GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the new push button shifter. It’s new on the 2020 Acadia which I am currently looking into and I’m curious if anyone has driven a vehicle (any vehicle) with this function?

I know it’s probably just something new to get used to but being in NY there’s a lot of parallel parking, Squeezing into tight spots, U turns , etc. and it’s more of a constant shifting back and forth at times so I’m wondering if this will really be a pain. With the stick most of the time it’s quick actions back and forth and I can even shift quickly just before coming to a full stop - granted not the best idea but it does happen during quick maneuvers.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Back in the 1950's there were a number of Chrysler vehicles with both push button and a little toggle on the dash.

I liked none of them. In fact, on a 1955 Dodge with the toggle I managed to shift into reverse at about 15 mph. That vehicle came to a sudden stop and luckily no damage.

Seems like Acadia is trying to reinvent something that was tried and discarded.

George

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had a '19 Acura RDX before my Acadia (long story best left for a different thread) with a push button shifter and it didn't take all that long to get used to it, also had a '19 Terrain as a loaner for a couple of days also with the push button. The layout of the buttons was different between the RDX and Terrain but no problems adapting. Once you get used to it it's actually a bit faster due to less physical movement involved.

The RDX actually had a few nice features that can't be incorporated into a 'traditional' shifter like automatically shifting into park when the engine is turned off. I don't know if the '20 Acadia has that feature or not.

Keep in mind that the current Acadia shifter is just a big electronic switch attached to a lever so the actual process of changing gear is done the same way with either method. One thing I like about the push button approach is the amount of space it frees up that can be used for other purposes, the big storage bin under the center console is an example.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I'm on the fence with this. I know I wouldn't want a wonky "dial shifter" that looks like a volume control on a cheap radio.
Biggest issue is if you have more than one vehicle and then the distraction of having to look where the buttons are.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the new push button shifter. It’s new on the 2020 Acadia which I am currently looking into and I’m curious if anyone has driven a vehicle (any vehicle) with this function?

I know it’s probably just something new to get used to but being in NY there’s a lot of parallel parking, Squeezing into tight spots, U turns , etc. and it’s more of a constant shifting back and forth at times so I’m wondering if this will really be a pain. With the stick most of the time it’s quick actions back and forth and I can even shift quickly just before coming to a full stop - granted not the best idea but it does happen during quick maneuvers.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks!
If I had the need for frequent parallel parking, I would only consider a vehicle with self parking tech.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I've driven vehicles with left-hand and right-hand push buttons (MOPAR cars and IH buses). Didn't find it too difficult adapting to either of them. It's probably not the best system for "quick maneuvers" if you're running away from something, though. ;)

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
If I had the need for frequent parallel parking, I would only consider a vehicle with self parking tech.
I find the 'self-driving' tech to be the least attractive of all technology available today. That includes parking, automatic braking, and adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I find the 'self-driving' tech to be the least attractive of all technology available today. That includes parking, automatic braking, and adaptive cruise control.
I agree with you about the parking but find both auto braking and ACC to be just fine, lane keeping assist I never use because: 1) it's a lazy man's aid and promotes inattentiveness and 2) it doesn't work all that well anyhow.

Auto braking has kicked in twice for me when someone cut me off - both times my car was stopping before I had time to react, it's that fast. ACC is just really nice on highway drives, I don't ever see myself ever going back to using standard cruise control. I never use any type of cruise control in heavy traffic, to me it's more work.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I agree with you about the parking but find both auto braking and ACC to be just fine, lane keeping assist I never use because: 1) it's a lazy man's aid and promotes inattentiveness and 2) it doesn't work all that well anyhow.
All those tech functions promote inattentiveness! Caveats about them in the owner's manual are hilarious! It's going to be interesting to read posts about excessive brake wear because of ACC, auto-braking, and hill descent control. Stories about LKA's lack of effectiveness have already started. ;)

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
One more reason we are glad to have a 2019 Acadia SLT-1 without more of theses nanny systems.
Sad that now 2020 only has one SLT model (no SLT-2).

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I'm on the fence with this. I know I wouldn't want a wonky "dial shifter" that looks like a volume control on a cheap radio.
Biggest issue is if you have more than one vehicle and then the distraction of having to look where the buttons are.
You have a good point about getting used to different things on different vehicles. My wife has a Cadillac SRX. I probably drive that car as much as I drive the Acadia. It is push button start and button for parking brake. i often make the wrong motion is the wrong vehicle. I use my foot to set the brake in the SRX and there is no pedal. I try to push the button in the Acadia and there is no button.

I often think that the reason that I get the next vehicle will be to get two that are alike.

George

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know I’m partial to my 2017 but it’s more than just the push button shifter I don’t like in the 2020 version. I’m not a fan of those headlights either.

I do like the all terrain tires though on the AT4. That’s what GM should have added to the All-Terrain trim from the beginning.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Back in the 1950's there were a number of Chrysler vehicles with both push button and a little toggle on the dash.

I liked none of them. In fact, on a 1955 Dodge with the toggle I managed to shift into reverse at about 15 mph. That vehicle came to a sudden stop and luckily no damage.

Seems like Acadia is trying to reinvent something that was tried and discarded.

George
Hi George, I know what you mean with your 1955 Dodge with the toggle. I had a 1957 Mercury Montclair which had the push button on the dash. I went down the wrong street in New York City and had to put the Mercury in reverse quickly to get out of the area. The Mercury stalled and a brick was thrown through my window giving me 13 stitches in the head. I don't think I want another vehicle with the shifting on the dashboard. Best of Luck to All.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I drove a 2020 Acadia loaner for 3 weeks with the button shifts. It was very hard to get used to. Also, if you have a big tall drink in the cup holder, or anything bulky for that matter, it gets in the way. However, it was nice to just come to a stop and shut the car off which automatically put the transmission in park. I suspect the button shifters are the direction almost all cars are going but I'm not an immediate fan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts