GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the May 8th Tranny update a few days ago.
I want to say when I filled up the gas tank before the update the range would say like 339 or something.
Today I filled up for the first time after the update and it said 288.
What is everyone else's saying before and after the update??

·
Registered
681 Posts
My bet would be that when the treanny update was done the entire DIC was reset, if you only drove a few miles (especially if it was city driving) it is calculating that range based on a lower average mpg. That 330 plus was probably based on the average over many miles. I would bet that the range will start to increase as you drive some more (normal mix of city/highway). Give it some time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just had the May update done this Monday, the DIC was not reset. I agree with Johnway and would give it a couple tanks. I am almost down to the quarter tank mark so this weekend would be the first fillup after the update. Will see how the mileage goes with that tank, but the car drives much better after the update.

Mike

·
Registered
275 Posts
My estimated range after a month of city driving vs. range during a 3000km road trip differ so much it's not even funny.

Like others have said; give it some time to relearn.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't think that we have the new update, but the range today at fill-up was 268.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had the May 8th update done a little over a month ago. My average has actually gone up about 1 mpg since the update.

When I fill up it always tells me my range is between 335 and 360. I've probably filled the tank at least 10 times since then. We drive in very hilly terrain. But probably more highway miles than the average Acadia owner.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Stated range after fill up varies greatly depending upon the driving conditions just prior. If we're on a road trip, it displays a range at or above 400 miles. If we fill up after driving around town, it can be low 300s. Don't believe the tranny flash has anything to do with it. We've had two reflashes on ours since March 07 purchase and get consistent readings and MPG. Maybe even better with the second flash.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Acadia4VA-WV said:
Stated range after fill up varies greatly depending upon the driving conditions just prior. If we're on a road trip, it displays a range at or above 400 miles. If we fill up after driving around town, it can be low 300s. Don't believe the tranny flash has anything to do with it. We've had two reflashes on ours since March 07 purchase and get consistent readings and MPG. Maybe even better with the second flash.
He's right, it has nothing to do with the flash. This number changes all the time. The number of miles available shown is based on the MPG the DIC has computed at that particular moment and the amount of fuel used/not used at that time as well. Please note - the DIC does not actually know how much fuel is left or has used, it is an estimate based on a myriad of factors.

You can look at the display right after fueling and it my say 345, based on the last MPG of city driving. Then when you start driving on the highway and the MPG goes up, so will the distance for a short time.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
khansen30 said:
Please note - the DIC does not actually know how much fuel is left or has used, it is an estimate based on a myriad of factors.
I think the DIC does know how much fuel is in the tank. If I am at a 1/2 tank, and the DIC says I have about 150 miles to go, then I fill up, immediately after I get back into the car, it then reads about 300 miles.

I think the same fuel sensor that feeds the fuel gauge feeds the DIC. My guess is that the computer reads the sensor and then controls the gauge as well as the DIC. Either way, I think the DIC knows how much fuel is in the tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I must not be following this thread correctly. I regularly get 380 miles ...and 400 if I stretch it to the limit... on each tank. Driving a 2008 SLE AWD :thumb:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I was not posting how many miles I had actually driven, but what the computer says is my range. The computer bases the miles on the mpg from the most recent period of driving. When I got my 150 and 300 I had been driving for awhile in horrible situation for mileage. Now that I have driven normally, when totally full, I too get about 400 miles.

When out on the road, and topping it off until FULL, I have actually gotten 480 actually before fill up. Of course, the computer was telling me I had a range of about 400 miles for the first 150 miles or so because I had "topped it off"

The post was originally about the range the computer was saying the car had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts