GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone has ever had this happen. The radio was playing, and i glanced down and the screen was blank. So i hit the power button and the radio stopped and would not turn back on. I re-started the vehicle and everything was normal. Hope this isn't the start of something...

·
Registered
812 Posts
:eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've started having the same problem of sorts. When I start the vehicle, I sometimes notice the Nav screen is blank (NO clock, etc) and the radio is not playing. Pushing all of the buttons doesn't do anything. If I stop the car and restart it will function as it should. I'll wait until next service but I'm afraid it's going to be one of those.... "Sorry, but we can get it to do that."

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've had this happen both at start-up and while driving. I've taken it to the dealer and--of course--they can't duplicate the problem. :help: Fortunately, it doesn't happen often--maybe once every other month or so.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'm glad there are not more posts in this thread. This happened to us today. We had been driving with no nav/radio issues listening to sat radio first and then FM. Stopped at the bank w/ Mrs. Blue inside the Acadia & radio on (FM band). When I came out, the camera worked as normal but then blank screen (still had radio audio). Tried changing bands and to the nav display w/ no effect. Tried turning radio off & then back on a few seconds later, no effect. Stopped in another parking lot, shut the motor off, opened the driver door (killed retained accessory power), and restarted. Back to regular functionality.

I can understand the frustration voiced by some of our members here. Our Acadia is about 10 months old w/ 17K miles on it. This stuff can be made to work better than it does and more reliably than it does. By saying this I'm comparing it to the MyGig nav radio in my 2009 Dodge, which does everything the GM unit does but also includes a 30G storage disk, an ipod interface, and voice navigation (with voice training ;)) that works 100% of the time.

EDIT
I left out that the MyGig also has a USB port. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I'm glad there are not more posts in this thread. This happened to us today. We had been driving with no nav/radio issues listening to sat radio first and then FM. Stopped at the bank w/ Mrs. Blue inside the Acadia & radio on (FM band). When I came out, the camera worked as normal but then blank screen (still had radio audio). Tried changing bands and to the nav display w/ no effect. Tried turning radio off & then back on a few seconds later, no effect. Stopped in another parking lot, shut the motor off, opened the driver door (killed retained accessory power), and restarted. Back to regular functionality.

I can understand the frustration voiced by some of our members here. Our Acadia is about 10 months old w/ 17K miles on it. This stuff can be made to work better than it does and more reliably than it does. By saying this I'm comparing it to the MyGig nav radio in my 2009 Dodge, which does everything the GM unit does but also includes a 30G storage disk, an ipod interface, and voice navigation (with voice training ;)) that works 100% of the time.
For what it's worth - I've got two Chargers and the MyGig units in both of them have been replaced. Far worse problems than blacking out once every month or two.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the Nav unit replaced in my 2007 twice. First time... was a disc read error that would pop up randomly on the NAV disc. They replaced the unit at that time, I maybe had 7000 miles on the car. The second time, it was doing exactly what you are describing where the screen would blank out and you would have to restart the car and it would work fine. They were going to replace the radio, called it an "internal error", but I ended up getting GM to replace the Acadia due to the other issues I was having so I never had the new radio put in.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Timmer said:
For what it's worth - I've got two Chargers and the MyGig units in both of them have been replaced. Far worse problems than blacking out once every month or two.
Wow that's bad news... I know they pack a lot of technology into a small space and then make it work under less than ideal conditions (mobile). Just goes to show all makers have problems. Statistically, your Acadia nav unit ought to be 100%. :) I've done an update (myself) when I installed the lockpick & again when Dodge released new firmware- they had some type of recall on this. I downloaded it, burned it to a CD, and installed it w/ no problem at all.

BTW, ever thought about changing your screen name to Mr_Mopar or something similar? :D I also feel it is my obligation to inform you that any new members here with Vipers or Corvettes (SRT and R/T Chargers are OK also) are required to post pics of their vehicles in the off-topic section. :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had my 2007 at the dealer for some other warranty work and mentioned this had happened to my wife a couple of times. When I went back to pick it up a couple days later he said there was a bulletin explaining that exact thing and they had to reprogram my Nav or something like that. It's worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:

Replace the factory NAV unit after the warranty expires with an aftermarket NAV unit or possibly slave in a Dodge NAV unit from a wrecked Challenger

·
Registered
4 Posts
This happened to me intermittently on my 2008. I just recently mentioned it to the dealer for the first time and while they couldn't replicate it, ordered and installed a new unit for me. Have had the new unit for about a week and so far no issues. FYI - new unit does not come with a new nav disc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts