GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will appreciate any feedback regarding two issues with my Acadia. I had a water leak that shorted-out my electrical system and resulted in a tow. I am extremely concerned about:
- Damage to the transmission and engine mounts from towing...the wheels were locked and the vehicle was dragged out of the parking space and up the flatbed.
- Long term corrosion issues from water in the vehicle...with all of these leak issues, is anyone worried about rust showing up months/years later? The water from a sunroof leak could end-up almost anywhere.

Any advise or experience?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
You must not have had the sunroof drain recall done; this should take care of any more leaks. Hopefully there's no long term damage done. The trans should be OK as long as the vehicle wasn't drug to far. I would be more concerned with the water leak

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. My situation is somewhat unique because the sunroof was added, not a factory sunroof (big mistake). The leaks are so bad that the electrical was shorted out with less then 4K miles on the vehicle. I am absolutely sick about this. I don't even want to see the vehicle again. This represented a major purchase for my wife and I that we thought long and hard about because of the cost of the vehicle. Now excitement has turned to regret before the first oil change.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
You must have an SLE or did you buy an SLT without roofs? I guess it really doesn't matter now; I was under the impression that any new Acadia had at least one sunroof installed. Electrical problems can haunt a vehicle years after an incident. Was the roof under any kind of warranty from the place that installed it? Maybe you can recoup some of your losses through them; even an aftermarket sunroof shouldn't leak as bad as you have explained. Good luck and I wish I could be of more help; if you get any updates and don't mind posting; this forum would like to hear the rest of the story.

If you could; please state the specifics about your Acadia in your signature block; this will help us answer questions about your vehicle without asking

·
Registered
87 Posts
Since you state this sunroof was added, is the shop that did the job covering the work to fix it? They should. How long will they cover it? Did they get it fixed now? I'd talk to your insurance company to see if they can help you, as they may be able to get the company that did the work, to buy the vehicle out. If there was enough damage, I would be going after the company that did the work, unless you are happy with how they fixed the leak. Adding a sunroof has always been a very iffy thing to do for this reason alone. Good luck, and hope you can get it resolved.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
biggs4040 said:
Since you state this sunroof was added, is the shop that did the job covering the work to fix it? They should. How long will they cover it? Did they get it fixed now? I'd talk to your insurance company to see if they can help you, as they may be able to get the company that did the work, to buy the vehicle out. If there was enough damage, I would be going after the company that did the work, unless you are happy with how they fixed the leak. Adding a sunroof has always been a very iffy thing to do for this reason alone. Good luck, and hope you can get it resolved.
Good point biggs; GM installed factory sun roof's and then had to come out with a recall to help with draining. Installing an aftermarket roof is intensive, you're basically cutting a hole in an area where a lot of water has a tendency to find any little hole or crack. I wish you the best of luck

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
That sucks pioneer, sorry to hear about it.

As far as dragging the vehicle, lets just say it would not be a good idea to do this regularly. This one time, more than likely, will not have damaged anything as the powertrains now are pretty robust. When you get it back, take it for a drive on a nice quiet road. If you can, start from a dead stop and accelerate quickly, slow down, accelerate again, etc. You shouldn't hear any clunking or pops or driveline slop.

And yes, water leaks can cause all kinds of mischief down the road from rust to mold and mildew. I would definitely go back to the installer for reimbursement at least.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for the replys. This site is tremendous. I will be sure to update my signature and keep you posted. I purchased the vehicle through a broker who just called me with a plan to pursue a resolution that would satisfy us. It's a long shot, but worth the effort.

Despite the problems, I must say I really like these vehicles. I did from the moment I saw them and learned about what they offer as a family vehicle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
pioneer, you might want to look at the following web site of a company that specializes in making cars "water proof", including but not limited to Sun Roofs. The web site leakpro.com a Canadian Company. I have no experience with or connection to this company but have decided if there is a problem with my Acadia that is the place that it will be rectified. Good luck in your endeavours. (also [email protected]) :thumb:

jsims, SLT across the street has no sun roofs installed...........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, my problems were just getting started. I now have a dealer that first looked at my vehicle insisting that there was a leak that caused my problems, while the dealer repairing the vehicle (where i purchased it) is telling me "leak...what leak?". He insists there was no leak.

I know who I believe and why. However, I'm not sure what to do next. These guys really put me in a bad situation.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
biggs4040 said:
Well, my problems were just getting started. I now have a dealer that first looked at my vehicle insisting that there was a leak that caused my problems, while the dealer repairing the vehicle (where I purchased it) is telling me "leak...what leak?". He insists there was no leak.

I know who I believe and why. However, I'm not sure what to do next. These guys really put me in a bad situation.
Have you addressed this issue per what biggs posted? This appears to be the root cause of your problems. Was the sunroof installed by or at the repairing/selling dealer? If so, they may have a reason for saying what they are saying. Regardless, you need the vehicle fixed, so follow biggs' advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. It seems that the dealer is blaming GM so they can get it covered under warranty rather then try and deal with the sunroof installer. I think they are doing this because i put a lot of pressure on them about getting the vehicle replaced. I think what they are doing is illegal, though i have no idea how often it goes on.

I will take biggs advise and speak to my broker about getting my insurance company involved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2009 without a sunroof. The leak shorted out the fuse system. Had it towed. 2 months later there was water underneath passenger-side floormat. They said it was from the rubber seal outside, on the top of the roof. Repaired that....waiting for the next thing. It's a lease that's up in 2010.

Maybe next model we get will be better.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Pat Pelton said:
I have a 2009 without a sunroof. The leak shorted out the fuse system. Had it towed. 2 months later there was water underneath passenger-side floormat. They said it was from the rubber seal outside, on the top of the roof. Repaired that....waiting for the next thing. It's a lease that's up in 2010.

Maybe next model we get will be better.
What leak did you have that caused the short?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 that has been back 3 times for leaks....Leaks under the glove box, leaks under the steering wheel and leaks out out heear lights and backup indicator...twice.I love this car but I am done. GMC better come clean on this 40k disaster because i do like this U boat but this is out of handl...........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts