GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putco Interior LED Kit Install Information

Here are install photos and tips from my installation of the Putco Interior LED Kit for an 08 GMC Acadia.

I purchased this kit from www.xenondepot.com.

Here are the links to the kits for the Acadia and Enclave.
There are 2 different kits one is for vehicles
and one for vehicles
There are no applications available according to the PUTCO site for the Outlook or Traverse.

I installed the kit without the DVD player, and the kit includes 8 wedge base bulbs with 1 LED in each bulb for the 8 overhead lights. The kit does not include the driver and passenger foot well, or rear lift gate lights.

The instructions that came with the package, showed the proper bulbs in the photos above, but the diagrams and instructions did not pertain to the Acadia at all. The installation took me 1 hour including time to take photos and notes. I could probably do it again in 20-30 minutes. I hope that with these instructions you can do it in about 30-45 mins.

Tools needed:
Hammer
Drill
JUST KIDDING.

A small flat head screwdriver
A T10 torx head screwdriver

Prior to starting installation some may advise to disconnect the battery cables (the instructions did not say to do this), but I did not so that I could ensure the bulbs worked prior to putting the assembly back together. The bulb bases have 2 metal wire contacts, one on each side of the base, 1 short and 1 long. If the bulb is not installed with contacts facing the proper way then the light will not work. You will have to remove the bulb, turn it and reinstall.

I started with the front seat dome light with Homelink buttons. I used a small flat head screwdriver to get a small opening between the light and the headliner. Once I got my finger in, I used slight downward pressure and removed it from its 4 retaining clips holding it in place.

Once the unit is removed there is a wire harness with a green connector, push the release button (circled in photo) and detach it.

The actual light assembly has 3 Torx screws (T-10) holding it to the trim panel. Remove the 3 screws to access the bulbs (1 screw is under the green harness adapter, you can remove the green plug to access the screw if needed by releasing the locking clip underneath it with the small screwdriver and sliding it off). Removing the plug is not required.

The light assembly will look like the photo below.

I was unable to grasp the bulbs and remove them with my fingers, so I used the small flat blade screwdriver and pushed the base of the bulb from the back side of the assembly to pop them out.

Then insert the new LED bulbs. Reattach the green harness connector and push the light button to see if they work. If they don’t light up, then pop the bulb back out and turn it, then insert it. Try again… You should be good to go now. Reattach the light assembly to the trim panel with the 3 Torx screws, then push the Trim panel back into place with firm pressure to engage the metal clips.

The 2nd Row, 3rd row, and Cargo Area light assemblies are identical.
They all have 2 brass spring loaded clips, 2 retaining clips, and 4 black pieces of plastic that act as hinges holding them in place. The 2 brass spring loaded clips shown in the photo are located 2 ¼” towards the center from the outside edges of the trim. The 2nd row and Cargo area spring clips face the front of the vehicle, the 3rd row faces the rear.

Using the small screwdriver insert the tip into the void between the trim and headliner, gently pull down, you should see the 2 brass spring clips. Use the screwdriver and push inward on the clip to release it while pulling down with your hand. When the 2 spring clips are loosened, use gentle downward pressure, with slight pull in opposite direction (to pivot on the 4 pieces of plastic on the back side) of the brass clips to disengage the retaining clips in the top of the assembly.

When the light assembly is removed, you can disconnect the wire connector, to make it easier to remove screws and work on it.

Remove the 3 screws and remove and reinsert bulbs as mentioned with the front light assembly, ensure the bulbs work prior to reattaching everything. Push light assembly and trim piece back into place making sure the retaining clips on top fasten it in place.

Here are some before and after photos, I think KNOW my camera sucks with dark/night shots. The lights do not appear as bright as they really are, but you can tell the difference. I really like the Bright White with blue tint of the LED's versus the factory Yellowish color.
Overall I like the kit, and the install was very easy. The included instructions didn't really provide anything beneficial to the install but this isn't a really technical project by any means. One thing that would make this kit really incredible is if it included the other lights for the foot wells, and lift gate, that would have really made the whole package that much better.

Original lights

Front and 2nd row LED, 3rd row and Cargo Area original lights

All LED

Side by Side

EDIT:
Here are some other dark shots with a different camera. They are a little fuzzy. sorry

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Wow! Great review. I'm sure that this will help many members out that are interested/considering installing this product!

Enjoy =)

Steve

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
bonk1313 said:
Couldn't figure out what this was - jpgs weren't coming through. Now I see.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Hey Bonk,
Just got my light kit Thursday. I will install next Saturday! Thanks for the detailed info. :thumb: I will post the install also with pics. HIDS will be next.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Cool, thanks for the detail and pics. Wow, interior light assemblies sure have gotten more complicated than they used to be! I remember when we rented a Caddy DTS in the Keys a couple years ago how cool and upscale the LED interior lighting was. I don't know why more manufacturers haven't gone to them as standard. I will be getting some of these right away!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just curious, how do the LEDs work with the theater lighting/dimming effect as they are going out?
Usually LEDs don't "dim" the way regular bulbs do.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
The bulbs in this kit are made so they can dim :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
insti08 said:
The bulbs in this kit are made so they can dim :thumb:
Yeah forgot to mention that.. Nice feature, they dim just like the factory bulbs.
My next purchase I think will be to replace the floor well lighting in the driver passenger areas and the back liftgate. If I can find them. That will complete the whole appearance.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Hi Guys,

As per your posts:

1) Most LED bulbs cannot dim. These particular ones though can as the quality of the components used is significantly higher. The diodes (LEDs) themselves are made in Germany. The circuit board is made in Japan, and the actual assembly is done in Korea.

2) We carry a full line of LED replacement bulbs for almost every single other bulb in your vehicle. Please view this link:

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/LED_Premium_Lighting_Accessories_s/317.htm

If you scroll down you will see our "Automotive Lighting Finder." Simply insert your vehicle information and the lighting finder will list the products we carry for your vehicle.
Steve

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Here's another interior LED upgrade

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
:beer: Thank you bonk1313 for the thorough instructions on this great upgrade. I am a newbie here, having just acquired a 2008 after seven years in a minivan. Can't wait to put these lights in and thanks XenonDepot for the timely sale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have removed the dvd player, looked around inside the headliner and I cannot figure out how to get to the bulbs. Does anybody know how to get to the bulbs if you have the factory overhead dvd player ???

·
Registered
123 Posts
BONK1313....I used your instructions to install the Putco lights in my new Buick Enclave. I had two extra bulbs and got to looking and the fourth row of lights are not there. I guess GM has cut back and done away with that extra set of lights. The only things I did/found different. On the front panel with the buttons, I was afraid I was going to break something so I pulled on the panel next to the windshield with my fingers and it popped out. Also the brass clips were facing the rear on both of my 2nd and 3rd row lights. Anyway, thanks for the illustration, it saved a lot of time and worry. The only thing you didn't cover was the part about having to call the fire and rescue people to get an old guy with bad knees out of the third row seat ::). Also, have you found a led source for the tailgate lights, without them in place is sort of spoils the whole look?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bg1811 said:
BONK1313....I used your instructions to install the Putco lights in my new Buick Enclave. I had two extra bulbs and got to looking and the fourth row of lights are not there. I guess GM has cut back and done away with that extra set of lights. The only things I did/found different. On the front panel with the buttons, I was afraid I was going to break something so I pulled on the panel next to the windshield with my fingers and it popped out. Also the brass clips were facing the rear on both of my 2nd and 3rd row lights. Anyway, thanks for the illustration, it saved a lot of time and worry. The only thing you didn't cover was the part about having to call the fire and rescue people to get an old guy with bad knees out of the third row seat ::). Also, have you found a led source for the tailgate lights, without them in place is sort of spoils the whole look?
I have not found replacements for the liftgate yet, but have not searched that much for it to be honest with you. I will get to it eventually.

As far as the floor wells on the driver and passenger side,( Removed on 2009 and above i believe, just like the 4th row lights in the cargo area. the wires are there but I think you need to get the sockets, there is another post about this somewhere) I have landscape lighting in my yard, and tried one of the LED wedge bulbs I have for those in the floor well lighting and it worked great. They are not as bright as the Xenon Depot LED bulbs, and do not work well in the overhead lighting application, but work nicely for the floor well. They are less expensive for that exact reason.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Malibu-Landscape-outdoor-White-LED-light-bulb_W0QQitemZ230383169585QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a3e83031&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Photo from ebay link

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IN regards to the glove compartment and floor well lighting sockets on the 09's, check this link. Does not appear that the harness is there for some 09's but maybe it is and nobody has found it yet. http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=4713.40
Silverado02 said:
:thumb:
Ok, got her done tonight... guess what, wire is up in there! My prod date is 7/2008, I have the floor lights... The glove box lamp wire is located up inside above the knock out for the lamp switch. Drop the glove box and pull the two stops on the box so it drops to floor. Then pull off the rt side dash trim piece, just snaps on, then pull off the inner trim panel... this is the one tri that the lamp would snap into. You will then see a black fabrick covered wire up inside the dash, straight up above the hole where the lap will sit. You can not feel it, unless you got alien fingers, I use a hook tool and a razor knife to surgially cut tape and free the wire. once I cut the tape the wire dropped and sure enough there was the plug for the lamp in the glove box. Tested and worked perfect. Just make sure you snake wire thru trim panel before you snap together. Don't forget to take your time to line up the gears on the glove box.... How sad this is the highlight of my day installing a glove box lamp on a loaded new car.... Hope this is a help to someone!!!!
gmpartsdirec.com p/n#: 12450028
switch comes with the bulb! I guess I will have to add this to my "upgrades" :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just received my Putco kit. I have the overhead OEM Panasonic DVD player. I ordered the correct kit for the DVD and it came with large square LEDs for the middle. These square LED's are the wrong ones, at least for my 2007. I wonder if GMC changed the type of bulb that went into the middle after 2007? I would have been better off ordering the ones w/o the DVD player since this kit seems to be the one I needed in the first place.

Anyway it is a nice kit and a nice look compared to the regular bulbs. I am in the process of having the square LEDs replaced for the round LED's like the rest of the kit had. The bulb seems to be a 194 type socket/replacement. One can find these replaement bulbs at autolumination.com. (http://autolumination.com/194.htm) They have all differnent types of LEDs. It looks like you can get a similar bulb for around $10.00. You do the math, 8 bulbs= around $80 dollars. A far cry from the $170 dollar price tag that I paid for these jokers.

I am not in any way affliated with Autolumination, but I have used them several times in the past. I am just writing this to try and save someone allot of money. You are better off getting the 194 bulbs from them and save your $$$$. I have some in the footwells and glove box already from Autolumination. Them dim just like the Putco kit too.

I bought mine off Ebay so returning them and going the other way is too late for me. The Putco kit is nice and high quality, Leds are bright and look good, but I think a little to over priced, just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.