GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '08 on Sep. 1 and it has only 2,500 miles on it, almost entirely consisting of city driving. It also still has the factory oil/oil filter inside. I'm getting ready to leave next Sunday on a trip to Virginia for Christmas, which will be the Acadia's first major trip.

Does anyone have advice on whether I should have the oil changed for the first time before the trip? Or perhaps get it changed while I'm up in VA before the return trip to Florida? I'm going to use Moble 1 synthetic beginning with my first change, so my only question is timing. Any thoughts?

I'm also considering playing around with octanes on the trip -- riding up north on regular 87 and trying mid-grade on the way back -- to see if there is any noticeable MPG differences.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If it were me, I'd change the oil. And, use a blended oil. I have a sister-in-law that works for a chemical company, and she says that there is no wear, or added benefit difference by using fully synthetic in an average vehicle. If you've got the money to blow, full synthetic is OK. But if you don't, it won't make any difference to use 50/50 blend.

Since you have an '08, you don't have the new DI engine. I'd be interested if you do see any milage difference in octane. One trip won't probably be enough to get a good idea though. Most likely your MPG will be different both ways, but not likely to octane. With wind, elevation changes, and other factors weighing much more on MPG.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree with the Mobil 1 oil change before leaving and only stick with the regular gas, use the money you save for something else.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I changed ours @ 500 miles and went with the Mobil 1. I'd go ahead & change it before you go. From what I've read, the two things that take a toll on oil are mileage (use) and time- it breaks down after sitting an extended amount of time.

Monitor your MPG and let us know how it goes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts