GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a nutshell, back in June we decided to sell/trade our Durango and get a new vehicle, our first "new" one since 1996.

We looked over the market at that time and soon the field was narrowed. Some candidates included:
Dodge Durango (2008)- Didn't care for the style, plus they were expensive (this was before the mega factory cash and deals that put them in the same price range as the Journey)
Dodge Journey (2009)- The ones we tested had AC units that did not seem to work as well as they should

GM Lamda:
Outlook (2008)- Tested a couple and liked them. Couldn't get the nav unit on the base (XE) model like you could on the Journey. Didn't like the wood trim on the XR. Didn't like the interior colors, either too light (Titanium) or dark (Ebony).
Acadia (2008)- As with the Outlook, the only way to get nav was the top of the line model. HUD, no wood, & 8 passenger seating were nice features.
Traverse (2009)- Chevy r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w on getting info out, then it turns out you can only get three colors right away, none of which we want. On a good note, you can get nav with the mid-level (1LT) unit. It priced out several thousand less than the Acadia (until now, see below), of course w/o some bells and whistles like the cooled seats, power liftgate, remote start, etc.

The Acadia model with comparable equipment is over $10,000 more than the Dodge Journey, but is more spacious inside and has cooled seats for the 2009 version. We elect to pay the added money and get the 2009 Acadia SLT2.

Fast-forward a little over a month and we have ordered a 2009 Acadia SLT2. We were quoted a price after a lot of negotiation of $38,963.35 with all fees, plus tax, minus any rebates or incentives present at time of delivery. The "Employee Pricing for Everyone" which should read ...Almost Everyone" does not apply to 2009 Acadias.

I was notified today there had been an increase in the destination charge, so my price had gone up $484, and found that I could get a better deal just by using the Supplier Discount Number I have had since June, albeit still several hundred more than I was quoted. Fortunately, we did not have to put down a deposit, so I can punch out of this deal w/ no loss other than all the time I spent.

I then looked at some other alternatives to determine if the $10K premium over the Journey and now Durango was worth it for the cooled seats. This was when I saw the huge discounts on the Durango- $39K Limited models were listed at some dealers for around $30K, $6K of this was factory cash. The Journey also had $1,500 of factory cash, and had the benefits (for us) of offering cloth seats and nav in the mid-level model. None of the 2009 Lambda models have any incentives. I looked at the Traverse again only to find that Chevy has hiked the price on the nav unit on the 1LT only by $950 ($2,840 for 1LT, $1,890 for 2LT and the Acadia)! If you order the rear DVD, they knock off $500. It's the same radio in all of them!

Source for Traverse data: http://www.chevrolet.com/traverse/PricingPDF.pdf as of 9-1-08

In light of all of this, the reservations I had over ordering a nearly $40,000 vehicle are now full-blown doubts. I really like the Acadia, but I'm also really thinking the Dodges will fit our needs for a lot less money. The 484 straws today may have broken this Camel's back.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Holy [email protected] Blue are you going to cancel your order?
I know th Durango gas millage is very poor compared to the Acadia isn't it?
but you have already placed your order. They can't charge you more after you have signed the contract. Can they? :eek:hno:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We looked at the gas thing a while back when it was over $4/gallon. For all the more we drive, this is not a factor (plus Mrs. Blue liked the get up & go of the V8 in her prior Durangos). We have not signed anything, all we have is a computer order form with a handwritten price, so really no commitment on either side.

I'll sleep on it & see what 9-3 brings for offers/incentives.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
We looked at the gas thing a while back when it was over $4/gallon. For all the more we drive, this is not a factor (plus Mrs. Blue liked the get up & go of the V8 in her prior Durangos). We have not signed anything, all we have is a computer order form with a handwritten price, so really no commitment on either side.

I'll sleep on it & see what 9-3 brings for offers/incentives.
Factory orders up here come with a 1000 dollar deposit due when order is placed thus if you walk they keep your cash.

·
Registered
52 Posts
How did you find out about the price increase? Did the dealer say himself he was going to put it up for you? We pay like 1250 for Destination charge so don't feel bad. :sosad:
This is the kind of [email protected]$t that happens that takes all the fun out of getting a new car. :angryfire: No wonder people hate shopping for one. After haggelling with the sales person... then he has to approve it with the manager... then you think you have a deal... then they change the price before it is even delivered. :banghead:
I feel for you Blue, I am sure whatever the decision it will be the best for you and your family. Good luck. I would go to the dealer tomorrow and tell them if they charge you the extra money you are going to walk!!! See what happens.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Blue, my son got a MUCH better deal on his 08 Durago, family vehicle, earlier this year even if he used his GM employee discount. Yes, it is a V8, gets poorer gas mileage than an Acadia, and are most happy with their Durago for the past 7 months. It is loaded except DVD. He drives his Chevy 4X4 to work, otherwise the Durago would get booted out of the work parking lot and take lots of abuse from fellow employees. Before that, they had a Chrysler Pacifica, b/c at that time, it was the only vehicle with 3 rows. You will have to go with what you feel is best..............Good Luck!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Blue,
I know the Durango is a decent vehicle but I believe the Acadia is worth $10,000 more than the Durango. I just took our '09 up in the Mountains today and there was no lack of power and it got 19 MPG with only 100 miles on the odometer when we started. Just my .02 but you will be way happy with spending the extra money.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have you looked at the actual longterm cost of ownership? The trade-in value of Dodge vehicles is very scary! It will be even worse in a couple of years when Dodge is out of business (do the research on Ceberus and what they are doing). Sometimes, the 'best deal' isn't the best deal. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
teetertotter,
They must LOVE you when you visit him at work in the Mustang. ;D Funny thing when I worked at dealers in the past (decades ago) most of the mechanics/employees drove other brands of vehicles. The only ones that drove the company brand were the salesmen & managers, who drove demos.

Another Durango would be consistent, we (she) has had 2x 1998s, and 1 x 2001 that we just sold.

emnel,
I found out aboot the price increase when the dealer emailed me today with the invoice. I was initially excited, because he sent another email saying it was not our truck since we had ordered AWD (we didn't). I crunched the numbers and asked aboot the discrepancy, and this was when he called and told me aboot the destination charge increase, eh?

DSNY,
$1,000 deposit, eh? I wouldn't commit to that for the reason we are experiencing- an unannounced price increase. I was very hesitant aboot buying w/o having a sales number.

Colorado,
I'm having a hard time justifying the extra money for the Acadia, and this increase is pure salt in the wound. I know we would love an Acadia, but I have to be a good steward of our money at the same time.

Thanks all for the replies & support. We'll see what happens in the next week.

Certain portions of this reply were composed in Canadian in response to the original reply. There is no need to readjust your spellcheck settings. :)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
xseler said:
Have you looked at the actual longterm cost of ownership? The trade-in value of Dodge vehicles is very scary! It will be even worse in a couple of years when Dodge is out of business (do the research on Ceberus and what they are doing). Sometimes, the 'best deal' isn't the best deal. Just my opinion.
I don't buy vehicles based on resale value- I look at the mechanicals, ease of maintenance, equipment, options, cost, usability for our situation, and styling (not necessarily in that order). Mrs. Blue (the end user here) will drive what gets filtered and make her decision based on all of the info at hand. Out of business? Not a factor for me. Every vehicle/series I own is no longer made with the exception of the Durango:
Corvair: RIP 1969
280Z: RIP 1978
Supra/RX7: RIP 1992
Daytona: RIP 1993
BMW (E34) : RIP 1995
Trans Am: RIP 2002

Someone will always make parts for these vehicles (heck, I've even made a few myself ;)), so I will continue to enjoy them.

On a related note, I wish I would have bought GM stock when it was under $9 recently. Who knows, it may be back there soon.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Couple questions:

- Is the Durango comparable to the SLT2 as far as options, interior, etc? All the add-on prices really seem to add up quick.

- How many miles were on the Durangos you got rid of? Just curious how they were past the standard warranty period. We considered a Durango, but even the lifetime powertrain wasn't enough to convince me. I was just too concerned about other problems - but maybe that's just a sterotypical view that I have of Dodge.

As far as destination charges, I would think everyone would be increasing them with fuel costs.

I had a price increase on my '95 Trans Am when I ordered it, but they honored the original agreed on price; however, it was an increase in the base price, not the destination.

Good luck!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
teetertotter,
They must LOVE you when you visit him at work in the Mustang. ;D Funny thing when I worked at dealers in the past (decades ago) most of the mechanics/employees drove other brands of vehicles. The only ones that drove the company brand were the salesmen, who drove demos.

Another Durango would be consistent, we (she) has had 2x 1998s, and 1 x 2001 that we just sold.

emnel,
I found out aboot the price increase when the dealer emailed me today with the invoice. I was initially excited, because he sent another email saying it was not our truck since we had ordered AWD (we didn't). I crunched the numbers and asked aboot the discrepancy, and this was when he called and told me aboot the destination charge increase, eh?

DSNY,
$1,000 deposit, eh? I wouldn't commit to that for the reason we are experiencing- an unannounced price increase. I was very hesitant aboot buying w/o having a sales number.

Colorado,
I'm having a hard time justifying the extra money for the Acadia, and this increase is pure salt in the wound. I know we would love an Acadia, but I have to be a good steward of our money at the same time.

Thanks all for the replies & support. We'll see what happens in the next week.

Certain portions of this reply were composed in Canadian in response to the original reply. There is no need to readjust your spellcheck settings. :)
This is where I am lucky our price was solid at time of order and even the payments were figured out at that time so our contract is concrete no increses as even GMAC has finalized our paperwork. This was all done the day we ordered the truck.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeff-

The Durango & Journey both offer a nav system, combined with what Mopar calls MyGig- a hard drive based audio system. Both have single sunroofs (the wife actually likes these as compared to the skylight setup), bluetooth via Uconnect, 7 passenger seating (-1 from Acadia), tri-zone AC, remote start, cloth (Journey SXT) / leather (Journey R/T/Durango Limited) interiors, tow prep or class 4 packages. The big difference is the cooled seats, which really appeal to my wife. For this reason alone I was willing to bite the bullet & go the extra $ for the SLT2, but the way GM does options is really irritating. Someone pointed out here in another thread that there was an SLT1 for sale in Jacksonville FL with the nav system, which according to GM can't exist. I looked at it, and sure enough, the dealer has two of them with SLT1 and nav on the window sticker. On the Journey, you can get all the options such as nav, MyGig, etc. on the mid-level SXT model and keep the cloth interior. The biggest financial factor is the base price for the Journey & the cash back on the Durango. A $40K Durango can be had at several dealers for around $30~31K advertised (no negotiation needed :)) due to $6K in factory money & dealer money of $1,800~2,000+, while the Journey offers $1,500 in factory cash and some dealers are advertising $1~2K in discounts. The fully loaded R/T is about $31K. The SXT can be had equipped as we like it for around $30K w/o any negotiation, I suspect with negotiation I could save $1K.

I don't remember how many were on the first '98 we sold, the '01 had 81K and my '98 hand me down has about 135K. The maintenance/repairs I've had to do on them was a water pump on both, an evap core on mine (it has the best AC of any vehicle we've owned in recent years), a transmission sensor on the '01. Of course, when I inherited the white '98, I modded it to include some R/T headers w/ 3" single exhaust, R/T 17" wheels, cold air intake, Hawk pads & slotted rotors, and R/T insignia (the "Type R" of Dodge ;)).

I can understand an increase in prices, but I guess it is the dealer not honoring the agreed upon price that is what is getting me, trying to milk another $500 on a $39K sale that was zero effort on their part other than typing it into the computer (I told them exactly what I wanted and even how to order the cooled seats which at the time were "not available" according to them) coupled with this BS ad campaign of "Employee Prices for Everyone". Everyone except those buying most 2009 models.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey there, Blue.
I'm inclined to agree with our fellow posters that, based on what research I have done, the Destination Charge has not changed. Perhaps the increase is "internal" and intended for units produced AFTER the September 1st posting by GM. Seems to me that since you and the dealership had either an "understanding" or a written agreement within certain monetary parameters, that they should either honor the original agreement or find some way to eat it.

A $400.00+ increase on Destination Charges is a hard pill to swallow. Once again they are probably counting on you to take the deal, regardless of how painful it is. The situation stinks and I know it makes you angry. But, ultimately it is up to you to determine just how bad you want this vehicle or if you are willing to take your business elsewhere. Regardless of what anyone says . . . can they honestly say that they would NOT take the deal (if they had waited as long as you have and anticipated the arrival of your new Acadia)? The principle is rightous, but the desire my be stonger . . . I'm certainly not going to judge your decision either way.

I realize that the chance of them just outright taking the hit is minimal. But to give you the impression (in writing, no less) that there was an agreement which included a Destination Charge of $735.00 (which has been the universal amount charged with no official warning of an increase until AFTER your vehicle was built) raises some questions. (Either your dealership, your saleperson or GM should address this issue immediately . . . and fairly.

Let's hope this is not another inconsiderate rip-off by GM Corporate.
Hey Blue,
I posted the quote above on a different string, but I wanted to be sure you were aware of my sentiments (for what they are worth).

I agree with DSNY FN and some of the others. If you already had an agreement, I think it would be difficult for them to redefine that understanding. Further, you do have the option to walk, so if they don't agree to work something out then you can threaten to walk out. See what happens.

:eek:fftopic: :soapbox:

One other thing: I realize that you too are or were an owner of a Dodge Durango. I owned a 2000 model year and really loved it. It was powerful, comfortable, roomy, good on and off road, and just a general all-around favorite of mine. It lent itself to certain modifications (if I chose to make those changes), and in my mind was quite versatile without any apparent major mechanical or electrical problems during my ownership.
However, I discovered to my extreme dispair and in a final, painful result which will remain always, that the vehicle was really not safe. There were issues about the high center of gravity, the brakes and the potential roll-over factors that were written about and reported extensively. Dodge fought the stories and followed up with litigation all across the country to stamp out the discussion about this flaw. Their "spin machine" and corporate lawyers (and surrogates) worked hard to avoid or control class action lawsuits regarding injuries and deaths resulting from these engineering and design flaws. They eventually "re-engineered" the vehicle, allegedly making them more resistant to roll-over.

Whether or not the alleged changes in design of the Dodge Durango are sufficient to prevent further accidents or deaths is not the issue. The question would be: Would you trust an organization that would go to such lengths to hide something so potentially devastating to the consumer and his family?

I am relating my concerns from personal experience. Should you finally choose to buy another Dodge Durango, please be forewarned.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
detnick said:
One other thing: I realize that you too are or were an owner of a Dodge Durango. I owned a 2000 model year and really loved it. It was powerful, comfortable, roomy, good on and off road, and just a general all-around favorite of mine. It lent itself to certain modifications (if I chose to make those changes), and in my mind was quite versatile without any apparent major mechanical or electrical problems during my ownership.
However, I discovered to my extreme despair and in a final, painful result which will remain always, that the vehicle was really not safe. There were issues about the high center of gravity, the brakes and the potential roll-over factors that were written about and reported extensively. Dodge fought the stories and followed up with litigation all across the country to stamp out the discussion about this flaw. Their "spin machine" and corporate lawyers (and surrogates) worked hard to avoid or control class action lawsuits regarding injuries and deaths resulting from these engineering and design flaws. They eventually "re-engineered" the vehicle, allegedly making them more resistant to roll-over.

Whether or not the alleged changes in design of the Dodge Durango are sufficient to prevent further accidents or deaths is not the issue. The question would be: Would you trust an organization that would go to such lengths to hide something so potentially devastating to the consumer and his family?

I am relating my concerns from personal experience. Should you finally choose to buy another Dodge Durango, please be forewarned.
You know I have Corvairs, right? :)

We've had minimal problems with the Durangos, my wife has had three 2 x 98, 1 x 01. I still use the second '98 as a tow/general purpose vehicle. I know they put larger front brakes on starting in '03. I wasn't aware of the legal issues. I've modified "my" '98 with some bolt-on stuff and the 17" R/T wheels. It has 135K miles and runs great. If I want to go fast around curves, it is not the vehicle of preference. I have a few other options for that. The largest drawback to buying one is the style- we both like the 98-03 design a lot better.

·
Registered
347 Posts
That's a coincidence. My older brother (by 13 years) had a Corvair (Man, was that car fun to drive). I remember when he first brougth it home with it's rear mounted air cooled engine. I still remember that new car smell . . . :D

I'm glad that you haven't had any problems with your Durango. As I said, I thought it was a great vehicle, all things being relative. It's just that what many considered to be a design flaw resulted in a considerable personal loss. Perhaps that incident and others like it that were reported played a part in changing the design and addressing those issues. :)

Enjoy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts