GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the basic oem unit go into anti-theft mode if You remove power from it?

does this take a trip to the dealer to get "reset" ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
It shouldn't.  The radio unit has the vehicle VIN# encoded in it so that it will not work with a different vehicle.  Removing power should not affect it.

Our Odyssey required a code be entered via the station presets if it lost power but GMs radios aren't like this.

·
Registered
423 Posts
if it does get theft locked, im not sure there is much the dealer can do. or at least that is what i thought i read in an earlier post. i think the dealer could do something, but they might not want to. what if you got a radio from a junked vehicle? that is legit, not stolen.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I believe the dealer can reprogram a new/replacement radio with the appropriate VIN#. If you picked one up at a salvage yard I would guess that a receipt would be helpful in getting the dealer to reprogram it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just going to disconnect the battery for a few moments for amp pos. lead power connection and a 2ndary ground to frame/chassis.......as recomended by afew diffeent amp sites. ???
I always thought a ground was a ground was a ground in DC volts........

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
In an old Chevy Pickup I used to have the shop at my dealer forgot to reset the radio after a repair. The service manager sat in the truck and pressed the 1 2 3 and 4 preset buttons at the same time on the radio for a few seconds and it unlocked. Not sure if that is the same trick on newer radios, but call your dealership and I'm sure they'll help out.

EDIT: a quick Google found this:

Now you don't have to wait for a tech to respond, here is the 800 number, a dealer code and everything!

Taken from:
http://autoforumz.com/Pontiac-Help-u...pict40505.html

GM DELCO THEFTLOCK RADIO UNLOCK CODE:
1. Press and hold presets 2 and 3 for about 5 to 10 seconds until you
get 3 digits on your display. This is the first 3 of 6 digits you will
need, so write 'em down.
2. After doing step one and writing down the code, immediately press
the
AM/FM button to get the last 3 of the 6 numbers you'll need, and write
'em down. (if you wait too long between steps 1 and 2 and the LOC code
displays again, just start over).
3. Call this number, it's a prerecorded message, so don't worry about
having to talk to anyone...1-800-537-5140. The voice will ask if
you're
calling for Chevy, Pontiac, Cadillac, etc... When you here him tell
you
to press "2" for Pontiac, press 206010 and hit the # key. He'll ask
you
for the 6 digit code that you've written down. Enter that and press
the
* key. He will then give you a code, and the option to get additional
digit codes, but one should be sufficient.
4. Follow the normal procedure in your owners manual for unlocking the
radio with your new code...press the hour set button on your radio
until
you get the first two numbers of the code, then press the minute set
button until you've entered the last two numbers. Immediately press
the
AM/FM button once the correct code is entered and the code SEC or
"secured" will be displayed on the display screen. Now, just turn the
radio on, and your ready to roll.
There is an additional step you can take to remove all codes from the
radio and start from scratch by entering your own personalized 4 digit
code so that it won't get you in a pickle again! Just repeat step 4
and
you should get a display screen that reads ---. This means the code is
out, and you can now program your own code. Of course, once you
receive
the 4 digit code from the GM recorded message, just keep it in a safe
place, because you can use that same code again and again should you
have any more problems with it in the future. Good luck, and yes, it
does work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a nav radio in my '08 Sierra as well as the '07 Acadia, and both have been unplugged at times. As an earlier post indicated, the radios learn a portion of the vehicle's vin, and as long as they recognize the correct vehicle when they're powered up, everybody's happy.

I'm pretty confident the DIYS procedure will only work on an '06 or earlier radio...

·
Registered
4 Posts
What if you update your radio. We bought a 2010 Acadia and it didn't have Nav, so the dealer installed Nav for us. They left the original CD/radio head unit (never used) in the back of the vehicle. Can we sell this? If so, how would the purchaser be able to use it?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
On my previos Impala, there was a sticker with the code attatched to it to unlock the radio. When demoing the vehicle at delivery, she stapled it to my paperwork to save for later use. My Acadia was a demo and I don't have a sticker.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
docuw said:
What if you update your radio. We bought a 2010 Acadia and it didn't have Nav, so the dealer installed Nav for us. They left the original CD/radio head unit (never used) in the back of the vehicle. Can we sell this? If so, how would the purchaser be able to use it?
Do you have an XM subscription? I'm thinking the original radio will only fit another Acadia or possibly another Lambda. If you had XM and still want to keep it; you will need to transfer the service to the new radio since your subscription is tagged to the radio

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
docuw said:
Your radio has the vehicle VIN# programmed in it. This VIN sequence is compared to one received from the vehicle and if the two match, the radio operates normally. If the VIN#s don't match, the radio has limited functionality. Whoever purchases your old radio will need to have his VIN# programmed into the radio. This can be done by a dealer's service department, however, some dealers may hesitate to do this thinking that the unit may be stolen. Whoever buys the radio needs to be aware of this. A bill of sale may be good enough proof of a legitimate sale, it all depends on whoever reprograms the radio and what they are comfortable with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts