes in the bumper they drilled, then you should get a new bumper, or a new car. PERIOD!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I completly agree! Having an unnecessary [/color] hole drilled into your new vehicle - without asking - should be fixed to your satisfaction...at dealer expense. And I mean a very clean job that nobody will ever notice - even when looking from 10" away! Stick to your guns. Let us know how it goes!

Smooth <><

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Same situation. Ours came from NY (front plates) to PA (no front plates). I don't think you can get it filled & painted since the holes are in the black plastic. I was going to buy a replacement lower cover (part 25832805) at dealer cost, around $150 (retail is around $250), but opted for four little black nylon plugs from Lowe's for a few bucks. They're located in the Hillman speciaty fastener drawers. Can't remember the exact size offhand. I'm sure they're available many places.

I'm pretty picky about this stuff, but I was satisfied enough with the plugs. I can snap a pic if you'd like. If you're not happy with that option, maybe you could ask the dealer to swap pieces. They did that for the Grand Prix that I bought that came in from Ohio. Ended up with the more expensive grill portion. :)

Oh, and you may also need the chrome strip (10365423). Looks like it may be on with an adhesive - never got that far to verify though.

edit: Added a picture. Sorry, it's a little salty, tried to wipe it off! These are only 1/4" diameter, they look big up close and well defined with the flash. Don't really see them unless you're looking for them. And if you do, they almost look factory, no worse than some cars that have knockouts for non-optioned equipment like rear sensors.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd be fit to be tied to (I also live in FL). You've probably got a $40,000 plus vehicle; at Burger King you can have it your way for about $5.00.
I told my dealer before my Enclave arrived I didn't want the front plate bracket or any other dealer stickers etc. I did let them put the dealer rear license plate bracket on. I've purchased three Buick's from this dealer and all were delivered the same way.
Filling the holes is probably not a good option but you might consider this. Your bumper is black; go to an auto parts store or body shop and get some black plugs that are about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in dia. with the barbed prongs on them. These things are use for all sorts of application on autos. If your dealer has a body shop I bet they would have them. My guess is you would be the only one that would notice them. Do you know what I am talking about?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have to admit, I would be pretty unhappy about your situation. It's amazing they are willing to walk away from a sale without trying to make it right. Good luck, the good news is that you probably have another dealer you could work with and get it the way you want. Let us know what you end up doing, and sorry it's not what you hoped for. Erik

·
Registered
683 Posts
I say fight it all the way. In Illinois we are required to have front and rear plates, but many people seem to get away without them. Mostly Corvettes, Mini Coopers, and VW Bugs for some reason.

I like the other posters solutions...charge them for the advertising space or get a new piece swapped for no charge. Personally I could not deal with the plugs. For as long as I own the vehicle, I would be reminded of the crappy situation each time I wash the car. I would kick myself every time that I didn't speak up and fight for what I wanted on a 30-40K car.

I would not even offer the option of filling the holes to the dealer. They will simpy choose the cheapest solution, which would probably be the black plastic trim plugs laying around the shop. Don't even give them the idea. Instead I would fight to have the whole piece replaced FREE of charge and a loaner car provided in the interim.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Our dealer would NOT have done that, but our new Malibu was swapped over...and gasp...one of the other dealers sought it fit to screw it on there. When I first went to see the car, even the salesperson was not happy and worried what we'd think, but thankfully the car is Dark Gray and my mother (the buyer) was more than fine after the fact with the little plugs they used after removal.

If they had done it themselves, I for sure would have pushed for a more thorough fix, but they didn't and it's really not that noticeable in person and the queen doesn't care, so oh well. Doesn't show up nearly as much as it does in my close-up picture, again, due to the coloring and position.

In YOUR case, they should definitely fix it. I know of at least two other people who recently bought new 2008 Cadillac CTS and the dealer prep crew took it upon themselves to screw on the bracket....only to later have to replace & repaint the front fascia because the buyer did NOT want it or the holes. They will fix it, but push for it...especially because it was an order, and not from another dealer, etc.

It's bad treatment and business otherwise, and technically considered non-specified damage on their part and nothing to do with GM.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Jeff95TA said:
Same situation. Ours came from NY (front plates) to PA (no front plates). I don't think you can get it filled & painted since the holes are in the black plastic. I was going to buy a replacement lower cover (part 25832805) at dealer cost, around $150 (retail is around $250), but opted for four little black nylon plugs from Lowe's for a few bucks. They're located in the Hillman speciaty fastener drawers. Can't remember the exact size offhand. I'm sure they're available many places.
^^THIS is EXACTLY what you should make the dealer do and replace. It's not a huge cost out of their pocket and will fix the issue entirely, for something you did not want.

·
Registered
234 Posts
In Delaware we are only rear plate but I always get the front bracket to add my chrome Eagles tag (yes, I know it is a bull's eye for police radar...).

·
Registered
730 Posts
When I just got my vehicle, I scheduled an appointment to have the front brackets removed by the dealership. The button plugs they put into the holes did not really sit properly and add to the fact that there was a scratch (not noticeable from a distance) which reflect a sign of struggle between the service guy and the bracket. I came back the following day to show them and asked it to be repaired/fixed....service manager decided to have the entire bumper removed and replaced. I was a happy guy.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
kram said:
I came back the following day to show them and asked it to be repaired/fixed....service manager decided to have the entire bumper removed and replaced. I was a happy guy.
NICE, THAT DEALER DID IT THE RIGHT WAY. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE :blob: :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Problem solved...GM would not escalate "the complaint" because we had "not purchased the car" and the dealer, who could not have cared less said "take it or leave it." :banghead:

So we left it. For a Saturn Outlook. ;D IT took us awhile to get used to the idea of a "Saturn", but the test ride convinced us. We also took a liking to the "wood" trim of the Outlook vs the brushed chrome.

Got a new 07 AWD Charcoal/Black Leather 7 passenger, enhanced convenience package, dual sunroof with 19" wheels, (everything but HID, Nav and DVD) AND $1500 off sticker AND 0% financing. Totally different experience there. Got a $50 gift cert for the test drive, no heavy handed pushiness, a better deal on my trade, no obscene bullhorns paging salespeople, etc. Interesting experience. The car is coming from the sister shop on the other side of town, so we pick it up tomorrow. With no drilled bumper.

Also in today's mail was the letter from Kaiser GMC in Deland "thanking" me for our recent purchase and coaching us that a representative from GM would be calling for the survey....

I'll try to restrain myself. :angel:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Wow...now THAT's a change of the story :thumb:

Hopefully the Saturn works out for you, as well as the deal certainly did. As poorly as their response was, it's a good thing you found another avenue. It's a year older vehicle, but as long as it's had all the updates applied (such as transmission, etc.) should be fine and dandy.

And as far as the survey...yes, be very honest. Those are MUCH more important than people naturally think, and typically any little negative brought up on one the dealer hears about in a not so nice way, it impacts their CSI scores, etc. Big reason why so many "suggest" you give them all great marks, which is fine, if it's true. This case...not so much.

·
Registered
812 Posts
fln8tive said:
Problem solved...GM would not escalate "the complaint" because we had "not purchased the car" and the dealer, who could not have cared less said "take it or leave it." :banghead:

So we left it. For a Saturn Outlook. ;D IT took us awhile to get used to the idea of a "Saturn", but the test ride convinced us. We also took a liking to the "wood" trim of the Outlook vs the brushed chrome.

Got a new 07 AWD Charcoal/Black Leather 7 passenger, enhanced convenience package, dual sunroof with 19" wheels, (everything but HID, Nav and DVD) AND $1500 off sticker AND 0% financing. Totally different experience there. Got a $50 gift cert for the test drive, no heavy handed pushiness, a better deal on my trade, no obscene bullhorns paging salespeople, etc. Interesting experience. The car is coming from the sister shop on the other side of town, so we pick it up tomorrow. With no drilled bumper.

Also in today's mail was the letter from Kaiser GMC in Deland "thanking" me for our recent purchase and coaching us that a representative from GM would be calling for the survey....

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS :thumb:!!! but dont restrain yourself!!! just be honest!!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Should be one HOT looker, too :thumb:...just ignore that, uh, front plate bracket on this one...

And...PLATELESS, from a great dealership. Congrats, again, after that first debacle.

·
Registered
251 Posts
fln8tive said:

Better this than the silly notion of having the GMC and sending an advertising bill to the dealer. You'd die of old age before you ever saw a cent.

Congratulations on your new ride.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts