GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody feel or see any difference using 87 and 89 .im using 89 rt now im thinking of changing to 87 i have 575 miles on slt 1 . let me know pls thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I curently have 10,300 miles on the clock and until the the last 2 tanks ran nothing but 87. I noticed a 2mpg increase and an increase in accelertion that could be felt. I do almost all highway driving as I live in a rural area. I will continue to use 89 octane gas.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have only tried one tank of medium grade. I did not notice any difference so I reverted back to regular. I May try again in the future but the car runs great on regular so why spend the extra $$?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Unless you are towing or heavily loaded, you are better off with regular. I did an experiment a couple weeks back and used premium one direction (400 miles each way, all flat terrain) and regular coming back. Assuming some small errors with pump shutoffs, how much was left in the tank when filled, a small detour going there, etc., the mpg was virtually identical both ways (20.5 vs. 20.9). There are more details in a thread I started about two weeks ago.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree there is no advantage to using premium as the engine does not have a high enough compression ratio to take advange of premium fuel but 89 is a different story. Since I get 2 mpg using 89 octane I get better performance and saves me money. Example 320 miles @ 16MPG uses 20 gal. 20 gal @ $2.60 = $ 52.00 18 mpg for 320 miles= 17.7 gal $ 2.70x 18=$ 48.80. A savings according to my math.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Using a higher octane isn't required. If you notice a difference then great but mostly you will not. Along with the compression, the ignition timing is limited so to benefit the higher octane you would have to have your PCM reprogramed to take advantage of the higher octane.

I installed a "tuned" PCM in my 02 Silverado and it made a tremendous difference in performance and an increase in economy. Not to much but some considering the increase in performance. I need to get in touch with Wait4meperformance and see if they will be upgrading the Acadia's pcm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts