GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Acadia AT4 2021
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my 2021 Acadia for about 8-9 weeks.
the electric parking brake has turned itself on over 15 times. Thankfully Not while driving! Lol

i have to manually press the parking brake button to disengage it each time.
took car to dealer. They ran all tests and found nothing.

manual says the brake will turn itself on at times to check to make sure it’s working but this seems excessive!?!?

just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem.
thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,777 Posts
i have to manually press the parking brake button to disengage it each time.
The parking brake should disengage on its own once the vehicle is put in gear and you start driving it.

Reactions: jmaayah

·
Registered
26 Posts
The parking brake will also turn on automatically if you park on an incline. But speleos is correct, just put the car in gear and as soon as you touch the accelerator it will disengage, or you can turn it off with the button.

·
Registered
Acadia AT4 2021
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The parking brake will also turn on automatically if you park on an incline. But speleos is correct, just put the car in gear and as soon as you touch the accelerator it will disengage, or you can turn it off with the button.
ok but I think I put it in reverse one time and it didn’t turn of. I’ll kee an eye out for that

tyvm

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
ok but I think I put it in reverse one time and it didn’t turn of. I’ll kee an eye out for that

tyvm
Pretty sure you have to tap the gas after putting it in gear, not just putting in gear.
That said, I always push the button to disengage... but I don't ever recall it engaging automatically. Maybe I always set it, never allowing it to do so itself.

Reactions: JayTee2019

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Pretty sure you have to tap the gas after putting it in gear, not just putting in gear.
That said, I always push the button to disengage... but I don't ever recall it engaging automatically. Maybe I always set it, never allowing it to do so itself.
Agree, but unsure about having the E-brake set and then going from Park to Reverse like I do on our driveway. . . which is also on an incline. I will have to check, but every time I can recall the E-brake remains set under that condition and I have to manually press the E-brake button to release it. Stepping on the gas. .. no go, but maybe I didn't step on the gas enough? I have read what the owner's manual says and our 2019 seems to work somewhat like it says, but also has some anomalies.
I'll try this out next time in reverse or drive.

·
Super Moderator
21,777 Posts
People should read their owners manuals about the electric parking brake (EPB) system and its operation. The section is very close to the beginning of the book and easily found in the index.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I never use the parking brake. In the 3 years of owning my '18, It auto set itself once. When I started to drive away it released.

On my '14 Caddy CTS, it auto set every couple of months. Never failed to release when moving the car forward or in reverse.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Interesting.. . mine has never "auto set" and I back out and stop on my inclined driveway every time we use the Acadia.
I have to manually set it if desired. Then when I put it in reverse to continue backing out into the street, I have to manually release it. Maybe i have to give it more gas pedal? The parking brake message stays displayed on the DIC until I do manually release.

·
Super Moderator
21,777 Posts
Automatic EPB operation is another one of those things with strange contingencies for when it will or won't work. IDGAF about it as long as the e-brakes are on/off when I want. I just hope that if the EPB system fails the e-brakes will be OFF so I can go somewhere to get it fixed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine has "Auto Set" several times. I cannot find any reason for this to happen. I don't consider it a problem, just a curiosity.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Automatic EPB operation is another one of those things with strange contingencies for when it will or won't work. IDGAF about it as long as the e-brakes are on/off when I want. I just hope that if the EPB system fails the e-brakes will be OFF so I can go somewhere to get it fixed.
No $#[email protected], right? Give me a manual parking brake any day of the week. What if it fails when needed — like when towing and parking on an incline? Or like the scenario you outlined, locks up and won't let you go anywhere?

I don't have one of these newfangled electronics, but I really don't care for the parking brake having a mind of its own. A Boeing 737 Max at this point is only as good as its HUMAN programming!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Mine has "Auto Set" several times. I cannot find any reason for this to happen. I don't consider it a problem, just a curiosity.
I do not view how it works as a "problem" either.
However, based on how some have described the operation it is curious.

I would just prefer the all manual cable operated parking brake like I have on my truck. No guessing, no auto anything.
It just is either set or released with no electronic nanny taking over. (y)

·
Super Moderator
21,777 Posts
The "reason" is likely described in your owners manual. I actually think it's a novel idea. Periodic auto-engagement of the e-brake probably helps keep the solenoid plunger clean and maintains any 'adjustment' that might be needed to compensate for pad wear.

·
Registered
Acadia AT4 2021
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi
it engaged the parking brake today while in a barely slanted driveway but turned off when I hit the gas.
thanks so much.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Wondering if some are confusing the "hill holder" feature with the auto set e-brake?

Hill holder will release when the gas pedal is pressed also.

Reactions: krbender

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wondering if some are confusing the "hill holder" feature with the auto set e-brake?

It says right in the manual the park brake (says park in bright red on the dash) will release when the gas is pressed a bit. Mine doesn't have the hill hold assist. I've tried it in mine and it does release, but I don't really like it. Backing out of the garage on the gas just seems unnecessary and a good way to lose a mirror. I'll just hit the button. It is a pretty arbitrary system though. I opened the door this morning to grab my sunglasses so I could drive my other car to work, and as I leaned in to grab them, the park brake engaged, on flat ground in the garage. I tried duplicating that this evening, nothing. Doesn't bother me, but it does make it hard to explain to the wife why its on this morning, and again when she went shopping, but when she parked it on a hill for an hour, it didn't bother.

·
Super Moderator
21,777 Posts
Hill start assist (HSA) will also release automatically after a few seconds if the gas pedal isn't depressed.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Hill start assist (HSA) will also release automatically after a few seconds if the gas pedal isn't depressed.
Yes. . that is how it works on our Acadia as the owners manual states. Unlike the e-brake which seems fitful.

·
Super Moderator
21,777 Posts
.... Unlike the e-brake which seems fitful.
I get into enough situations where EPB is automatically engaged that the self-check is likely ignored.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts