GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my 2017 this summer, and wintry weather has settled in hear in Michigan.

My 4x has worked great in the times I've needed it, and it will stay in 4x when you set it there unlike tow or sport mode.

Are there pros and cons to leaving it like that for extended periods? Wondering about wear and tear, mileage, etc.

My 97x would just kick it in when needed, so new territory for me here.

·
Super Moderator
19,001 Posts
Lots of threads on the forum about that subject. Search the forum using keywords "full-time awd" and read about what others have said about it in the first few threads of your search results..

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the same question when I purchased my '17. I approached the service writers (who asked their 'transmission guy') at the dealer and GMC customer service. Both had the same response: Don't use AWD unless you need it. Using it otherwise will cause additional wear and tear.
I've been frustrated by the response. First of all, you generally don't know you need AWD until you need it!!. Also the stability and control in the AWD mode far surpasses the FWD mode, so I'd love to be comfortable in using it all the timme..
I've never been able to get anything other than anecdotes on AWD vs FWD performance. I, like you would love to see a definitive response that says: 'the GMC's use the same transaxle as the xxxx which is a full time AWD system' or the GMC AWD system was designed as a PT AWD system.' ........ Something definitive!!
Good luck with your question. I'll follow your responses.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, just the other morning I was pulling out of the subdivision in 2wd and couldn't go. Stopped and put it in 4x and got out, but had to wait for another opening in traffic. The 97x would just kick it in and off I would go.

I am taking it in for my first CPO service in the next couple of weeks, I will ask and see what response I get.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, I've heard that before. However, at 80 mph in TX, conditions change quickly - too quickly to 'switch on the fly'. I run AWD FT when on the highway. It has already saved my life once, allowing me to successfully avoid a head on collision with a pick-up that had lost control on a freshly graveled 2-lane blacktop. (he ended up on his roof in the opposite bar ditch, by the way).

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just purchased my 2017 this summer, and wintry weather has settled in hear in Michigan.

My 4x has worked great in the times I've needed it, and it will stay in 4x when you set it there unlike tow or sport mode.

Are there pros and cons to leaving it like that for extended periods? Wondering about wear and tear, mileage, etc.

My 97x would just kick it in when needed, so new territory for me here.
I prefer AWD. The vehicle rides better in AWD and even better in sport mode. However, the vehicle does not remember sport mode but can remember 2WD and AWD.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lots of threads on the forum about that subject. Search the forum using keywords "full-time awd" and read about what others have said about it in the first few threads of your search results..
No one can give a complete answer. And GM always hesitates when answering. There must be a financial reason for doing so.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I prefer AWD. The vehicle rides better in AWD and even better in sport mode. However, the vehicle does not remember sport mode but can remember 2WD and AWD.
My opinion as well. Mine has been in AWD since I got it. Tried FWD a couple of times and there was more torque steer and wheel slippage so back to AWD and there it stays.

·
Registered
108 Posts
...And GM always hesitates when answering...
The closest thing I've ever seen to an 'official' GM response was in an AutoBlog article when the author questioned a GM exec about the complexity vs gains of decoupling the AWD.

"Both all-wheel-drive systems employ a neat trick: a driveshaft that can decouple from the transaxle when the driver locks the Acadia in front-drive mode. This seemed like a lot of complexity for what was probably a limited efficiency gain, so I cornered Vehicle Performance Manager Larry Mihalko for the down-low. The number he gave me was smaller than I imagined: it's only good for a 0.5-mpg gain, roughly. Why employ this gadget at all? Mihalko gave me a look. "There's no low-hanging fruit left," he said. Engineers poke and prod the vehicles for every gram of weight loss or efficiency improvement that may help meet federal standards. If a half-mpg gain helps sell some increased number of Acadias, according to some GM formula, then the tech goes in. The driveshaft decoupler passed the test."

Here's the entire article: https://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/13/2017-gmc-acadia-first-drive-review/

·
Super Moderator
19,001 Posts
Did you ever once think there is neither pro, nor con to it? Switchable FWD/AWD just seems like another "toy" added by the designers so the "techies" would have something to mull over while sipping, or smoking their whatever. In other words, it's another useless game added to your driveable play station.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Did you ever once think there is neither pro, nor con to it? Switchable FWD/AWD just seems like another "toy" added by the designers so the "techies" would have something to mull over while sipping, or smoking their whatever. In other words, it's another useless game added to your driveable play station.
I suspect the engineers had some reasoning in providing the FWD mode, otherwise they could have engineered it as full time AWD and turned it into a Subaru. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I leave my 2017 Denali in 4wd always! Mostly because when I come home I will forget to switch while going up steep gravel road until it’s too late!!
Only difference is one or two mpg. If I know I will be out for a few days on hwy. I switch to 2wd if I think of it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts