GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got curious again, so decided to check out the air filter box.

Good news is that we don't have to worry much about dust from our off road adventures getting into the engine. Problem is I'm not sure how much air flow we get either.
First two pictures are the filter and top of the air filter box

This is the bottom. Notice the big tube entering to the right of the box. That goes out and down about 8" into a protected well that you see behind the box. It looks like a big horn pointing down. I tried to get a picture, but the opening was too small. The only direct airflow is up from the bottom.

There were 6 (star?) screws holding the box on. Had to jam my driver into a socket to reach and turn some of them. Minor pain but not real bad. Thats what this picture is of. It's a 1/8" driver.

Can't really tell how much airflow is funneled up. Don't really know if it matters. Of course the aftermarket groups that sell all the air induction kits try to make it sound like its really important

·
Registered
360 Posts
There has to be room for improvement on this though....

I am sure someone will come up with a new air intake...To is WAY to restrictive!

Adam

·
Registered
282 Posts
I put a cold induction system on my silverado pickup and it helped a bunch and it was not as restrictive as this. When after market comes out for this it will really help.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, we put one on my sons F150 (V6), and it made a difference. But so did the Flowmaster muffler.

[quote This is the bottom. Notice the big tube entering to the right of the box. That goes out and down about 8" into a protected well that you see behind the box. It looks like a big horn pointing down. I tried to get a picture, but the opening was too small. The only direct airflow is up from the bottom.[/color]
[/quote]

Might be interesting to run a tube from the "big horn" mentioned above and have it exit parallel to the road, so you could get a ram effect. Can't really tell how free flowing that air filter is, but its big enough that I would think enough air could get through. It looks like a fairly standard size, so I am guessing it wouldn't be that hard to slap an after market one in there if you wanted to.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sandman, as far as your "star" screws go, those are TORX heads and they have sockets made just for that kind. Just a little FYI...if you go jamming your hex driver into them you're eventually gonna round out your screws. They're pretty common screw heads and just another variation!

I used to have a K&N RAM intake on my '98 Grand Cherokee and I noticed a HUGE difference in performance and a slight increase in fuel consumption too. I would definitely buy one for my Acadia if one were to ever come out....anything to help 'Katie' breathe better!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I did the recommended "swiss cheese" mod on my old explorer airbox. That was one mod that actually did improve performance. It was pretty much a wheezer after 3000rpms until the mod.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
My guess without really seeing the airbox in person is that the air is directed to the bottom so any incoming water is not sucked into the manifold.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A friend of mine changed his f150 to ram air thew out the stock box and now he wished he never threw it out because it dropped his gas mileage by 4 mpg. Now he is tring to find another one to go back to stock. I don't see the reason for changing that on a car like this but a G8 is another thing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A friend of mine changed his f150 to ram air thew out the stock box and now he wished he never threw it out because it dropped his gas mileage by 4 mpg. Now he is tring to find another one to go back to stock. I don't see the reason for changing that on a car like this but a G8 is another thing.
In almost every case... factory intake and exhause are very restrictive.. this is normally done to lessen engine/exhaust noises to be more pleasant to the driver's ear.

If you remove these restrictions the engine will breath easier.. and WILL increase fuel milage if driven in a tame manner... but this easier breathing will also increase performance.. which can induce a case of lead foot. This is where the milage decrease came from I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
kbacon said:
In almost every case... factory intake and exhause are very restrictive.. this is normally done to lessen engine/exhause noises to be more pleasant to the driver's ear.

If you remove these restrictions the engine will breath easier.. and WILL increase fuel milage if driven in a tame manner... but this easier breathing will also increase performance.. which can induce a case of lead foot. This is where the milage decrease came from I'm sure.
:ditto: :ditto: is my experience too! Only have the CAI kit for the stang and increase MPG is average +2. The underdrive pulley get's me another .5 mpg I figure.
The CAI mods make the engine roar a little more giving one the feeling the auto is faster too, which is not the case. Just better mpg.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The exhausts on the Acadia seem restrictive to me particularly where they crimp the pipes for the Y at the back. If I don't go all out on an exhaust sytem at the very least I may cut a true free flowing mandrel bent Y to fit. That looks to me to be the squeeze point of the system. The rest of it didn't seem that bad for a single split to 2.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya, I agree with you. I just couldn't figure out an easy way to do it when I added my mufflers. All three mufflers were pretty packed. I was kinda of surprised when I changed out the big one that the two smaller ones were still so quiet (to my ears). Thats why I recommended to change the back ones first (to good stainless steel magflows). The big front one you can play around with if the car is still to quiet for you cause people like flowmaster make them with different sound levels.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like that, flowmonsters, But they do come in about 7 different styles or ranges so you can dial them back. I had one in my AeroStar that was just about right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
[quote If you remove these restrictions the engine will breath easier.. and WILL increase fuel milage if driven in a tame manner... but this easier breathing will also increase performance.. which can induce a case of lead foot. This is where the milage decrease came from I'm sure.
[/quote]

I guess I am VERY sceptical. Don't you think if they could put 26mpg on the sticker just by putting in a life time air filter they would do it. More air= more gas mixture= more hp and fewer gph.

·
Registered
100 Posts
missindavey...

That is true to a point... but would you have bought the vehicle if it made all kinds of "obnoxious" noises but got a few more MPGs? It's all about trade offs.

The Acadia could also get better gas milage w/ smaller rims due to less rotational mass.. but smaller rims/tires would require smaller brakes for clearance.. but due to the weight of the vehicle... we can't use smaller brakes.

I used to have a Eagle Talon AWD w/ 2.0 4cyl turbo... that was very highly modified but driven on a daily basis... I had fuel computers on it that I could adjust so that it would get 30mpg... or I could adjust it so that I got 3mpg... depending on how much hp I wanted to make. I could set it up so that it would make 550+hp and run [email protected] in the 1/4 mile (actually faster... but best run I have a slip for)... which is faster than almost any factory car on the road V8, V10, or otherwise. Oh yeah.. 30mpg was more than it got from the factory... but what do I know. ;D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll contact some people or I might go ahead and designa cai and CAB. They really arent hard to make being just a stage 3. I'll look into it and see what I can do.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Keep us posted as to what you come up with, I know the new air intake horn, x pipe & Borla exhaust on my Mustang helps wake it up, but I think the supercharger might have helped too. :thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts