GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -- Often when trying to open my driver's side window on my 2008 Acadia with approx. 11,000 miles, the power button is unresponsive, and I need to keep trying many times until the window finally goes down. Anyone else having this type of problem?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I have moved your post to the problems board so it will be easier to find vs. the general section.

I'm not aware of any recent posts regarding power window problems, but have not searched for the issue either.

Switches can fail, so that would be the first thing to have checked since you are still under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm just at 31K miles, and mine (driver's side only) started doing that recently. It works instantly on all the other windows but I have to fidget with mine multiple times for it to go down. I will be bringing it into the shop soon for that and another (unrelated I presume) acceleration issue.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, mine has done this on about 3 different occasions in 10K miles and after fiddling with it for a few seconds, it works. Strange.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have also had that happen a few times. I have only 9000 miles and it is frustrating but after a few presses of the button the window works again.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This may not be your problem but it might be. When you start your Acadia, several circuits are killed while you are starting the car. My A/C dies and my built in DVD player dies....then restarts several seconds after the vehicle has started. I don't know if this is to conserve power or to protect eletronics. However, my drivers window switch dies and no other window switches do. The cricuit that that drivers window is on, is one of the circuits that is being disabled while the vehicle is starting. I have found that after starting the car, my drivers window doesn't work for about 10 seconds, then ta-da it starts working when they repower the circuit. Are the times you have experienced this right after you started the car? then you try a couple of times and during that time the circuit is repowered? Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
In line with what s2acadia is saying, I noticed when we remote start and get in, the AC fan is going. When we cycle the key to "on", the AC fan (and probably some other stuff as well) die out for the stated time period (10 secs or so), and then come back on. I'll have to try the window switch next time we do this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2009 Acadia with about 10,000 miles (6/15/10)- power window (driver side) problem. The window works most of the time but randomly it will not work. I will hit the power window button and the window will not move. I do not hear any sound- it just does not respond. I have to hit the switch a few times before the window will kick in. NO OTHER WINDOW HAS THIS PROBLEM. Also, the problem seems to be getting worse. I have to juggle the switch longer as time goes by.

I called the dealer regarding this problem and they will not look at it until the window is completely stuck. I have to go on a road trip and can not afford to have a window stuck in the down position.

Has anyone experience the same problem and what did the dealer do to fix the problem?

Stephen Galayda

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
galayda said:
2009 Acadia with about 10,000 miles (6/15/10)- power window (driver side) problem. The window works most of the time but randomly it will not work. I will hit the power window button and the window will not move. I do not hear any sound- it just does not respond. I have to hit the switch a few times before the window will kick in. NO OTHER WINDOW HAS THIS PROBLEM. Also, the problem seems to be getting worse. I have to juggle the switch longer as time goes by.

I called the dealer regarding this problem and they will not look at it until the window is completely stuck. I have to go on a road trip and can not afford to have a window stuck in the down position.

Has anyone experience the same problem and what did the dealer do to fix the problem?

Stephen Galayda
So the driver's window fails at random times or the same time all the time? As stated in previous posts; are you remote starting and then having the issue? I'm thinking it may be the switch or the windows might need a reprogram. What model year Acadia?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi -- My Acadia still has the driver's side power window problem of a delayed opening. An earlier post hit it right on the mark. My window problem is always when I first start the car and I find if I wait a few seconds after starting the car, the driver's side window will go down fine. All other windows don't seem to have this delay problem, but it's one I can live with as long as it goes down after a few seconds. I don't have any problems raising the driver's side window, which seems to be a problem for you, Stephen. I didn't go to the dealer to fix the window problem so I'm not of much help. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Remote start or key start or both?

·
Registered
3 Posts
AA/78U said:
So the driver's window fails at random times or the same time all the time? As stated in previous posts; are you remote starting and then having the issue? I'm thinking it may be the switch or the windows might need a reprogram. What model year Acadia?
2009 Acadia SL-the driver window fails at random times. No remote starting. Does the window switch have a computer built into it?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
galayda said:
2009 Acadia SL-the driver window fails at random times. No remote starting. Does the window switch have a computer built into it?
IIRC; the window switch takes direction from the BCM (body control module); it could be the actual switch

·
Registered
3 Posts
galayda said:

Also- when the problem first started, I only had to hit the button a few times to get the window moving. As time goes by- when the problem occurs, I have to hit the buttom more and more to get the window moving. The problem seems to be getting worse.

Biggest problem- the dealer does not want to work on it until the window is completely dead. I understand that a random problem is hard to fix but it sure sounds like a faulty button to me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't use the windows very much, but I'm seeing the same issue on our remote mirror switch. Next time your window cuts out, try the remote mirrors to see if they cut out as well. If they do, it must be a pwr issue since they are on the same panel. The mirrors are cutting out regardless of using remote start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2008 Acadia has had a delayed function on the driver's window after starting the car since the date of purchase. It always went away after about 5 to 10 seconds.

Recently, I noticed the right rear passenger window was intermittently not closing (not just after start up). By pushing the button to go down, it then was willing to go up.

Clearly there is an electrical button/computer control problem here.

Does anyone know of a TSB that I can point to when I take it into the dealer before the warranty is up?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having similar problem now and had my mechanic friend looking at it. We found the wiring harness leading from the door to the vehicle body was filled with water and the socket on the vehicle was corroded inside (green pins)
At this moment my drivers door window control will not go up and I thought it would not go down either but just yesterday while picking up my vehicle at the park'n'fly in Toronto my window was partially down. That would not be such a big deal however its freezing rain out. While trying to get window up it suddenly went all the way down. My 1 hour drive on the 401 highway was rather cold and wet. Now the window will not go up at all. I hear the relay click and the motor squeal a bit when the switch is pulled up. To change the harness the entire dash needs to be removed. Gonna be big $$

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
howes said:
Having similar problem now and had my mechanic friend looking at it. We found the wiring harness leading from the door to the vehicle body was filled with water and the socket on the vehicle was corroded inside (green pins)
At this moment my drivers door window control will not go up and I thought it would not go down either but just yesterday while picking up my vehicle at the park'n'fly in Toronto my window was partially down. That would not be such a big deal however its freezing rain out. While trying to get window up it suddenly went all the way down. My 1 hour drive on the 401 highway was rather cold and wet. Now the window will not go up at all. I hear the relay click and the motor squeal a bit when the switch is pulled up. To change the harness the entire dash needs to be removed. Gonna be big $$
Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry you are having such a pain-in-the-butt problem.

Please post the year and model of your Acadia, any options, ect.

Depending on how much of the dash needs to come apart, it might not be a big deal. I've had my dashboard apart pretty far (not completely apart) and have found it is very simple in the Acadia to remove panels and reinstall them.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The inoperable master (driver side) power window problem seems common on most GM cars in these years. I found that I can buy a master switch online but I could not figure out how to open the switch panel (arm rest) on Acadia 2007. Does anyone know how to open it? There is a video on youtube from A1 Auto, it shows how to replace this master switch on Chevy Traverse. It looks easy but I still had hard time to open it. I used a flat screw driver to push the upper armrest panel up as shown in the video but it did not go anywhere. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
it should be the same.. the vehicles share many parts

1 - 20 of 32 Posts