GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at purchasing a 2008 SLT2, 35k miles, DVD, Nav, Dual sun roof, GMC Certified pre-owned. Any quick things to be concerned about? Stuff you guys have run into at this mileage or soon after. Granted it has the 1 year 12k certified warranty and the 100k powertrain so hopefully I'll be protected on some stuff....

Thanks so much

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
ericsc said:
Looking at purchasing a 2008 SLT2, 35k miles, DVD, Nav, Dual sun roof, GMC Certified pre-owned. Any quick things to be concerned about? Stuff you guys have run into at this mileage or soon after. Granted it has the 1 year 12k certified warranty and the 100k powertrain so hopefully I'll be protected on some stuff....

Thanks so much
The main 2008 issue I see from reading the posts here is the sunroof. You need to see if any recall work has been done, and also check for any evidence of mold or dampness inside the vehicle. Wouldn't hurt to test-drive it during a heavy rain or a high volume car wash.

Next up would be to ensure the transmission has been flashed to the latest update.

If you can PM member GeoHawk here with the VIN, he may be able to help with some of this.

Good luck & thanks for looking at the Acadia.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
The main 2008 issue I see from reading the posts here is the sunroof[/color]. You need to see if any recall work has been done, and also check for any evidence of mold or dampness inside the vehicle. Wouldn't hurt to test-drive it during a heavy rain or a high volume car wash.

Next up would be to ensure the transmission has been flashed to the latest update.

If you can PM member GeoHawk here with the VIN, he may be able to help with some of this.

Good luck & thanks for looking at the Acadia.
apparently the earlier build 08's have more sunroof problems than the later build one's (at least that is the way it seems). Honestly I think it's hit and miss

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like the sunroof rear drain hose was replaced at 8500 miles then again at 27k miles, then drain tube extensions at 34k when it was turned in from lease
Is that normal?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I would ask more questions about possible water damage; continuous repairs may mean that there was a water leak that wasn't repaired the first time

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
If you will browse/search the forum, you'll see a mega-thread about water leaks as well as some others dealing with the sunroof issues. One case the owner took it in not leaking for the recall and it leaked afterwards.

Three of basically the same thing on a 2008 would be a red flag to me. This indicates the owner had a leak and took it back in after the first time, or a recall the first time and a leak the second time. Not sure why a third similar repair was done when it was turned in- there may have been an open recall on it, or the customer might have had said something when the lease was up. I'd try & find a 2009 or perhaps a later model 2008.

If you're set on this one, I'd have a professional look at it for any water damage to the electrical systems or mold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being that this is GMC Certified, would I be covered in case of issues?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Probably so, but why buy damaged goods and then have to put up with the hassle of going in for service? Once a vehicle has been wet to the degree described here by some (water pouring out the dome light), it is really impossible to make it like new IMO. I have a Mazda convertible that had this problem due to sitting outside. I stripped the interior, sanded & painted the floor, cleaned the seats, and put a new carpet & pad in it. I can still smell the damp smell in it after all of that.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
ericsc said:
I would let it go and find another one; shoot for an 09

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Having trouble with that, good price and has everything we want. These are hard to come by used..... and since leasing has gone to crap that's my only option. Have to stay under 30k for SLT AWD w/DVD, leather, 2nd row captains (no console)....

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
If you would post a location, perhaps someone in the area or close by can locate one. For what it's worth, the AWD is not a traditional 4WD system if you are buying it for traction purposes- the torque split is normally around 90F/10R and as I recall it will max out at 65F/35R. This would open up more vehicles to chose from.

If not, Vehix.com shows a total of 187 2008 Acadias for sale in their used car database nationwide. Autotrader would be another possibility for some candidates, as well as ebay motors.

Again, if you're set on this one, I'd have a professional look at it for any water damage to the electrical systems or mold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Updated my profile, thanks for the spanking

I'll keep that in mind while searching.....

·
Super Moderator
21,964 Posts
ericsc said:
For one, I would give a bit of 'blind trust' to a GM dealer who sells certified pre-owned GM vehicles. The dealer has a lot at stake riding on the 'certified' label - not only with the customer but also with the Mother Ship (the corporation).

:thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny you mentioned that. It would be pretty blind, dealer is across the state and we're just going by his word. But it's a friend of an co worker/exec at an auto supply manufacturer that is getting us a pretty good deal.
Offering to drive it over here, take our lease turn in and pretty much add anything on to the car to sell it to us. Only been on their lot for 1 week, one owner turn in from a lease originally purchased from them.
We have connections to raise heck if anything goes bad so I think we'll be safe there

Sorry to be wishy washy about this, been leasing everything for the past 10 years but now when a lease is more expensive than purchase.....

Thanks everyone

·
Super Moderator
21,964 Posts
Best of Driving, Eric
(Luck, too, if traffic is anything like here!)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
ericsc said:
Updated my profile, thanks for the spanking

I'll keep that in mind while searching.....
Not a spanking- admin outlawed corporal punishment here some time ago. :) The icon is beating a dead horse, which it seems like we end up doing here on occasion in an effort to help new members and/or prospective owners. For those that have been around the block, there's this guy named Vinnie from the southside... :beatdown:

Michigan (especially the Detroit area) was a target rich environment for the Dodges last year, so maybe the GM would be also? Hate to think it, but maybe there are some local deals to be had there on a 2009 with either out of work or soon to be out of work auto workers that got a good deal on a 2009 thanks to employee pricing but now are forced to sell?

If you end up with the one you're looking at or something else, let us know & post up some pictures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got it!

Updated the sig, I'll post pics in another topic area

Thanks again! I'll keep lurking and contributing!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
ericsc said:
Got it!

Keep us posted. Let us know if (when? :-\) you have any water leak problems.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
ericsc said:
Got it!

Good luck at least you know of a potential problem instead of it being a surprise

1 - 19 of 19 Posts