GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called the dealer and they said it would take an hour, and cost $130 to re-program my Fob (Glad I called, cause I had no idea it was called a fob, but it took me 3 minutes to find out how to do it on the internet..for free!)..

This information is in your Owners Manual in the Drivers Information Center Section. (Would have been nice for the dealer to tell me that)

1. Insert Key and turn to ON position so you can access Driver Information Center

2. Press the vehicle information button until
PRESS TO RELEARN REMOTE KEY displays

3. Press the set/reset button until
REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE displays

4. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the first keyless remote at the same
time for approximatley 15 seconds. A chime will sound indicating that the remote is
programmed.

On vehicles with memory recall seats, the first remote learned will match Driver 1
and the second will match Driver 2.

5. To program additional remotes at this time repeat step 3.
This vehicle can have a maximum of eight remotes programmed.

6. To exit programming mode turn key off and remove key.
Test remote(s).

In any case, I'll try it tonight and see if it works. I replaced the battery in the fob and it didn't work, lets hope it just needs to be re-programmed.

Cheers.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
that will work- if you have an older model.

But- 2012's and some 2011's- require the dealer to do this.
Its no longer an option on the DIC.

Key Fob Programming
January 1, 2011 7:41 PM
If the owner of a 2011 Impala, Escalade model, Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, or Yukon Denali XL requests to have a Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter (key fob) programmed, a scan tool must be used. This does not apply to Impala and Tahoe fleet vehicles.

TIP: Starting in the 2011 model year, key fobs can only be programmed using a scan tool.

In previous model years, it was possible to program key fobs for these vehicles using the vehicle's Driver Information Center (DIC), if equipped. Programming key fobs through the DIC is no longer an option on the 2011 model year vehicles.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I always thought it was silly for GM to decontent this option :sosad:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Soon you will need the dealer to start your engine.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
mikemu said:
Soon you will need the dealer to start your engine.
aint that the truth :mad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes!!! I may barely be able to find my car battery in these new cars, can't change a fan belt or spark-plugs without taking the engine out of the car, or figure out why a warning light is on without the aid of a GMC/NASA computer...but I can still program my 2008 Acadia's fob!

Victory is mine!!!!!!! It worked! :thumb:

(My condolenses to those 2011 and newer owners who are now forced to go to a dealership and spend $130 to have the same thing done)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Bluesmtb said:
Yes!!! I may barely be able to find my car battery in these new cars, can't change a fan belt or spark-plugs without taking the engine out of the car, or figure out why a warning light is on without the aid of a GMC/NASA computer...but I can still program my 2008 Acadia's fob!

Victory is mine!!!!!!! It worked! :thumb:

(My condolenses to those 2011 and newer owners who are now forced to go to a dealership and spend $130 to have the same thing done)
I am glad to read that you were able to program the key fob for your Acadia.

Michelle, GMC Customer Service

·
Registered
508 Posts
AA/78U said:
I always thought it was silly for GM to decontent this option :sosad:
And even though we may assume/think it was for a simple MONEY GRAB - GM will never admit it. But, on the flipside, it could be for security reasons couldn't anyone get their hands on a "new" FOB, and if they new this process inside out, steal your car, or am I missing something here?

But I agree, a full 1 hour of labour to do something which probably only takes 1-2 minutes? That is ridiculous IMO.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Programming your fob (That remote start, lock, thing on your keychain)

And even though we may assume/think it was for a simple MONEY GRAB - GM will never admit it. But, on the flipside, it could be for security reasons couldn't anyone get their hands on a "new" FOB, and if they new this process inside out, steal your car, or am I missing something here?

But I agree, a full 1 hour of labour to do something which probably only takes 1-2 minutes? That is ridiculous IMO.
Can't steal the car without a key. Can't program the fob without a key. The key has a transponder that you CANNOT program yourself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I tried to reprogram my remote. It worked on the locks. But the remote start and the liftgate did nothing. Should it just have worked on everything? I called the dealer and got the exact part number I needed and he said that i would need the 5 button remote. Any suggestions?

Thanks
~Nikki

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Programming your fob (That remote start, lock, thing on your keychain)

Matno said:
Can't steal the car without a key. Can't program the fob without a key. The key has a transponder that you CANNOT program yourself.
Hello, please explain how I cannot program myself.......just trying to understand. I used the instructions that I posted at the top of this post, and the car starts, drives, and shuts off the alarm if it goes off after locking and unlocking the doors.....it appears programmed....

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you have a working transponder key that will start your car you can program a new transponder key to work on your car by following instructions easily found on the internet. If you have no transponder key that will start your car, you would have to see the dealer to reprogram the system for new keys.

The key fobs for older model years could be programmed by the owner. Starting in 2012 the key fobs have to be programmed by the dealer or shop with the proper equipment.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Newer models (2012 and up, IIRC) don't have the DIC option to program the key fobs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
GMC Customer Service said:
I am glad to read that you were able to program the key fob for your Acadia.

Michelle, GMC Customer Service
I followed the owner's manual instructions for programming my fobs, however, once I get one programmed, the other fob (2) seems deprogrammed. In programming this other fob (2), the first fob is deprogrammed. Ugh!
I originally decided to try reprogramming my fobs due to the remote starting option failing to work. For a period, it seemed to work, however, it was short lived.
I most recently replaced both batteries in the fobs. This is when I encountered the programmed/deprogrammed problem.

Any helps is appreciated,
CH

·
Registered
1 Posts
I followed the owner's manual instructions for programming my fobs, however, once I get one programmed, the other fob (2) seems deprogrammed. In programming this other fob (2), the first fob is deprogrammed. Ugh!
I originally decided to try reprogramming my fobs due to the remote starting option failing to work. For a period, it seemed to work, however, it was short lived.
I most recently replaced both batteries in the fobs. This is when I encountered the programmed/deprogrammed problem.

Any helps is appreciated,
CH
Any Chance you Figured this out? im having the same problem on a 09 buick allure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts