GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To preface my question, I've programmed many Homelink systems, this is my 2nd Acadia and I've read the manual. That said...

How the *%#! do you program the Homelink? I followed the instructions, I tried the key in different positions, I've tried the remote, the learn button on the opener unit, ARGH! I don't remember this being so hard on the first Acadia.

It's a rolling code system. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I followed the instructions on mine and it worked fine. Have someone else try it following the instructions. If it still doesn't work, take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny you mention the dealer. I stopped by one today (one of my DRLs was out) and he printed the instructions from the GM site. They were different than the manual! Those instructions didn't work either.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I could not get mine to work at first either, but I do remember I had to get my garage door opener instructions out to make it work. It seems to me that I had to follow the car instructions to get the homelink to learn something from my transmitter, but then after that I had to do something with the garage opener so that it would accept the homelink as another valid transmitter for my opener.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a rolling code garage opener as well, and have had problems programming these types of transmitters in the past. You should have a learn button on the garage opener itself, which you need to press in order for the Homelink to properly work with the rolling code technology. Have you pushed this button?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem solved. I didn't realize that you had to use both the hand-held remote and the learn button on the garage motor unit.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Glad to help. I know how frustrating these things can be.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'm glad this worked out. I had to "read the Dodge book" to delete the Homelink code in our Durango when we sold it (this was easier than expected). I was not looking forward to a hassle adding the Acadia, but need to redo some stuff around here anyway so far as door assignments and remotes- I somehow managed to get my Durango to open my first door and Mr. Blue's if it is in the right place between the buildings.

·
Registered
60 Posts
atljoe said:
Problem solved. I didn't realize that you had to use both the hand-held remote and the learn button on the garage motor unit.
Thanks for the help.
atljoe,

So what exactly is the sequence of events that you have to do in order to properly program the Home Link? I am going to do it for my Acadia this weekend and would help if I can streamline the procedure. I struggled with my old Yukon and my wife's Vovlo XC90 and finally gave up on both out of frustration. Sounds like I am missing a step that you were missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

turfster26

·
Registered
104 Posts
I still haven't gotten mine to work with the new opener. I had an Idrive system that worked with the homelink, but after 3 different Idrive units i decided to go to a different opener. The one i got has the rolling code and i still can't get it to work. I've tried the manual and the one with the opener, all to no avail. Maybe i'll try again one day when i feel like wasting my time. :angryfire:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
JLF said:
I still haven't gotten mine to work with the new opener. I had an Idrive system that worked with the homelink, but after 3 different Idrive units i decided to go to a different opener. The one i got has the rolling code and i still can't get it to work. I've tried the manual and the one with the opener, all to no avail. Maybe i'll try again one day when i feel like wasting my time. :angryfire:
I have a rolling code opener also, mine is working fine.
Make sure you push the learn button on the garage door opener. Without that, the opener will not learn the new homelink button.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
turfster26 said:
atljoe said:
Thanks for the help.
atljoe,

So what exactly is the sequence of events that you have to do in order to properly program the Home Link? I am going to do it for my Acadia this weekend and would help if I can streamline the procedure. I struggled with my old Yukon and my wife's Vovlo XC90 and finally gave up on both out of frustration. Sounds like I am missing a step that you were missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

turfster26

First - You must have the Acadia learn the type of transmitter you have. To do that, you follow the instructions in the Acadia manual. This will make your Acadia button act like a brand new transmitter. But if you go buy a brand new transmitter, it won't open your garage and neither will the Acadia at this time.

Second - You need to use the instructions from your opener. On mine there is a purple button on the opener in the garage that you press and hold. While holding it, you then press the button in the Acadia. The opener will then receive the code from the Acadia and from that point forward accept the Acadia as one of its valid transmitters. This process took two people for me as I was up on a ladder to press and hold the purple button.

One of my instructions actually said that the process may not work the first time and I may need to repeat it 2-3 times for it to work. Mine worked on the 2nd try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Basically...

Hold the two outside buttons for 20 seconds (light flashes fast). This clears the memory.

Hold the remote next to the Homelink. Hold the remote's button along with the button you want programmed for about 5 seconds.

Then, press the "learn" button the the garage unit and hold the Homelink button again for about 10 seconds. It should work now.

I can't remember if the red light flashes quickly or turns solid to indicate the step is complete.

·
Registered
34 Posts
you have to reprogram both the car and the remote sequentially, which the manuals don't talk about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Programming Homelink -- short / poor range ???

Is anyone else experiencing really short / poor range distance for the home link remote garage door opener?
I know it is not the opener itself as the other remotes work from over 100 feet away.

For our acadia / enclave / traverse, it needs to almost touch the garage door before it works and even appears to be sensitive to the direction the vehicle is facing?

ANy help appreciated. The dealer says it is working fine, and were supposed to talk to a GM tech but then said they were not available since the bankruptsy. a crock of [email protected]#

-Guy
gschlact

·
Registered
168 Posts
Something is wrong. It should work further than touching the door. The dealership is giving you BS, try another one. I may add, ours has limited distance compared to our other GM vehicles we have, but still works from a decent distance.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Well, I just finished programming the Homelink buttons in my wife's new 2010 Traverse. It was extremely easy, and a little different than some of what I've read here, but followed the directions in the owner's manual.

1) Held both outside buttons until the light went from a slow flash to a steady fast flash. This erased any previous settings that might have been there from the factory or service department.

2) Held the transmitter about 1 inch away from the Homelink unit, pressed both the transmitter button and the Homelink button I wanted it to respond to. Held both buttons until the light flashed rapidly, than release both buttons.

3) Press and hold the newly trained button and observed the light. If it stayed on continuously, the door should move. Mine did not. Since my light blink rapidly for two seconds and turned constant, more steps were needed because of rolling codes in the garage opener head unit.

4) Press and released the "Learn" button on the garage head unit, than had 30 seconds to complete the last step.

5) Press the button you programmed for two seconds, and release it. If the door did not respond, press and release it for two seconds a second time. If the door did not respond, press for two seconds a third time, and the button should now operate the door.

For my one door, I had to press the button 3 times like stated in step 5 before the door worked. For the other door, I only had to press the button twice before the door moved.

If you are having trouble, too much time may be passing before you proceed with the next step, since you only have a limited amount of time to follow all steps. If you have tried several attempts, start over and erase any programming using step 1.

Also, if you are in Canada or trying to operate a U.S. gate operator, the transmitter signal may only last a few seconds, not long enough for Homelink to learn. There is an addition step if you need it.

Took less than 10 minutes to program her buttons and didn't have to repeat any steps at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
GAR said:
First - You must have the Acadia learn the type of transmitter you have. To do that, you follow the instructions in the Acadia manual. This will make your Acadia button act like a brand new transmitter. But if you go buy a brand new transmitter, it won't open your garage and neither will the Acadia at this time.

Second - You need to use the instructions from your opener. On mine there is a purple button on the opener in the garage that you press and hold. While holding it, you then press the button in the Acadia. The opener will then receive the code from the Acadia and from that point forward accept the Acadia as one of its valid transmitters. This process took two people for me as I was up on a ladder to press and hold the purple button.

One of my instructions actually said that the process may not work the first time and I may need to repeat it 2-3 times for it to work. Mine worked on the 2nd try.
Thanks for taking the time to write this summary. I know it was several years back, but it just helped me out quite a bit. Your explanation helped me figure out I wasn't even making it past the first step (never could get the lights to blink quickly). After switching to another remote (even though the first one would open the garage door just fine), I blew right through the remaining steps and it now works great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts