GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone added one of the push button pads that you can enter a code and lock/unlock you doors? I'm talking about the devices that are common on Ford products. I have a special need for this device. I know there are some products on the market, but, I'm wondering if anyone has tried them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wondering about the same thing. I have have two Ford's with the push button pads (F150 and Explorer). Great feature when you are in a situation where you would prefer not to carry you keys. (Like hunt and fishing activities).

I did a google search and could only find one source, ESSEX ELECTRONICS (http://www.keyless.com/KE-1600%20Main.htm). Not sure if it can communicate with GM's computer. I will try to locate a local install shop that is familiar with this supplier and report back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is the one thing I miss from my Xterra. Nissan came out with the stick on accessory for all its vehicles; simple keypad, stick it on, put the car's keyless entry system in learning mode and under 5 minutes you got the thing working. Came in great when I went running, hiking, baseball, etc. I know that OnStar has that remote lockout service but that would require me to carry a phone or be near one. Doesn't exactly help when I don't even want to carry keys. So far I have just carried the key fob when I run, but having that thing bouncing up and down in the back pocket can get distracting when you are trying to get into a groove.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KEYPAD01

Mike

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've never had a vehicle with one of these keypad thingies. How secure are they? How many digits are in the code?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I watched that show on Discovery or something that has a former professional "thief" try breaking into people's homes to see how secure they are. He said you have no idea how many people keep their keys in their cars when they are in the garage. Garages are very easy to get in to. I have a friend who only buys Fords so he can have the key pad because he doesn't like to carry keys. I just keep thinking about how easy a car theft would be because of the key pad - not the key pad itself but the habit of leaving keys in the car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
jfencl said:
I've never had a vehicle with one of these keypad thingies. How secure are they? How many digits are in the code?
It's relatively secure, common sense dictates you hide the key or at least keep it out of view. Code length vary, but typically 4-6 digits in length, none sequential and none consecutively repeating (i.e. 12345 or 11111). It is definitly a convinience item.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts