GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 GMC Acadia SLT-1 AWD Quicksilver Metallic Light / Titanium Leather
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2011 GMC Acadia SLT-1 with 174k miles! I absolutely love the Acadia! But I’ve started noticing thinks that give me a bit of a fright.

The Acadia has developed a random shake (feels like AWD when you turn a tight corner) every now and then when driving. Happens on all roads at all speeds, with nothing on the road like water or snow. It’s not a all day kinda thing it just happens randomly like three times in seven days. Also happens on tight corner turns like a U turn.

Second I’ve noticed my gas mileage is 14.1 average after multiple resets. I drive mostly 35-70 mph roads daily. Is this normal? I use 83, the cheapest gas, not sure the number lol. I’ve had my engine air filter changed and many oil changes.

Finally I’ve started to smell what smells like natural gas from the car when I’ve stopped. No way it can be natural gas I know but smells eerily close. I’ve had my cabin air filter changed twice, different brands, and deep cleaned the car ane engine.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I once owned an '11. 14-15 mpg was all I ever got around town. Could manage close to 20 on road trips.

The smell of gas would concern me. I would be checking for a gas leak.

The shaking could be caused by a number of things. Failing engine/transmission mounts immediately come to mind as well as failing cv joints/wheel bearings.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I drive a 2011 GMC Acadia SLT-1 with 174k miles! I absolutely love the Acadia! But I’ve started noticing thinks that give me a bit of a fright.

The Acadia has developed a random shake (feels like AWD when you turn a tight corner) every now and then when driving. Happens on all roads at all speeds, with nothing on the road like water or snow. It’s not a all day kinda thing it just happens randomly like three times in seven days. Also happens on tight corner turns like a U turn.

Second I’ve noticed my gas mileage is 14.1 average after multiple resets. I drive mostly 35-70 mph roads daily. Is this normal? I use 83, the cheapest gas, not sure the number lol. I’ve had my engine air filter changed and many oil changes.

Finally I’ve started to smell what smells like natural gas from the car when I’ve stopped. No way it can be natural gas I know but smells eerily close. I’ve had my cabin air filter changed twice, different brands, and deep cleaned the car ane engine.

Thanks
For the shaking. The first thing to do is have it scanned and see if there are any codes, Could be running rich, misfires, etc.
Also, maybe check the motor mounts. After 10 years of use they could be worn.

But as @divotdug says. . . the gas odor implies a leak. Putting it up on a lift and first checking the engine bay might help in looks for fuel weeping somewhere.

Reactions: zhanellester

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I once owned an '11. 14-15 mpg was all I ever got around town. Could manage close to 20 on road trips.

The smell of gas would concern me. I would be checking for a gas leak.

The shaking could be caused by a number of things. Failing engine/transmission mounts immediately come to mind as well as failing cv joints/wheel bearings.
Thank you!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the shaking. The first thing to do is have it scanned and see if there are any codes, Could be running rich, misfires, etc.
Also, maybe check the motor mounts. After 10 years of use they could be worn.

But as @divotdug says. . . the gas odor implies a leak. Putting it up on a lift and first checking the engine bay might help in looks for fuel weeping somewhere.
Thank you! Sounds like I’ll be going broke lol

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
The "natural gas" smell is usually associated with venting of fumes from the transfer case and differential of AWD vehicles. Lots of discussions about that exist on the forum. If yours isn't AWD, you might want to look for post catalytic converter exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Thank you! Sounds like I’ll be going broke lol
Maybe not. Depends if you are a bit handy around vehicles. some of it may be DIY. But also, best to know for sure what the problem may be and not just throw parts at it.
That can add up in no time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe not. Depends if you are a bit handy around vehicles. some of it may be DIY. But also, best to know for sure what the problem may be and not just throw parts at it.
That can add up in no time.
I’m not handy with cars, the hardest thing I did for this car was change the headlight bulb. Anyone whose owned this car knows that pain!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m not handy with cars, the hardest thing I did for this car was change the headlight bulb. Anyone whose owned this car knows that pain!
Lol I am by NO MEANS mechanically inclined, my bf is worthless when it comes to actually DOING ANYTHING for my truck or repairs. So if I need it done, I've got to do it myself! I DO know the pain of the replacing headlight bulbs! TWICE now lol.. but after I did it, it made me feel really good and made me Def look at my romantic situation through a NON-rose colored lense the way I previously did..🤨

1 - 9 of 9 Posts