GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I hope this will be helpful for those that are looking for ways to install a radar detector. Of course there are more ways than one to install a radar detector. Here is how I installed mine.

1. First, stop by your local Radio Shack store and pick up one of these things that they use to hold a microphone.
2. Order an Invisicord, I got the 12" inch version.
3. Super glue this holder to the top of the radar detector's clip.
4. As for the rest of the installation process, follow these pictures. :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: How To: Install A Radar Detector

With the use of the invisicord the radar turns off with the radio. I used those velcro strips to secure the invisicord to part of that cable. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts

Outstanding presentation. :thumb:

What pin slots did you tap into for power? I see the picture but cannot tell which slots.
Thanks.

·
Registered
730 Posts

Great! :thumb:

Yeah, which pin did you get power?

·
Registered
234 Posts

That's friggin' ingenious...why didn't I think of that!

Thank you for the excellent photos and yes...what pins did you use for the connection!

·
Registered
56 Posts

This is just what I need. I hate having the cord for the detector hanging down. In my Grand Prix I had the outlet above where the mirror is so I never had to worry about this. I guess there is another project for the hubby's TO-DO list. Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Sorry, I forgot about that little but important piece of information.

Here is the info from Invisicord's website:

"The 2008 Enclave wasn't listed but was similar to other GM. My mirror has On Star/dimming and compass. The middle wire, (4th from left) on the bottom row is black with a yellow stripe and is switched 12V. The black wire on the top row is ground. I assume this will apply to GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook vehicles as well."

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Oh and another thing... If you're going to go with the microphone holder like I did to mount your radar onto the rear view mirror, I also place those none slip tapes on the inside of the claps so when it's clapped to the rear of the mirror, it would not slip and slide. You can find these not slipping tapes just about anywhere with an automotive section. These tapes are used to tape to the back side of Ipod or cell phones or any little accessories so u can place them on your dash and it would not slip off.

Let me know if anyone have any questions.

·
Registered
484 Posts

SpoiledK said:
Sorry, I forgot about that little but important piece of information.

Here is the info from Invisicord's website:

"The 2008 Enclave wasn't listed but was similar to other GM. My mirror has On Star/dimming and compass. The middle wire, (4th from left) on the bottom row is black with a yellow stripe and is switched 12V. The black wire on the top row is ground. I assume this will apply to GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook vehicles as well."
I hooked ours up to the power the same way in the back of the mirror, I didn't run out to see what position I place the power wire just now, but what happens is the detector comes on with when the key is turned on, but when you put the vehicle into reverse it turns off, go into drive and it turns on. I guess I need to move the power wire. ;D

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

SpoiledK said:
Oh and another thing... If you're going to go with the microphone holder like I did to mount your radar onto the rear view mirror, I also place those none slip tapes on the inside of the claps so when it's clapped to the rear of the mirror, it would not slip and slide. You can find these not slipping tapes just about anywhere with an automotive section. These tapes are used to tape to the back side of Ipod or cell phones or any little accessories so u can place them on your dash and it would not slip off.

Let me know if anyone have any questions.
Neat Set-up. Where did you buy the microphone holder? Radio Shack? I have to study it a little further as would want to have quick disconnect for the detector body itself. I do not want it visible when parked at the Mall or when parked outside any where. I always tuck my Beltronics Pro RX65 under the seat, cord and all.
Thank you for the great insight!

·
Registered
812 Posts

one of the best mod! very neat and no more wires!!! :notworthy:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
263 Posts

What on earth would you need one of those for???? Nobody around here breaks the law..... ;) I totally understood the whole installation process. Loved the pictures. Thanks for teaching me, yet, another thing to do. Man I love this site. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

After reading more on www.radarbusters.com regarding mounting, mine will stay very low on the windshield on both vehicles. I had forgotten why it was important to mount low on the windshield. Karols....I break the law ONLY sometimes...........in town of coarse........ :-X :-X :-[ ::) ;D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

That is true, you would want to mount it as low as possible if you want to catch lasers... There aren't many laser around where I am... Having a radar alert you of laser is like having someone telling you ahead of time to pull over cause you're getting a ticket... So, I'm not too worry about that I'm more concern about the other bands that if caught early enough could save you... To catch these, mounting higher is better...

By the way, V1 is one of the best at detecting laser... As high as it is right now, I still occasionally get laser warning coming from cars like the Infinities with their laser cruise controls...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

The higher up the detector is mounted, the more tinted your windshield becomes and could be metalized deteriorating the performance of your detector. Coarse any detector under $300.00 isn't worth much in reaction time from what test results show anyway. I also have license plate laser shields on both cars and they WORK. Laser is only effective up to 500ft or 166 yards according to articles. With the amount of reflective chrome and chrome headlight inserts on the Acadia, there is also a product called Veil Anti Laser Stealth coating that gets high marks. When we travel this summer, I will be upgrading the lic plate shields for $40.00 and buy the can of Veil for $90.00 for the Acadia. For speeders in general, you need all the protection you can get and WORK.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Hum... I'm not sure I understand what you meant by the higher, the more tinted the windshield becomes... My window looks pretty clear and the only tinted part on the Acadia front window is the part behind the review mirror, but as you can see in one of my pictures that tinted part is still way above the radar... I know that the prime place to place a radar is around might point on the windshield and to have a clear line of sight to the rear for rear detections... My radar is sitting slightly above the half way mark on the front window with a clear line of sight to the rear...

Placing the radar behind that tinted part of the window would definitely hurt detection, and wouldn't placing it so low on the dash that the wiper blades or the hood or the even dash hurt it also..? especially to the rear..?

You sound like hard core enthusiast, I'm just not much of a speedster...

·
Registered
21 Posts

I love the fact of just tapping into the rearview mirror power. I will definitely use that :) :cheers:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

I'm not a radar detector user, but I am VERY impressed with this installation!! It's very professional!! :clap:

1 - 20 of 113 Posts