GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is a "bug" or a "feature", but here's the scenario...

Arrived at home. Left key in car with engine running and radio on. Got out of car. Opened passenger door, reached over and turned off the engine and removed the key. Engine turned off but radio was still on. Closed passenger door and radio stayed on. Radio turned off when I opened the driver's door.

Anyone else experience this? How long do we think that the radio would have stayed on?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
That is how it works. When you turn the car off and pull the key out and open drivers door the radio will turn off... If you did not turn it off and remove the key when exiting from the drivers door, and turn it off like you did by coming in the passenger side then the radio will stay on for 10 minutes or until you open the drivers door.
That is the way it is suppose to work. No bug at all.

On a side note, anyone else notice that when you use this feature.... Turning the car off and remaining in the vehicle, it does not seem that all speakers are working especially the subwoofer... I assume this is a battery saver feature.

·
Registered
635 Posts
bonk1313 said:
That is how it works. When you turn the car off and pull the key out and open drivers door the radio will turn off... If you did not turn it off and remove the key when exiting from the drivers door, and turn it off like you did by coming in the passenger side then the radio will stay on for 10 minutes or until you open the drivers door.
That is the way it is suppose to work. No bug at all.

On a side note, anyone else notice that when you use this feature.... Turning the car off and remaining in the vehicle, it does not seem that all speakers are working especially the subwoofer... I assume this is a battery saver feature.
All mine work including the subwoofer.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Never thought or heard any difference; maybe I'll conduct some clinical trials this week

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bonk1313 said:
the radio will stay on for 10 minutes or until you open the drivers door.
Interesting... How sure are you about the 10 minutes? I ask because I experienced the dead battery issue once and I have to acknowledge that it's possible that I turned the engine off from the passenger's side. If I did and the radio stayed on, I guess it's feasible that it killed the battery.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Yeah he's sure; the car sets a 10 minute timer so as not to drain the battery

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I've never tested ours, it was 20 minutes on my '97 Trans Am (first car I owned with Retained Accessory Power). My new Dodge has the same feature.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I forget to mention. You can also close or open your windows or sunroof during that 10 minute time also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my wifes acadia does something a little different, on my 01' suburban I am use to the radio staying on but as soon as I open ANY door everything shuts off. The Acadia, lately, if the key is removed and any door is opened the radio will stay on until the driver door is opened and closed twice before the radio will shut off. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
paoylin1 said:
my wifes acadia does something a little different, on my 01' suburban I am use to the radio staying on but as soon as I open ANY door everything shuts off. The Acadia, lately, if the key is removed and any door is opened the radio will stay on until the driver door is opened and closed twice before the radio will shut off. Any ideas?
you literally have to open and close the driver door 2 times untill it turns off?
I only have to pull the drivers handle and it turns off.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yes, the 10 mins is confirmed because if ANYTHING is left on in the vehicle (lights, etc or even a door open) the battery rundown protection will shut it all off after 10 mins to save the battery (that is unless something is AMISS in the battery rundown protection system obviously). When I take my daughter to dance practice and sit in the car, I have to turn the key back on every 10 mins to get the radio to come back on, so that confirms it.

On a slightly different note. I have noticed that a few time the radio has come on when I used the remote start. This has never happened on the Enclave and has only happened on the Acadia a half-dozen times, but I wonder if it is a sign of "gremlins" to come? I hope not.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quick question on this subject....does everyones shut down with either Drivers or passengers doors opening or just the drivers. Reason I ask is after have some work done it seamed like the this featurestarted reacting to both front doors. I could have sworn that ONLY the drivers door shut thing off.....Feedback?

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
TunedUp said:
Quick question on this subject....does everyones shut down with either Drivers or passengers doors opening or just the drivers. Reason I ask is after have some work done it seamed like the this featurestarted reacting to both front doors. I could have sworn that ONLY the drivers door shut thing off.....Feedback?
Just the driver's door.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have abnormal problem,
sometimes radio stayed on , after open the door
that is done many times with diffrent periods..

·
Registered
350 Posts
paoylin1 said:

That must be the Dual Radio Protection Option. The option code for that is OCD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
andyw715 said:
That must be the Dual Radio Protection Option. The option code for that is OCD.
I have the same problem occuring recently on my '09 Acadia SLE, I would have to open and close the door a couple of times before the radio would turn it self off, I suspect some door sensor is not working correctly. Any idea where is this door sensor? BTW, what is the "dual radio protection option" mentioned in the previous post?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
pablochang said:
I have the same problem occuring recently on my '09 Acadia SLE, I would have to open and close the door a couple of times before the radio would turn it self off, I suspect some door sensor is not working correctly. Any idea where is this door sensor? BTW, what is the "dual radio protection option" mentioned in the previous post?
I'm not sure where the door sensor is, but you can disregard the dual radio protection option and option code OCD; no such thing exists

EDIT: According to http://www.gm-trucks.com/rpo-code-lookup/; RPO code OCD brings back this response

OCD LOCAL GM OF EUROPE OCD

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
andy was joking... option code OCD- Obsessive Compulsive disorder...

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
rbarrios said:
andy was joking... option code OCD- Obsessive Compulsive disorder...
I got that; "had to close the driver's door twice" drove him to use OCD; I just thought it was funny that an actual RPO code exists for OCD ;D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts