GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Traverse AWD, 2006 Cadillac DTS, 2006 Ram Megacab Cummins 4X4
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newbie here, longtime GM fan. But as with any OEM vehicle there will be certain issues and weak points.

Going for an AWD SLT-2, Premium or Denali...20,000 to 35,000 mile range.

What should I watch out for if anything?

Favoring the Denali simply for the HID headlights, have owned Cadillacs with the HID setup and have found them to be second to none on dark highways. Travel many miles after dark in Maine with Moose and Deer in the road, the roads belong to the Moose and they simply let us use them....

Any and all input welcome...

Mike.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If the HIDs are a major factor I'd suggest test driving a Denali after dark. Comparing them to the HIDs in my '14 SRX there's a significant difference in performance - both low beam and high. I would say the SRX lights are more focused (for lack of a better word) while those on my Denali are more diffused. Example: The high beams on the Denali will light up the tree tops while the SRX directs more light lower down the road.

Still better than the lights on lower trims.

·
Super Moderator
20,263 Posts
Lots of moose hide out in tree tops! LOL

Reactions: SpartyOn

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the HIDs are a major factor I'd suggest test driving a Denali after dark. Comparing them to the HIDs in my '14 SRX there's a significant difference in performance - both low beam and high. I would say the SRX lights are more focused (for lack of a better word) while those on my Denali are more diffused. Example: The high beams on the Denali will light up the tree tops while the SRX directs more light lower down the road.

Still better than the lights on lower trims.
Thank you for the reply. That is interesting....

The headlights in my current DTS are incredible, nothing better in snow or rain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased the wife a 2016 AWD Chevy Traverse and am very happy with it in all respects. She loves it, therefore I love it...:)

I do like the look of the GMC a little better, also noticed that 2017 has the AWD disconnect and will support Apple Carplay. That's why I'm working within the 2017-2018 model years.

·
Super Moderator
20,263 Posts
The headlights in my current DTS are incredible, nothing better in snow or rain.
If you find an Acadia you like that's equipped w/halogen headlights, consider switching the headlight bulbs to LEDs. Output of LEDs is as good as HIDs - longevity of LED bulbs is far superior. It's also easier changing from halogens to LEDs than it is making the change from HIDs to LEDs.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I have an '18 AWD SLT. Only real issue in 27k miles is a failed shifter (shift to park error), which seems to be a common failure.

A minor nit is the paint peeling on one or more of the wheels.

·
Super Moderator
20,263 Posts
Yes, and Tree Moose are extremely rough on bird feeders.....:)
Bird feeders should be built to feed one moose at a time. LOL

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
737 Posts
I have a 2018 SLT with 52k on it and the only issue I am having is the transmission hanging on to 2nd and 3rd gear a little to long sometimes. It’s going into the dealer this week for them to check over. Other than that it has been one of the best vehicles we have ever owned. Good Luck.

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
737 Posts
Almost forgot....all 4 of my wheels are peeling and I just didn’t pay attention to detail and missed my window on my B2B warranty. In true Murphys Law fashion they all start peeling to the point they are all almost bare of clear coat after 40k miles. I am in the process of having them powder coated. Make sure to pay special attention to that.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Almost forgot....all 4 of my wheels are peeling and I just didn’t pay attention to detail and missed my window on my B2B warranty. In true Murphys Law fashion they all start peeling to the point they are all almost bare of clear coat after 40k miles. I am in the process of having them powder coated. Make sure to pay special attention to that.
Smart move, I'd be powder coating mine if they had peeling issues.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am in the process of having them powder coated.
Just out of curiosity what's the cost for having them done? Also the process. Do you have to deliver 'naked' wheels (no tires/TPMS sensors, etc.) or just drop off the vehicle and they take it from there?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Just out of curiosity what's the cost for having them done? Also the process. Do you have to deliver 'naked' wheels (no tires/TPMS sensors, etc.) or just drop off the vehicle and they take it from there?
Maybe in bigger cities you'll find an all in one. But in my city of 200K you have to bring in bare wheels.
The place I use for my side biz has wheels all the time...
Edit; IIRC right they charge $100 per wheel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Isn't GM being sued via class action for wheel peeling and other issues?

Might want to stand pat for the moment, if so.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts

Peeling wheels is hardly worthy of a class action suit........but I guess there's a lawyer in every dark corner looking to make a buck.

·
Registered
324 Posts

Don't have any issues at the moment. Just curious about the cost/procedure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Peeling wheels is hardly worthy of a class action suit........but I guess there's a lawyer in every dark corner looking to make a buck.
Nevermind. The suit is for cracked wheels and seems to apply to the C7 Corvette. More info here.

I knew I saw something on wheels, just wasn't sure what it was. Carry on.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I am dropping it off for 3 days and pick up when complete. It’s scheduled to go in 2 weeks after she gets back from the dealership. Having the trans looked at, figured I give it plenty of time for them to do whatever they need. It’s costing me 150.00 a wheel which was pretty good for my area. I’ll post some pics when done. Went with a gunmetal instead of straight black.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts