GMC Acadia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acadia is priced relatively high in its class. Loaded one gets up to mid 40's. For same price you are getting into the import category (MDX for example). So why GMC, I know it's roomier and larger. I am in the market for a crossover, thus the question. Why not CX9 from Mazda ? What other vehicles did you test and what did you not like in them ?

Thansk a lot.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The CX9 has a bench for 3 in the second row and a bench for 2 in the 3rd. That is why it is off the list. Similiar for MDX. I will need to use the 3rd row. Captains in the 2nd and a true size 3 person bench in the 3rd like a minivan is ideal for my family without going to a full size SUV.

my .02!

·
Registered
111 Posts
That is the exact reason I bought an Acadia. The captain's chairs set this crossover apart from all the rest!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
MDX and CX-9 just did not have the real cubic feet for camping gear and trips, and the overall seating package is more flexible. Although prices were similar on paper, available pricing and discounts on Acadia ended up with a bottom line considerably below comparably equiped MDX or Mazda in my area.

·
Registered
71 Posts
deanne said:
That is the exact reason I bought an Acadia. The captain's chairs set this crossover apart from all the rest!!
Mark this one up for us also. With 2 kids (one in booster, one in rear-facing car seat), the accessibility of the 3rd row with the captain's chairs without having to move car seats around sold us.... And we get the Supplier discount.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Many folks qualify for a GM supplier discount, if their companies or unions have formed a relationship with GM either as supplier/vendor or perhaps for cross promotional discounts. The Supplier price is a .5% or 1% or so over invoice price. This isn't always a big deal for many GM cars because you can get the dealers down to invoice or close to it-- but with the Acadia (and all the Lambdas right now) you cannot get many of the dealers to come down. The Supplier price does that, and it also limits the paperwork/transaction charges as well as sometimes there is additional incentive to supplier eligible folks ($500 was in place as a bonus rebate early this year). Anyone getting Supplier is also eligible for many of the other rebates, the notable exception is the conquest rebate which is not available if you go under the supplier program, however there have been dealers that would still give the supplier price/but not under the supplier program and then the conquest rebate could be given as well. (The conquest rebate, if still in place, is a $1000 rebate for folks that own non-gm cars to buy a GM car- it is not across the board on all GM cars, and I don't know if it is still thre for Acadia).

As to your initial question- we got a fairly loaded Acadia, SLT2 with DVD and HUD- the notable exception being that we did not get the NAV radio, and our list was $37.5. With the aforementioned discounts, I think our final price was just over $35k. I drove the CX-9 and didn't like how rough it was with the 20" rims on the grand touring, and we were looking at the top trim. We selected the 18" on the Acadia for the better ride as the handling is good enough especially with the ESC, we really wanted quiet and smooth, and the 18" on the Acadia blew the CX-9 out of the water for that.

Secondly, room- the Acadia seems to dwarf the CX-9 for overall storage, for the 2nd row legroom, and for the area around the driver and passenger. The CX-9 felt roomy in a bad way to me, I felt like I was a long way away from the door controls and from the center console-- but my legs were a little cramped and I felt like I was up against the door (I have broad shoulders).

The MDX was out of our range, as if the Acadia stretched into the low 40s, I could have even talked my way under $39.9-- I have a perception of Acura that there was no way it would be less than $40. Not only that, we didn't like the front of the MDX. Sure we could get used to that, but the front of the GMC played no small part in why we are driving an Acadia vs the Outlook or the Enclave.

Also, we had a very bad Honda experience and had to dump an Accord well before we should have had to because of a nagging transmission problem that was going to get costly on a car that had only $39k miles. The car went into the Honda dealer 3 times for the transmission and 3-4 times to fix the gas guage and so we have a thing against Hondas right now -- personally my experience with Domestics (Ford and Jeep and now this GM) has been so good that it has reinforced what I think is a legacy bias about import quality being superior. What was true in the early 80s was mostly equaled out by the 90s IMO.

I will also admit to being biased toward both the domestic companies and domestic made cars- given parity or near parity in quality and price, and if I like a car, I would prefer to buy the GM or Ford-- second preference to Chrysler which is half-domestic, and third preference is a domestically made car, and then lastly an imported car from an off-shore company. I had too many friends whose parents or themselves had troubles from being out of work for the domestic car makers, or domestic steel, when I was in Ohio and Pennsylvania to feel just wonderful and great about buying an import.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I turned in a 2003 MDX, I tested all the vehicles you listed and decided on the Acadia - I liked the flexibility of getting in and out of the Acadia - I found the 3rd row of the MDX useless, very hard to get into and was not as comfortable as the Acadias - I have three children 3 and under in car seats and have to use the 3rd row for one of the seat, the only time I had all three car seats in the MDX was the day we brought the twins home from the hospital and it was extremely cramped, the Capt Chairs in the Acadia make it very easy to get our oldest into his seat in the back - I was very impressed with the MDX power and handling but I did not feel I would ever reach or drive at the limit that vehicle is capable of and the GMC had a much more refined ride, better for family travel. The Acura dealer was not even considering moving off of the sticker price, with the new redesign for 2007 - the GMC dealer was willing to negotiate, so even though sticker was in the 40K range, the MDX with similar accessories (NAV, Stereo, Sunroof) was stickered closer to 50K and no wiggle room. The Mazda was nice but not very user friendly IMO, a harder feeling interior, and the dealer I went to was not very good, I waited a long time just to speak to someone so I took them off the list.

To get a supplier discount you need to work for a company that works with GM (or like me a friend who works for GM), you need a special letter/form that has a number on it that allows the dealer to sell vehicles at a reduced price - I think mine came to $400 over invoice - I have heard of some wheelers and dealers that have haggled their was down to better deals so stick to you guns and haggle with the dealer, the SD is not always the best, but it sure was easy. :thumb:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Acadia SLT-2 FWD (I paid net $31,500). MDX close to $50,000. Mazda-Less room, inferior styling, inferior MPG (Own a 2003 POS Mazda, NEVER again!)
MDX-Kinda ugly, expensive, less MPG, High octange gas only.
No way either of these match the Acadias combo of features, price, room, styling, MPG for the price.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My wife thought the CX-9 looked like a enlarged station wagon.

I priced the MDX with many dealers, but when you factor identical features vs. the Acadia, you are at least $2k more on the MDX (~$45k vs. ~$43k)

BUT...that is 2007 MDX vs. 2008 Acadia...

When you look at the space and seating superiority of the Acadia, to me I like the GMC...even though the power and handling of the MDX is better...plus my wife liked the styling of the Acadia over the Gladiator face shield of the Acura.

My plan is to keep the GMC until they upgrade the engine, then get a new one...

·
Registered
87 Posts
1. It's 20 miles to the nearest Acura dealer here in St. Charles MO. I can get to at least 5 Buick/GMC dealers in 20 miles. Sadly, Honda dealers can't do warranty service on Acuras. That would tip the scales a little bit towards Acura.

2. Premium Fuel required..

·
Registered
681 Posts
johnway said:
I turned in a 2003 MDX, I tested all the vehicles you listed and decided on the Acadia - I liked the flexibility of getting in and out of the Acadia - I found the 3rd row of the MDX useless, very hard to get into and was not as comfortable as the Acadias - I have three children 3 and under in car seats and have to use the 3rd row for one of the seat, the only time I had all three car seats in the MDX was the day we brought the twins home from the hospital and it was extremely cramped, the Capt Chairs in the Acadia make it very easy to get our oldest into his seat in the back - I was very impressed with the MDX power and handling but I did not feel I would ever reach or drive at the limit that vehicle is capable of and the GMC had a much more refined ride, better for family travel. The Acura dealer was not even considering moving off of the sticker price, with the new redesign for 2007 - the GMC dealer was willing to negotiate, so even though sticker was in the 40K range, the MDX with similar accessories (NAV, Stereo, Sunroof) was stickered closer to 50K and no wiggle room. The Mazda was nice but not very user friendly IMO, a harder feeling interior, and the dealer I went to was not very good, I waited a long time just to speak to someone so I took them off the list.

To get a supplier discount you need to work for a company that works with GM (or like me a friend who works for GM), you need a special letter/form that has a number on it that allows the dealer to sell vehicles at a reduced price - I think mine came to $400 over invoice - I have heard of some wheelers and dealers that have haggled their was down to better deals so stick to you guns and haggle with the dealer, the SD is not always the best, but it sure was easy. :thumb:
I forgot to add the premium fuel, that was a major part of the decision - I also was not to fond of the exterior changes on the MDX - that front grill really turned me off.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just saw an MDX today and did not find the body styling attactive and it also seems smaller than the Lamdas. I saw an Outlook almost right after and though I have never seen them side by side, the lambda has a larger presence which I prefer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My husband has a Volvo XC90, which he loves. We use it on the weekends, but it's hard for the kids to get to the third seat. They are still small enough to flip over, but won't be in a couple of years. Not practical for everyday for us. So, this elimated any crossover with a bench seat right away.

We didn't want another mini van (we currently have a Sienna with Captain's Chairs), so our choices were limited. We test drove the Armada, but it was huge and a gas guzzler. I just couldn't bear to spend $80-100 at each fill-up. We discovered the Acadia at the Auto Show and were thrilled to learn it came with captain's chairs. The Acadia meets all our needs. Ours is on order. We should have it in a few weeks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We didn't like the styling, price or milage of a MDX which we briefly looked at. We did shop the CX-9 and my wife went round and round. She didn't like the styling, but we both have to admit that it's a sportier, faster ride. I liked it (alot). But not quite (close) as much as the Acadia. The styling of the Acadia was better, the comfort level for passengers was better, the gas milage was slightly better, and there was more room. The only place where the Acadia lost was sportiness/drive feel. We already have a VW passat which feels racey and decided it wasn't as important for our larger vehicle.

FunkD

·
Registered
542 Posts
FUNKD-How do you like your VW? I briefly considered it but was scared away by reports on poor quality. How is yours?

·
Registered
133 Posts
We looked at the MDX too. I think that it is a great looking vehicle, but we went with the Acadia because:

1.) Better a la carte options
2.) 2nd row captains
3.) Saw a picture where the 3rd row headrests on a MDX stuck out past the body steel, only contained by the back curved glass. Thought that was a little scary in the event of a rollover or rear end accident.
4.) Acura wouldn't budge of their MSRP. GMC did plus we have a GM Card so that was another $1000 saved.

When we bought, the CX-9 was not out yet, but Mazda is never an option for us.

·
Registered
71 Posts
pokesfan said:
deanne said:
Mark this one up for us also. With 2 kids (one in booster, one in rear-facing car seat), the accessibility of the 3rd row with the captain's chairs without having to move car seats around sold us.... And we get the Supplier discount.
Price was also an issue for us. It was going to cost us a few thousand more for a 2007 MDX (versus a 2008 Acadia) and we weren't going to get all the features we (my wife) wanted. Gas mileage was also worse whic was the icing on the cake.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.