GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I'm thrilled to find this forum - I am very interested in the Acadia (or Enclave), but my biggest impediment currently is the way the roof-mounted DVD player obscures the rear view. Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this, or could tell me if they got used to it after driving for a while.

I would rather not do a mobile player or headrest-mounted. Each time I've test driven the vehicle, though, I feel uncomfortable with the obstructed view.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
There are several topics covering this in the Audio/Video/Nav section. Here's a link to my post with pics of my (non-skylight model) DVD screen showing how it barely impedes the rear view at all. Bottom line is, you'll need to sit in one similar to what you want, adjust the seat to your driving position and see for yourself if it's acceptable.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1898.msg25148#msg25148

·
Registered
542 Posts
You will get used to it as well. It bothered me in the showroom but on the road I have never had an issue with visability. I got used to it prettyy quick. I got used to an SUV from a sports car pretty quick too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just don't look out the rear view mirror. If they aren't next to me, it really doesn't matter. :thumb:

Honestly, It does obstruct a little. I have the sunroofs and it sits lower than those without the roofs. Nevertheless, It's not really too big of a deal for me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
One of our hang ups. We went to drive one with a DVD player installed and had to drive an Outlook to find one on a lot to try. That is when we realized the sunroofs make the headliner lower, making the DVD lower, thus obstructing more of the view. We will not get sunroofs for this reason. (And a few other reasons...)

I started a thread on the topic:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1898.0

Use the search function and you will get lots of threads on the DVD system. I don't want headrest units either. I will most likely have babies in the front captains and want my rear seated bigger kiddos to be able to see easily. I have big issues with portable/mobile ones too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mama2girls, we sound like kindred spirits.

Here's what I'm wondering - and please forgive if I've just missed this, I have three kiddos tugging at me - are those of you with the no sunroof/DVD driving a vehicle you ordered - how often are they built this way?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Good question Christens, about the build combination!!! Also, glad to know I am not the only one who obsesses over these kinds of details. It is a huge deal when the rear view is so obstructed. I can drive my sister's odyssey and still see out the rear window. But an Odyssey, just for the rear view? I would rather it be obscured!

I have two girls right now. And the one thing promised to them with a new car is a "movie" in it. Crud, they are just thrilled with all the test driving we have done with A/C vents over them in the back! My kids are dying for that on since are still driving an accord I have had for 7 years.. It gets a little toasty around here.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
christens - we have an SLT1 , no sunroof, w DVD (see signature below for full list of options) that we bought off the lot. Well, technically it was a dealer trade with one across town because of color. But even the one we test drove was an SLT2 w/ DVD and no sunroof.

·
Registered
35 Posts
re: Headrest DVDs.

One things I've just learned is that if you plan to get the GM Protection Plan, that it doesn't cover dealer installed add-ons. Had I known that I would have bought the overhead DVD player. I guess I just expect bad things to happen...

·
Registered
389 Posts
I know the dealer we have been working with prefers after market systems for some reason (more $ for them?) and don't order many with DVD's at all sunroof or not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the DVD rear screen and dual sky roofs...I do notice some minor obstruction when the screen is down, and I check my rear view mirror...however, that said, it's very minimal. What bothers me worse than that is, the rear back up assist...you can't see it from your rear view mirrors (I know, you weren't meant to..it's for when you physically turn around and look out the rear). I still love my KD!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts