GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I leased my Acadia on 2/28 at like 8:55 PM and the dealership was closing at 9:00 PM. I did not want to miss out on the February incentives.

The things I wanted most were remote start, to see the outside temperature on some sort of display, and XM. We only have a one car garage and my wife gets it in the winter since she takes our son to school in the morning.

At the time the dealer did not have a FWD with XM but the car had the other two features I wanted and my wife loved the color brown so we took it. I figured at the time I could always add XM at Best Buy or something like that. So I leased an SLE with the basic single CD / radio.

A couple of days later I was messing around with radio and pressed the button labled "CAT", the display then showed "XM Feature". I thought that was strange since i did not have XM.

Today I was back at the dealership getting my transmission re-flashed and recalibrated. While I was waiitng I walked their lot and I saw two or three Acadia's with what looked like the exact same radio I have and on the factory sticker said they were equipped with XM for $199.

My question is I want XM and I don't want to deal with FM modulators to get the sound. Does anyone know how hard it would be to upgrade the radio in my car to a GM one with XM? I suspect the radio I have is "XM ready" since it looks just like the other XM radios.

Do they simply have to plug a reciever in somewhere under the hood or behind the radio and I will have XM?

Does anyone know if I have any options? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well unfortunately at least for quite a while you will not be able to add the XM module to your Factory Radio, they are on restriction and can only be ordered to replace a bad or unfuntional XM module. This has been the case for about a year now, and I don't see anything changing in the near future.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I'm not crazy it can be upgraded by adding a "module"

Boltbacker said:
Well unfortunately at least for quite a while you will not be able to add the XM module to your Factory Radio, they are on restriction and can only be ordered to replace a bad or unfuntional XM module. This has been the case for about a year now, and I don't see anything changing in the near future.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yep all the radios are the same and just get the XM module added.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've added xm to two of my lexus and my truck. I really like the skyfi 2 since you can pause and rewind up to 30 minutes of programming! Your obviously a football fan so I'd go with Serius since they have the NFL package. They also have recievers that pause/rewind and also alert you to when your team's playing! Just mount the antenna and reciever. Hide all your cords and get a 2.5mm I think double male jack. Plug it into the auxillary jack and your good to go. if you have any questions contact me.... I have done a lot of these with very good results! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
It is my understanding from Saturn is that there will be a kit available in June for the Outlook.

I would think that GMC would do the same for the Acadia...

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm not positive how, but am sure there is a plug in reciver box that will plug in. I would ask the dealer.

I have went almost 4 years with add on XM Commander units in my cars. What a joy ;D to finally have FACTORY XM installed that I can change channels with steering controls etc.

Granted I will miss that the factory XM lacks some of the features of the add on's. Like Artist / Tuneselect, scrolling stocks & sports scores, rewind etc.

If you thought about an add on I would suggest one of these puppys.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
I did some checking around and maybe found some options.

First I would check the dealer options.

If that didn't work out this may:
This XM Direct XM-GM3 [/color] features advanced technology that seamlessly integrates XM Satellite Radio functions into the factory radio with an option to add your iPod as well.

The XM-GM3 gives you access to all that XM Satellite Radio has to offer. You can also integrate iPod music by adding the optional iPod interface cable to this setup. Through this connection, you'll experience the best of both worlds: your iPod music collection and XM Satellite Radio.

Once properly installed, there will be no other devices on your dashboard for a finished, factory installed look and feel. You will be able to change channels, adjust volume, and set up presets with your existing LAN GM factory radio.[/color]Includes charging capability
Installation is recommended by your local GM Dealer. Picture instructions booklet is included.
Includes Hideaway XM Receiver, Magnetic-Mount XM Antenna
For use with satellite-ready GM LAN radios in conjunction with included XM-approved XM Direct Smart Adapter
Smallest Satellite Radio demodulator in the industry
Completely concealed hardware provides seamless integration into vehicle
Utilizes the discrete XM Micro-antenna
Specifically designed for quick professional installations
Required basic monthly subscription sold separately
Premium channel available for additional monthly fee; other fees and taxes, including a one-time activation fee may apply; all fees and programming subject to change (Subscription fee is consumer only)
Reception of the XM signal may vary depending on location
Subscriptions subject to Customer Agreement included with the XM Welcome Kit and available at xmradio.com
Only available in the 48 contiguous United States
Once Kit is installed push CAT button to go through settings twice (AM > FM > XM > AM > FM > XM). First XM is for iPod and second is for XM radio.

Compatible with:

Avalanche
Buick Lucerne (LCD Only)
GMC Acadia [/color]
Impala
Monte Carlo
Suburban
Tahoe
Torrent '07 (Torrent '06 = GM Equinox Kit)
Yukon
Yukon XL
Saturn Ion
Saturn Aura
Saturn Outlook [/color]
Sierra '07 (w/ new body style)

Note: For iPod capability, the XM-GM3 requires the use of an iPod Interface Cable. LAN Radios MUST have a CAT button. This unit will work ONLY if there are dashes "-" on the presets. It will not work if there are numbers. Occasionally, the XM tuner is susceptible to engine noise and we STRONGLY recommend using the NF5.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Racefla said:
I'm not positive how, but am sure there is a plug in reciver box that will plug in. I would ask the dealer.

I have went almost 4 years with add on XM Commander units in my cars. What a joy ;D to finally have FACTORY XM installed that I can change channels with steering controls etc.

Granted I will miss that the factory XM lacks some of the features of the add on's. Like Artist / Tuneselect, scrolling stocks & sports scores, rewind etc.

Thanks for the advice. Mine is a lease and I dont want to spend $250.00 plus labor to have something installed in the car that I will have no use for once I turn it in. I would much rather get something I can use once the car is turned in or in the house. I have been using my ipod shuffle with aux jack and that seams to be ok solution.

I hate anything that is based on FM modulation. So the aux jack works great for me.

Do you own that ino pictured in your post? If so have you used it in a car. Do you need a an extra antenna? Or will the ino's antenna work fine in the car by it's self?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Dawgdaes said:
Racefla said:

Thanks for the advice. Mine is a lease and I dont want to spend $250.00 plus labor to have something installed in the car that I will have no use for once I turn it in. I would much rather get something I can use once the car is turned in or in the house. I have been using my ipod shuffle with aux jack and that seams to be ok solution.

I hate anything that is based on FM modulation. So the aux jack works great for me.

Do you own that ino pictured in your post? If so have you used it in a car. Do you need a an extra antenna? Or will the ino's antenna work fine in the car by it's self?
Yes that's my Inno in my hand. The wife has one too.
I have not tried using the Aux jack yet but will be buying a cable for it, but I do have an early V1.05 Inno that still has the FM modulator, and that works good. The newer units have the F/M disabled so the car kit or Aux cable would be needed (Thanks NAB-FCC)

The Belkin antenna headphone is a great addition and boosts reception in hard to get areas. I have thrown tha antenna headphones on the dash and got good reception as long as they could "see" the sats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts