GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was headed out on a business trip at the beginning of the week. I decided to leave the Acadia at home (so as not to park it in one of those airport valet parking lots). I took my wife's minivan instead. On my way the check engine light came on (checked the gas cap & it was ok). Now that I'm back home I'd rather drive the crippled minivan so my wife has a reliable vehicle. They can't look at the minivan until Friday.

The problem is I'm afraid my wife will like the Acadia so much I won't get it back...!

·
Registered
812 Posts
:clap:

·
Registered
99 Posts
tm59 said:
I was headed out on a business trip at the beginning of the week. I decided to leave the Acadia at home (so as not to park it in one of those airport valet parking lots). I took my wife's minivan instead. On my way the check engine light came on (checked the gas cap & it was ok). Now that I'm back home I'd rather drive the crippled minivan so my wife has a reliable vehicle. They can't look at the minivan until Friday.

The problem is I'm afraid my wife will like the Acadia so much I won't get it back...!
LOL - You might have a problem there. If my husband was getting the Acadia instead of me, I want to steal it. ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Tell your wife that the Check Engine light means that the engine has been checked and is in tip-top shape!

·
Registered
389 Posts
My check engine light in my Accord has been on for over a year. It is the catalytic converter and we just kept putting it off until it is time to pass emissions testing again. Which is right now! Gotta add that to my to do list....

I would keep the Acadia if I was her too!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mama2girls said:
My check engine light in my Accord has been on for over a year. It is the catalytic converter and we just kept putting it off until it is time to pass emissions testing again. Which is right now! Gotta add that to my to do list....

I thought Honda's never have any problem. They are the perfect car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
tm59 said:
Just buy 2.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you don't want her to take it from you, then you'll just have to take it with you. ;D

·
Registered
389 Posts

I thought Honda's never have any problem. They are the perfect car.
Yup...Honda's are so perfect...I just spent $900 yesterday so it can pass emissions and safety inspection today.

And, on the way to drop my car off, we passed an Acadia. On the way to pick it up lat night, we passed another Acadia. I think it is a sign, since I have never seen two in one day. My husband says he doesn't want to spend $5000 more than we could spend on another Honda (an Ody minivan) on an Acadia when our other cars need work. I say we just buy the car with the 5 year warranty, the Acadia, not the Ody). He says we will need to buy another car in another year or so and doesn't want to put more $ into my new car now, leaving him with less for a new car for him. :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
624 Posts
mama2girls, you need to slap your husband. I have my wife a "fully loaded" Enclave on order (with AWD nonetheless - and we live in the SE) because that is what she wanted to replace her minivan. I have MORE miles on my car and will be driving around in my Grand Am GT (150K miles) for another 2-3 years until we pay off her Enclave.......and I did this WILLINGLY because she shuttles around all 4 of our kids during the week while I drive around by myself in my car. Trust me, I will not be happy having the crappy old car in the household, but at least I will be able to drive the Enclave on the weekends and trips! :thumb: The long and short of it is, I would rather my wife have the newer, more reliable vehicle because getting stuck with car trouble with 4 kids in the car by yourself as a mom is WAY more of a headache than me breaking down on a sales call, etc.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Oh, I won't slap him. That won't get me what I want! And, of course, he was raised right, he fully subscribes to that theory, that the wife gets the newer, safer, nicer car. Mine is one year newer than his car. We just don't buy cars often. That is not our way.

On Saturday, I was gone working an event all day with my sister and he had soccer duty with my 3 year old an 6 year old. In the 100+ degree heat. And the 3 year old cried for an hour and wouldn't get on the field. And then my car (the "newer, safer," one I might add) died in the middle of a six lane intersection. That has never happened to that car in 7 years of ownership! He got on the phone to me and was steaming - because the car was overheating, it was hot outside, the kids were hot, and he said "This happening today and the other car having oil leaks does not make me want to spend $39,000 on a new car right now." Later on that night is when he said he would go and buy me a fully loaded Ody tomorrow though. We have the money sitting in the bank right now to spend on a car. He just hates seeing it all spent in one place.

Finally, I said I would rather wait a couple months for an Acadia than go buy an Ody tomorrow. I think he just doesn't realize how long one of our accords will last him. They are both about 120,000 miles. Heck, my last accord I had until 211,000! I don't think we will *have* to replace it in a year or two. I think it will keep going for a while. Now, that we spent $ to fix it. And the overheating? A total fluke - just low on coolant - luckily nothing wrong with the radiator. Now, with break lights working properly and the catalytic converter doing its converting thing to the exhaust, he can sell his car "as is" with the oil leaks and then he should enjoy this well running Honda for years to come. While I enjoy my Acadia! ;D

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: From Sept 10th when I took the minivan to the airport to the $2500 I just plunked down for a new tranny for it; I'm still "test driving" the minivan. I think my Acadia is getting farther & farther away...

Seriously, Wednesday we switch back & I get the Acadia again... :clap:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts