GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know I have gone back and forth on this whole buy american thing throughout my life but I have decided that for me, it really is important to BUY AMERICAN. I know they make a lot parts for American cars/trucks in other countries and they make many foreign cars in the U.S., BUT I live in Michigan and no state in this nation is in as bad of shape as Michigan (No, not even California). 15.2% unemployment and rising, abundance of foreclosures, multi-billion dollar budget deficit and ~900,000 jobs lost since 2000 (almost 10% of our entire state population!). They may make Toyotas in Indiana and Alabama but that doesn't help my state (forgive me for being biased but things are BAD here) and the ultimate profit goes back to Japan.

Last fall, I considered buying an AWD Toyota Sienna (real nice vehicle and only minivan with AWD). I did not buy it. I could not bare to drive a Japanese car around in the mecca of U.S. auto industry (Michigan) while it collapsed around us. I could not do it to my neighbors, many of whom are directly or indirectly employed by GM, Ford or Chrysler. I took my time and kept watching for the "right" car and I am proud to announce that I will be picking up my new 2009 GMC Acadia next Wednesday! This vehicle was made in Lansing, MI. (not far from where I live) and I will be proud to drive it around our great state and hopefully many others. I understand the opposing view points to my argument and I respect them. I just felt like venting my opinion and announcing to the world that I am proud of my new GMC Acadia and proud that it was made in the USA AND in my very own state!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
johns560 said:
You know I have gone back and forth on this whole buy american thing throughout my life but I have decided that for me, it really is important to BUY AMERICAN. I know they make a lot parts for American cars/trucks in other countries and they make many foreign cars in the U.S., BUT I live in Michigan and no state in this nation is in as bad of shape as Michigan (No, not even California). 15.2% unemployment and rising, abundance of foreclosures, multi-billion dollar budget deficit and ~900,000 jobs lost since 2000 (almost 10% of our entire state population!). They may make Toyotas in Indiana and Alabama but that doesn't help my state (forgive me for being biased but things are BAD here) and the ultimate profit goes back to Japan.

Last fall, I considered buying an AWD Toyota Sienna (real nice vehicle and only minivan with AWD). I did not buy it. I could not bare to drive a Japanese car around in the mecca of U.S. auto industry (Michigan) while it collapsed around us. I could not do it to my neighbors, many of whom are directly or indirectly employed by GM, Ford or Chrysler. I took my time and kept watching for the "right" car and I am proud to announce that I will be picking up my new 2009 GMC Acadia next Wednesday! This vehicle was made in Lansing, MI. (not far from where I live) and I will be proud to drive it around our great state and hopefully many others. I understand the opposing view points to my argument and I respect them. I just felt like venting my opinion and announcing to the world that I am proud of my new GMC Acadia and proud that it was made in the USA AND in my very own state!

:clap: :clap2: :clap: :clap2:

:cheers:

Congrats on the new wheels

·
Registered
540 Posts
johns560 said:

Congratulations on the new Acadia. With the state the U.S auto makers are in we should make every effort to purchase from U.S owned companies. Here in N.Y.C the city in buying so called GREEN cars,Prius,Escape,etc. The N.Y.P.D just purchased Nissan altima's which I feel is a slap in the face to U.S car manufacturers,their employees,and the police who have to drive these things.

Bobby

·
Super Moderator
22,403 Posts
Way to go!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Sounds like a well thought out decision. I hope you'll enjoy the Acadia.

DeForger said:
...The N.Y.P.D just purchased Nissan Altimas which I feel is a slap in the face to U.S car manufacturers,their employees,and the police who have to drive these things.
Yeah, that seems to be happening of late. :police: When I was working, the only foreign cars we used were seized from felons.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Congrat's John! :thumb:
Did you find one with a roof? Welcome to the family!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congratulations and thank you from a GM Retiree who lives where the Acadia is made. We are so thankful that our plant is one that is being kept, but sad for all those whose plants are closing. For many years our work force was close to 20,000 but now I think it is around three or four thousand.
And yes, the profits stay here in America!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Custom Inalfa Sunroof

I am guessing that you bought your SLE and then had an aftermarket roof installed? Pics of that would be nice

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jsimms said:
Custom Inalfa Sunroof

I am guessing that you bought your SLE and then had an aftermarket roof installed? Pics of that would be nice
You guessed correct. I'll post 'em as soon as I get 'em.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey, I know the feeling. Up until last September I had two Audis in the garage. Got the wife an '09 Acadia last September, and we just gave the other Audi the boot and it was replaced by a Pontiac G8 GT (which is mine!). Technically, the G8 is made in Australia by GM's Holden division down under, but as you say, ultimately the profits come back to the U.S.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
dj_jonnyv said:
Hey, I know the feeling. Up until last September I had two Audis in the garage. Got the wife an '09 Acadia last September, and we just gave the other Audi the boot and it was replaced by a Pontiac G8 GT (which is mine!). Technically, the G8 is made in Australia by GM's Holden division down under, but as you say, ultimately the profits come back to the U.S.
How do you like the G8? I've owned several Grand Prixs over the years and was sorry when they discontinued the model. Been looking at the G8 for awhile now - it has my attention.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
mikemu said:
Been looking at the G8 for awhile now - it has my attention.
It also has the attention of law enforcement; they may have saved this model from extinction

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
jsimms said:
It also has the attention of law enforcement; they may have saved this model from extinction
It sounds like sales had picked up enough that they decided to produce it under the Caprice badge. Also makes sense for police fleets with RWD etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Back on topic..

While I do agree with supporting the NA market, I'm not sure I agree with supporting them when they run their business into the ground..

I'll probably get flamed for this, but if GM would've taken cues from the Imports and even Ford, they would been alot better off during this recession. But of course the higher ups saw the past five years as a way to line their pockets, so they pulled the wool over their eyes and continued as if there was no problem. Quite frankly this pisses me off more than anything, because I feel that GM has great products, and well sometimes I almost feel embarrassed for supporting them considering some of the decisions they made.

I guess I can't really fault a couple guys trying to take advantage of NA, but whatever.

Oh yeah.. I do own an Acadia, and do support local properly run business's, just not so sure I should've supported this one.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
jb_lambda said:
Back on topic..

While I do agree with supporting the NA market, I'm not sure I agree with supporting them when they run their business into the ground..

I'll probably get flamed for this, but if GM would've taken cues from the Imports and even Ford, they would been alot better off during this recession. But of course the higher ups saw the past five years as a way to line their pockets, so they pulled the wool over their eyes and continued as if there was no problem. Quite frankly this pisses me off more than anything, because I feel that GM has great products, and well sometimes I almost feel embarrassed for supporting them considering some of the decisions they made.

I guess I can't really fault a couple guys trying to take advantage of NA, but whatever.

Oh yeah.. I do own an Acadia, and do support local properly run business's, just not so sure I should've supported this one.
It's much more complicated that you describe - union contracts etc. Given the size of the GM infrastructure pre CH11, they really had no way to survive the cash burn rate brought on by the massive economic meltdown. Ford may have prepared better in terms of managing liquidity but at the end of the day, GM was just too big and saddled with unmanagable union contracts/retiree relationships etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know it is much more complicated.

But you can tell by the first meeting with the Gov't, how much they attempted to reduce their spending ::).
Showing up in a private jet asking for money..

And who let them get into the situation with crazy unrealistic union contracts. they did. Quite frankly if they are willing to pay the floor sweeper $100g/yr, and the Business Analysts for GM didn't say anything, what kind of a company is that. (Well they were probably paid off).

Now I'm pretty sure someone had to say something in the past 10 years and yes, as complicated as it would've been, there is ways to get out of a situation. I don't care how big of company it is. But I guess people just get greedy and take til they suck everything dry, then ask the Gov't for help. Oops.. We screwed up, I promise it won't happen again ::).
As they get back in their private govt' funded jets and fly back to their multi-million dollar mansions, with nothing but bags of money and a hug from the gov't.

Like I said poorly run business.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
"Johns560", you are 100% right in your comments, and I think the same as you. Good for you for supporting our state, I wish everyone here in MI felt as you do. You should NOT be embarrassed for buying from GM, we need to support our country and state, regardless of what some of the business decisions are/have been. It's like kicking out your kids in the street for making mistakes.

"jb_lambda", I'm not going to "flame" you, but I do however feel that you are feeling shame in something that was not anything you or any of us could have stopped. You did the right thing, so don't apologize for buying GM, based on what their current situation is. If we don't support GM, the WHOLE U.S. will not exist, (as we know it today at least, perhaps it will be owned by China?) and that's the truth. It's so easy to say, "I wish they would go out of business, based on mistakes they've made, etc". But people who think that way just don't see what would happen. GM is not just any business like K-mart, or some retail chain like that, it's so hugely supported by so many hard working Americans who would have NO jobs if they were no more. It's like talking to a wall with a lot of folks, who don't see this, and I'm just one voice...people usually don't see the big picture. You did the right thing, " "jb_lambda", be proud of your decision, don't hide in shame.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't get me wrong.. I have no regrets or shame in buying NA. I'm just embarrassed to say I supported those idiotic decision makers.

Contrary to what I may have portrayed, I do realize that there are millions of people that would be indirectly and directly affected by this. I just wish these people we're not misled like they were.

You're statement just reiterates my comments even more.

How can a company that influences the lives of so many NA's, make such stupid decisions and run the business into the ground without anyone saying anything for so long. You'd think they would be more concerned with the bottom line since it is those people who are buying their product.

It's frustrating, because if the higher ups actually sat down and thought about the situation, listened to a 3rd party Analyst, made the changes as required a couple years ago. They'd still have jobs (not that we want them to), be making more money because people wouldn't be bitter about how much money the HU's were making, as they made the right decision at the time. Sure there would've been some cutbacks and closures but what industry hasn't had to do that in rough times.

It's sad. But I predict that GM will be claiming CH.11 again in another couple years. The Gov't folded too easily. We've gone through this up here with the Airlines, every 4-5 years they claim bankruptcy and are at it all over again. Mind you it's not the scale of GM, but porportionally it's the same (unions, retirees, etc.). It's just a vicious cycle that will continue for ever, unless there is bigger changes to the company. And I don't just mean faces, but actual contractual and procedural changes.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
johns560 said:
Yep, I'm sure it's bad in Michigan. Yet the state continues to vote for liberal Democrat politicians. How's that working out for you? I'll make you a deal: Elect some Republicans (or even conservative-leaning Democrats) to state offices and give Michigan's electoral votes to whoever is running against Barry O in 2012. Then I'll buy another Michigan-built car. Until then, GM and Michigan can kiss my :bootyshake:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
The next filing (one is needed) will be CH7 - not 11.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts