GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Acadians -- I need advice.

We have our Red Jewel on order, but it could be 60 days until delivery. We cannot wait that long.

We had to order the 2nd row bench because our dealer found no SLT-2's with bench anywhere in the region (we live in CO.)

Our current Yukon has captain's chairs and our reasons for going with bench were:
1) we wanted something different
2) we have three kids (7-yr, 6-yr, and 1-yr old in car seat) and we felt if they all occupied the 2nd row, we would have expanded cargo room in the back.
3) We also liked the cup holders in the arm rest that folds down with the 2nd row bench. Obviously, to use the cupholders, we would have one child in the 3rd row.

The dilemma is this- the dealer has an SLT-2 with White Diamond coming this week. With captain's chairs. (White and Red were our two favorite colors).

Do we go ahead and get the White now and forgo the Red Jewel with bench that may be coming in the next two months? I need to hear good things about the virtues of captain's chairs... ;D ;D

·
Registered
269 Posts
I feel your pain. It has now been 6 weeks since I placed our order for a Deep Blue SLT2 with the bench. Since that time my wife and I have discussed taking one with captains which is close to what we ordered. There is a Red AWD SLT2 with bench and exactly the options we ordered at our dealership right now, but it also has HID, NAV, and Trailering-- all things I wouldn't mind having, but add $2k in options and $2k in FWD/AWD upgrade and it would also start to top $40k after discounts.

We now expect to see our car in just a couple more weeks, and the waiting isn't much easier. I think we will be happier in the long run knowing we did wait for exactly what we wanted. And if you want the bench, I would say do the wait. If you can settle for some other options-- keep looking and scanning the inventories, my dealer didn't offer to go cruising the inventories for me, but knew I was, and if I saw one within 300-400 miles he said he would have it in a couple days for me, and we could scrap the order anytime.

There is another option, and that is to consider an Outlook. Since the captains are an upgrade for them, I am seeing a lot more Outlooks around here with the bench. When the dealer knows they are knocking $500 off the price of an Acadia, I just don't see them doing that a lot around here, expecially on the SLT2.

·
Registered
261 Posts
We have the captain's seats in the second row and whoever sits there says it is very comfortable. The red jewel is really nice, I wanted to see it and the white diamond before we bought our blue one but neither was around. I still haven' seen a white diamond Acadia. Since the dealer has the red who knows what can happen with the white one. The old bird in the hand.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If it was something you wanted enough to order in the first place, stick with it, and you'll be happier in the end that you got EXACTLY what you wanted.

As for the seats specifically, the buckets give a more individual space to the middle passengers, but the bench gives them a similar feeling along with more side to side stretch out space AND the ability to either carry a 3rd person in the middle or just set stuff there (the latter which we do constantly in our Suburban, whether it be a dog or just a bag of stuff). One side benefit to the buckets, however, is being able to climb between them to get to the 3rd row or else, without moving or folding them.

That all said, if it were a WD with the bench, I might say jump on it, but there was a reason you ordered what you did in the first place, and although it's very tempting and a lot of people succumb to getting an alternative, your order is already well on its way so just stick it out and be happy :thumb:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies...

one issue we have is the dealer is not very forthcoming on the status...other than the order was accepted by GM. He knows I know the codes so apparently we are not even close to production yet. If I knew production was week XX, then it would be easier to banish the thought of grabbing the White Diamond.

This is tough...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I really love the captain's chairs in our Acadia, but we only have 2 kids and will only have 2. Wiht the bench, you can put all three kids in the second row and have all that cargo space in he back. If you take roadtrips, you might need that extra room. Like CaddyCruiser said, I would wait for yours, unless you really love the white better. Since you most likely haven't seen the white, wait maybe a couple days to see if you can see the pictures. That way you can decide after seeing both colors. That's just my 2 cents! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I think caddycruiser described the differences fairly well. I would wait for what you really want. This vehicle is worth the wait!

Kelly

·
Registered
125 Posts
BloodRedHog, have you looked at or even considered a Saturn Outlook?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MrBiz said:
BloodRedHog, have you looked at or even considered a Saturn Outlook?
No. But I might need to. One thing I did not mention in my initial post is we are selling the Yukon to my sister this Friday. And I have a buyer for the BMW. So we would have to go with one vehicle until the Acadia arrives...hence our urgency to get something now.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Like many others have said, your best bet is to try to get the exact one you want. Waiting a few weeks for a car that you will probably own for many years is a small price to pay to avoid buyers remorse. Everyone has their person opinions and needs regarding the 2nd row. Personally, I wouldn't have even considered buying an Acadia if only bench seats were available. The Capts chairs are THE most important option that it has for our situation and what truly sets it apart from its competitors. On the other hand, there are members here who wouldn't consider buying it without the bench seat. The fact that we're given a choice is fantastic. Don't let the cupholders be your decision maker though, there are still FOUR other cupholders in the 2nd row without the armrest. My advice would be to visit a dealer with both types of seats if you can and see what you can live with, assuming you HAVE to take something on a lot - btw, have you done a THOROUGH dealer inventory search in a 250 mile radius using the techniques described in a thread posted here to make there isn't one close to what you want?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I searched for that thread...is it the one using gmbuypower.com?

·
Registered
119 Posts
BloodRedHog said:
I searched for that thread...is it the one using gmbuypower.com?
Yes, www.gmbuypower.com

Also, from reading other threads today, it seems that previously held up Acadias are getting delivered now to dealerships. It may work out that you find your preferred vehicle on a lot in the next week or so.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If your kids are anything like mine, putting 3 of them in one seat is asking for WW3 to break out. I only had 2 kids, but they could just not stand sitting with each other (great kids otherwise, but kids is kids! :banghead:
Probably better figure on using part of the rear seat as well, at least it splits so you can have some of it for storage!

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
If I had younger kids, I definitely would have gotten the captains chairs, both to enforce separation between the kids in the second row, and to allow them easier access to the third row (younger kids can just walk between the captains chairs without having to tilt & slide a seat). For my teenagers, the bench works great.

Kelly

·
Registered
200 Posts
I thought I wanted the bench, but after I test drove one with the captains, my kids said we HAVE to go that route, because of the ease in getting to the 3rd row between the captains.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have a large dog, the captains chairs are the only way to go. You can't have two kids and a dog comfortably share the bench. It is one of the biggest reasons for our interest in the vehicle.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I personally like the captain chairs in the 2nd row. But I only have two kids. Since you have three kids, I can see the following scenerio happen if you were to get the captain chairs in the 2nd row....

Obviously the youngest would sit in a car seat in the 2nd row. Then your other two older kids will argue about who gets to sit in the other captains chair. Conversely, if you were to get both bench seats, then the kids might fight with each other.

My recommendation is to buy a school bus. That way, you'll have 44 or so individual seats for them to choose from. And, if you decide to have more kids, you won't have to buy another vehicle to "bus" the kids around! :hyper:

·
Registered
43 Posts
With two young kids, the captains are the only way to go. As is stated previously, separation is key. The space between the seats acts as a built in referee!
And then when friends are present, they're not climbing over a bench to get to the back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I originally wanted captains chairs. Alas, there were only about 6 loaded SLT-2 Acadias in Northern California.

So, I went with my Carbon with Ebony Leather and a Bench rear seat.

Here are my thoughts:

Captains Chairs Pros: Comfortable.

Bench Seat Pros: 1. Kids can lay down. 2. they fold flat for cargo. 3. The center cup holders and compartment are a plus. 4. Hold an extra person in a pinch.

So, on balance, you save $500, and I believe that the benefits outweigh the single benefit of the Captains Chairs.

This is a VERY hard choice given the fact that most folks really do not have the ability to make an informed decision. Ultimately, the market will give us the answer.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I wanted a bench originally, but after a test drive with my kids, they loved the captains.

Add these to the captains' pros:
Easy access to 3rd row
Kid Separation
Cool Factor 8)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts