GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I pulled my motorcycle trailer for the first time with my awd Acadia. The trailer and the dirt bikes probably weigh no more than 1500 lbs or maybe a little less. I left the shifter in the L position so I could manually shift if I wanted too. On the freeway you could hardly tell the trailer was there as long as the road was flat. For the most part 6th gear was too tall for anything except very flat roads. In 5th gear the engine seemed much happier at the speed I was traveling which was about 60 mph. I started out at an elevation of 1000' above sea level and started climbing to my final destination of 6800'. The first part of the climb was the steepest and I kept the trans in 3rd or 4th with shift to 2nd on slow tight corners. The car pulled the grades fine and I was able to keep up with traffic without ever having to push the engine really hard. The temp gage did climb several notches above the 210 mark and at that point I turned off the A/C for the remaining distance. The temp did drop back down but would again climb back up in tight corner and slow moving traffic. At no point did it ever overheat, but the outside temp was only in the high 70's or very low 80's. There was never a problem with braking, and the handling was unaffected also. If the trailer had been 3000 lbs or greater I feel the car would have struggled and possibly overheated or come close to it. I don't think there would be any problem pulling a 3500 pound load on mostly flat ground and at a lower altitude. The vehicle is rated for 4500 lbs, but I would not pull that much unless it was at sea level, a cool day, and the car was not overloaded with people and gear.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you have the tow/haul button? If so, did you try that? I'd also be interested if next time you tried just leaving it in "D" and see how that works for you. You should find that the shift stabilization and grade braking features probably do almost as good a job as you do running in "L". Just a thought on something to try next time. You'll also find that if the transmission gets too hot, it will modify the shift points to help cool things back down.

I have towed 4500 lbs and never felt that the vehicle was "struggling" to do it. I've been to 10,000 feet with it and in 120 degree weather. It actually does pretty well.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did try the shift button, but according to the book it is designed for heavier loads, and I didn't really notice much difference except it did hold 2nd longer. I was actually very satisfied on how the car performed but was unsure how well it would do with a much heavier trailer. As far as the manual shifting, I like the control I have over the tranmission with out having to use so much throttle to get it to downshift. Just a personal preference. The car seemed real happy around 3000 to 3500 rpm climbing the different grades.

·
Registered
48 Posts
big bear craig said:
.. . The vehicle is rated for 4500 lbs, but I would not pull that much unless it was at sea level, a cool day, and the car was not overloaded with people and gear.
Remember that maximum towing weights include passengers and gear inside the vehicle. The weight of passengers and gear inside must be subtracted from the max 4500 lbs to get the max weight of the trailer that can be towed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
jcflorida said:
Remember that maximum towing weights include passengers and gear inside the vehicle. The weight of passengers and gear inside must be subtracted from the max 4500 lbs to get the max weight of the trailer that can be towed.
Nope, sorry, that is incorrect. the vehicle can tow 4500 lbs on a trailer. the GCVW (gross combined vehicle weight) is what you are refering to, and is 9500 lbs for fwd, 9700 lbs for awd.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actually the first quote is correct----the 9500 is the truck everything inside it and the trailer and whats on it. the 4500lbs rating is just with the driver---no pass. or cargo. :thumb:
toastyz71 said:
jcflorida said:
Nope, sorry, that is incorrect. the vehicle can tow 4500 lbs on a trailer. the GCVW (gross combined vehicle weight) is what you are refering to, and is 9500 lbs for fwd, 9700 lbs for awd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts