GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone. I just bought this car a week ago yesterday. I drove it home with a check engine light, it throwing the code for Evap/purge valve. I take it in for the repair, now all of a sudden it's throwing a timing chain code. So I just got it back today, with the dealer having fixed the purge valve and timing chain.

The check engine light comes on AGAIN tonight, with the code p0430, the catalytic converter. I pulled a Carfax, and it shows that the purge valve was replaced on 7/12/15, and the catalytic converter was replaced on 12/9/15.

I JUST bought this car and have already spent a bunch of money on it, and it's barely a week old to me. The timing chain was a $2100 repair that I paid $485 for, the purge valve was $200. Now the cat converter is another $2k? I just spent $8,000 on the car a week ago.

What gives? Do I have a leg to stand on if I go back to them with this new check engine light code happening?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
351 Posts
Not much of a leg.
But... $2K for a cat? Really? Assuming that's for a genuine GMC full section?
If my car was out of warranty and my cats (mine has 2, maybe yours does also?) died, I'd check the pipes and look into a universal cat, or hit up a good exhaust shop.

·
Super Moderator
19,085 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
State laws vary in protection of the buyer in an 'as is' used car sale. Your state may have that information on their website.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I JUST bought this car and have already spent a bunch of money on it, and it's barely a week old to me. The timing chain was a $2100 repair that I paid $485 for, the purge valve was $200. Now the cat converter is another $2k? I just spent $8,000 on the car a week ago.

What gives? Do I have a leg to stand on if I go back to them with this new check engine light code happening?

Thanks in advance
Wow. .. . what a disappointment. Perhaps a longer test drive may have averted these issues.
Anyway . . yes, check online for your State used vehicle protection laws. Some are vary favorable if problems were experienced in a very short time! (y)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Are you sure that all the cats were replaced in 2015? It could have been the other bank. Most often a p0430/p0420 does not mean the cat is bad unless proven through additional diagnostics. How many miles on the car?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts