GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a 2008 Acadia last Wednesday evening. They told us there was a disc stuck in the CD/DVD player. When we got it home, and he couldn't get it to eject, my husband immediately used long tweezers to pull the disc out. Then the screen kept flashing disc error and would not accept a disc at all. The next day the car wouldn't start, battery was completely dead. Once we jumped it it charged right up, thought maybe we had left a light on or something. Next day, same thing, dead. Battery was tested, it was fine, the alternator was fine. Hubby was pretty sure it was the instrument panel, because the little display for the odometer and such comes and goes (they also told us this). We also thought we probably got sold a major lemon. I kept coming back to the radio/cd player. So last night he pulled the radio fuse to check that first, and lo and behold the car starts right up today. So he's looking at replacement radios, but is there anything we can try before resorting to that? Some sort of reset? He's a mechanic, so he can do the replacement himself if needed, but I thought I'd do some research into options myself.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
We bought a 2008 Acadia last Wednesday evening. They told us there was a disc stuck in the CD/DVD player. When we got it home, and he couldn't get it to eject, my husband immediately used long tweezers to pull the disc out. Then the screen kept flashing disc error and would not accept a disc at all. The next day the car wouldn't start, battery was completely dead. Once we jumped it it charged right up, thought maybe we had left a light on or something. Next day, same thing, dead. Battery was tested, it was fine, the alternator was fine. Hubby was pretty sure it was the instrument panel, because the little display for the odometer and such comes and goes (they also told us this). We also thought we probably got sold a major lemon. I kept coming back to the radio/cd player. So last night he pulled the radio fuse to check that first, and lo and behold the car starts right up today. So he's looking at replacement radios, but is there anything we can try before resorting to that? Some sort of reset? He's a mechanic, so he can do the replacement himself if needed, but I thought I'd do some research into options myself.
Try inserting a CD you don't care about again. . . and then try ejecting it. Otherwise, Leave the CD in till you have a new radio. Likely, the player is trying to sense the CD that was yanked out and now causing a drain.

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
dont forget. any 'factory' replacement radio- requires that the vehicle have the radio relearned.
Its an anti theft feature. The radio needs the vehicles VIN added to it.(or something like that).
There are places that you can send your radio- and theyll try to repair it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Taking the cd by force probably broke the cd detection sensor. You can take the radio out and open it, if your husband is familiar with electronics is easy. You can just simply open the sensor and it will never sense another cd - minor issue but radio will work again.
Do not buy a replacement radio as it is too expensive and you have to code it with the dealer.

just replace it… i just updated a post here with detailed info on how to replace that outdated radio with apple carplay and android auto support… ping me if you need help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, my husband did order an unlocked radio, the radio works, CD works, dvd and navigation do not. Are there any troubleshooting ideas we can try before losing 20% restocking fee to return it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts